IGNORED

Cool places to live

o00o

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

starting to look like dwell magazine up in here.

I'd pretty much like a modest house that was totally balls out on the inside and neighbors that were very friendly but very far away.

Guest hahathhat

converted missile silo

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2009/10/missile-base-2/all/1

missile_base_2a.jpg

missile_base_11a.jpg

missile_base_4a.jpg

missile_base_4b.jpg

missile_base_5a.jpg

missile_base_5b.jpg

missile_base_6a.jpg

missile_base_6b.jpg

missile_base_6c.jpg

But not everything is out of order: In the background sit the two giant overhead silo doors. They cover the 185-foot hole in the ground where a missile armed with a nuclear warhead used to be. Townsley has managed to get one of these massive doors up and running. It took a bunch of local volunteers and a rented crane, but he finally cracked it open.

“I took out a loan against my truck to have a bracket built to be able to open the door,” said Townsley.

myself, i've always wanted a former telecoms bunker, the ones shock mounted, with independent systems designed to withstand a nuclear attack and keep systems running. once tech got good, computers shrunk, now lots of old bunkers on the market....

converted missile silo

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2009/10/missile-base-2/all/1

missile_base_2a.jpg

missile_base_11a.jpg

missile_base_4a.jpg

missile_base_4b.jpg

missile_base_5a.jpg

missile_base_5b.jpg

missile_base_6a.jpg

missile_base_6b.jpg

missile_base_6c.jpg

But not everything is out of order: In the background sit the two giant overhead silo doors. They cover the 185-foot hole in the ground where a missile armed with a nuclear warhead used to be. Townsley has managed to get one of these massive doors up and running. It took a bunch of local volunteers and a rented crane, but he finally cracked it open.

“I took out a loan against my truck to have a bracket built to be able to open the door,” said Townsley.

myself, i've always wanted a former telecoms bunker, the ones shock mounted, with independent systems designed to withstand a nuclear attack and keep systems running. once tech got good, computers shrunk, now lots of old bunkers on the market....

people get rickets when they live underground

i started designing my own house on monday actually. maybe i'll post the plans when/if i get it finished. it's a fairly modest, 3 bedroom house and hopefully achievable one day. the problem is too many ideas.

In that first one, i like the plantings in the garden, and how they cut medieval styled windows into those giant concrete cylinders. To add a flourish of old castle, to the thing.

But yeah, could have chopped ths space up a little and made more rooms, and cupboard space (heh)

small_damming%20like%20a%20boss.jpg

The earth works would have cost more than that house was worth.

In that first one, i like the plantings in the garden, and how they cut medieval styled windows into those giant concrete cylinders. To add a flourish of old castle, to the thing.

But yeah, could have chopped ths space up a little and made more rooms, and cupboard space (heh)

small_damming%20like%20a%20boss.jpg

The earth works would have cost more than that house was worth.

O rly?

stone_shovel.png

Guest -Ad-

I'm gunning for a nice Georgian townhouse in London. Something like this one:

MadgeFlatES_468x485.jpg

I should be getting a 2-bed flat in one of these later this year.

Guest theSun

mKUKb.jpg

gLsK4.jpg

X42fb.jpg

aMHmK.jpg

MC8tG.jpg

MBwQc.jpg

GrU2M.jpg

pe7Q1.jpg

GN4td.jpg

MOG6v.jpg

also that place chassis posted.

holy fucking shit. i need this house

• 3 weeks later...

Not built yet, but set to go up.

underground-house.png

underground-house-1.png

underground-house-4.png

---

The design was commissioned by English footballer, Gary Neville, who has been "heavily involved in the design process from the outset and is passionate about preserving the natural beauty of this area."

The single-level, four bedroom property is embedded into a hillside and ringed by a series of teardrop shaped outdoor areas which give the building its floral flavor when viewed from above. This approach enables the dwelling to blend into the surrounding meadows, minimizing the impact on the natural landscape and surrounding views. linkEE

Many hold with in us the idea of what it would look like if the modern age were riven by some calamity. Not to say that we harbour post apocalyptic fantasies as a positive ideal. Just that the vision of the modern world aged under the commanding hand of nature, holds our gaze with it's wild and uncertain beauty.

We have seen architecture of prior ages fall to similar fates. But it is still starkly confronting when it's an industrial landscape, rather than some vine entangled Roman villa, or Mayan city sunken beneath the deepening forest.

Archived