IGNORED

What city do you live in ?

Lucas

Sheffield UK. It's alright, the music scene is pretty decent, and with two large uni's it's a pretty vibrant place to life... although it's pretty rough around the edges and the city centre is terrible. Been here 4 years (born in London and brought up in Essex) and feeling pretty settled down now.

No-win-no-fee-solicitors-sheffield.jpg

parkhill1.jpg

1199767_300.jpg

winnats11.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

London: exciting, expensive, frustrating, exhilarating.

I seem to have this love/hate perception of London. I've never lived there but been in and around London many, many times. Sometimes good experiences, sometimes not so great. I don't know whether I could put up with living there in all honesty but I know it has a lot to offer in terms of entertainment/meeting interesting people/events etc. - people I talk to who work and who have lived in London always talk of how great the experience was.

Whereabouts are you in London BCM? Are there any particular areas where rent is reasonably priced/fairly cheap? How long have you been living in London and what work do you do over there? Apologies for the bombardment of questions but I'd like to know more as I'm considering moving closer to the capital within the next few years possibly. If there are any other London watmmers then please contribute your experiences!

i've lived in london for about 5 years, always lived in the southwest - tooting, balham and now wimbledon. i like the southwest as it's pretty "safe" and green, with some cool areas like clapham old town, balham and wimbledon village. rents are silly really, but doable - i pay £825 per month for a pretty nice 1 ned flat in a more boring (but nice) area of wimbledon, about 10 mins walk from the centre. i share with my gf so much easier to afford everything but still end up skint at the end of the month lol. i work for a firm of property consultants in the west end as an account/client manager type thing - do ok salary-wise but nothing major. if you want cheap in london you could look into places like peckham, tottenham or hackney but they're all highly dodgy. i prefer to pay a bit more and not have to worry too much about crime and shit.

i've lived in london for about 5 years, always lived in the southwest - tooting, balham and now wimbledon. i like the southwest as it's pretty "safe" and green, with some cool areas like clapham old town, balham and wimbledon village. rents are silly really, but doable - i pay £825 per month for a pretty nice 1 ned flat in a more boring (but nice) area of wimbledon, about 10 mins walk from the centre. i share with my gf so much easier to afford everything but still end up skint at the end of the month lol. i work for a firm of property consultants in the west end as an account/client manager type thing - do ok salary-wise but nothing major. if you want cheap in london you could look into places like peckham, tottenham or hackney but they're all highly dodgy. i prefer to pay a bit more and not have to worry too much about crime and shit.

thanks for the info

Yes I'd agree that if it means paying higher rent for a much "safer" area then so be it

Vancouver - just dull really. Nice enough, a bit expensive, crazy uptight about drinking, cool with weed, some decent cultural events but really just a bit dull.

Can't wait to get back to Seoul. Hounos - there are a couple of decent sandwich joints in 이태원 and 해방촌. Good Thai food in 홍대 as well as some ok cafes. There's a place in front of 이화 called 비미남경 which does some decent coffee (or at least they used to). I will agree though, western food is hit and miss for sure. Fuck it though - eat Korean food :)

The cultural scene is a little hard to get into for music - there's some good indie bands - the club scene was awesome when it broke out there in 1996/1997 but got quickly commercialized. i think we've talked about this before but check out Purple Record in 홍대. Probably the best record store in Seoul - still woeful compared to going to even like Fukuoka or Osaka, never mind Tokyo.

Guest rumbo

Nottingham's pretty shit but I've lived here for all of my memorable life so I don't think I'd move without good reason.

I think that's a good reason.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Nottingham's pretty shit but I've lived here for all of my memorable life so I don't think I'd move without good reason.

I think that's a good reason.

I suppose so. What I really mean tho is that I've built up a lot here - friends etc. A lot of good people I wouldn't want to leave behind.

thanks for the info

Yes I'd agree that if it means paying higher rent for a much "safer" area then so be it

Balham is nice, wimbledon is fucking tedium incarnate, as are all those district line stops.

wimbledon is quite quiet though in terms of night life yeah...good shopping and stuff though. wimbledon village is very nice for a posh drink too.

Not sure how accurate this is, but Hackney seemed a bit like London's Brooklyn. Shady areas, gentrified areas, hipsters, etc. It wasn't so bad the area I stayed in, but I could imagine it being a bit grimey.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

i've lived in ...

the country - gotta drive everywhere/anywhere, except riding bikes over to friends houses was possible. grew up entirely living in the country, 85 people in my high school class and that covered 2 towns. leaving high school i was ready to get out and did, and have continually moved into more and more metropolitan environments. but my parents still live in the country (OH, outside of youngstown) and they have their own sort of private farm; i cherish the time i'm able to spend back there and it Really has a lot of advantages. life is a lot simpler in the country.

i loved pittsburgh (see below) and now live in chicago, also ann arbor for a spell around the turn of the millenium. chicago is really nice, though the terrain is quite boring and i'm disappointed that the only unbroken area of parks exist on the lake, and obvs rents are Lots higher to live anywhere near the lake. lots and lots of different people; half of the town seems to be latino, but i speak spanish so i'm cool with it :cool: certainly a great, if small still, music scene for those fans of electronic music, got experimental, techno, idm-ish and everything in between. really though, there's a lot that's heartbreaking about chicago.. it almost seems like two completely different cities. you're either well off/rich/white and live on the north side, or you're.... anything else and you live on the south or west sides, some of whose neighborhoods seem to resemble warzones more than communities. so much crime and violence only a few miles away, and it's very easy to insulate yourself (as a north-sider, which i am) from it all.

chicago has great diversity, i will give it that, and most people are really nice. i wish daly hadn't privatized half of the fucking city on his way out :rtfm: it's so goddam expensive to live in the city proper but living out in the suburbs would seem soul-defeating in a lot of ways. we'll see where we end up! my gf is a local and loves the north side, city areas too so at least we can agree on that much

I live in Brooklyn… I'm paying $1k/mo for a step-down studio apartment in the neighborhood. Yikes.

i currently live in chicago, and i rent an 1100 sq ft 2br w/parking and all amenities for that price. granted i got a good deal (probably about the best), but that's why i can never give nyc or the area too much benefit. unless you have a lot of money it seems like you just work to live. ahhh well i guess there are trade-offs anywhere.

Jacksonville, Florida … (yes only listing the cons) … the city is full of religious zealots and rednecks, it's hot as fuck for 6-8 months out of the year, most of the city is one giant strip mall. most of the culture, mom and pop places, and arts scene are isolated to one part of town (which thankfully I am moving to in a couple of weeks)

a friend of mine who lives in the navy lives in jacksonville, and from his stories and the stories i've heard from others who have traveled through jacksonville it sounds like hell on earth. a decent metropolis full of rednecks and without even the slightest shade of proper culture. i'm not really down with florida as a whole and not trying to rip into you pattern, just noting. nascar is pretty big there eh?

pittsburgh has been by far my favorite place i've lived. city is just the right size, with plenty to do and all that. nice scenery and decent seasons (all four of them, which i like). i'd love to move back some day.

<3 i'm so glad we were able to meet up for stars of the lid! pittsburgh is indeed Quite a nice city; an almost perfect mix of small town vibes and getting to meet and know lots of the same people (it's impossible to hide, you'll know everyone soon enough) but big enough that there is a lot going on culturally, lots of nice museums, Great food, great views and it's becoming more and more bike friendly. i miss it too :sad: if i hadn't been traveling so much for work i might have appreciated living there more.

the worst thing about racine is that i used to live in madison ... why did i leave

madison is really nice! very chill, absolutely love being right on both of the lakes, the terrace is key, lots of great foods and the city's support for biking/infrastructure is probably only 2nd to davis, ca from what i've read. real real nice, though i bet the winters are brutal..

Not sure how accurate this is, but Hackney seemed a bit like London's Brooklyn. Shady areas, gentrified areas, hipsters, etc. It wasn't so bad the area I stayed in, but I could imagine it being a bit grimey.

I think you have the place pegged perfectly. Notting Hill used to be grimy too, they still whip out a carnival once a year but it's a rich person's hangout now. Always thought there was something incredibly annoying about the way starving artists are almost used as coalmine canaries by property opportunists to scout the place out and make it trendy before the "young professionals" move in. Just a crap fact of city life I suppose.

Guest Sprigg

I've wanted to move to New York for quite some time now.

Do it. I believe everyone on earth should try living in NYC for a minimum of 2 years. I was there for 12 (the entire span of my 20s and change).

How much is like a one bedroom apartment out there?

I've wanted to move to New York for quite some time now.

Do it. I believe everyone on earth should try living in NYC for a minimum of 2 years. I was there for 12 (the entire span of my 20s and change).

How much is like a one bedroom apartment out there?

Depends on where you wanna live. In Manhatten, you would pay $2500 at least. I'm not too sure about Brooklyn, but Brooklyn is up and coming and getting pretty expensive (although it is mad nice). Queens, you would pay at least $1500 probably. I got a friend who lives out in Flushing, which is pretty far out there, and pays only $1050 a month. Basically the farther from Manhatten you are, the cheaper you will find places to live unless you get really lucky.

Guest Sprigg

Holy shit. That's double what the rent is out here (I know I know we have cheap-ass cost of living, but wages are also comparatively low). What are wages like?

deep fried, i know we've gone over this but its funny because i am also from the country around youngstown ohio and i had about 90 kids in my graduating class (my school encompassed 4 townships, 100 square miles total). i simply cannot imagine how insulated that whole area is; if i would've lived my entire life there, i would have hardly any sense of any other culture at all. while talking to my parents, i mention some interesting ethnic foods, that are fairly common in any city, that i have learned to make on my own and my parents are like, "oh yeah, whats that? that sounds interesting!" :facepalm:

also, deep fried for wattmer who has met the most other wattmers!

forgot to add that i lived in pune, india for 3 months. if you can live with the mosquitos, bugs, and lizards and not really expect 4-star accommodations (it is a third world country after all), then you can have a great time. i loved the food and the people were generally really nice. oh, and did i mention that i got home-cooked lunch and dinner delivered to me in a tiffin every day. the monthly cost was about $19 USD. :spiteful:

Olympia, WA.

it's a bit boring sometimes, and i get a little tired of the culture, but my current place is right on the edge of a temperate rainforest, so I can't really complain.

in a few weeks, my city will be Bloomington, IN for a couple months. looking forward to living there again. basically the same as olympia, but with frat boys, different climate, and a bit better ethnic food.

so do I(in oly currently). Maybe I know you?

ha ha, wow. You probably don't know me as I'm currently a bit of a shut-in except for going to SPSCC for my classes, but I'm impressed there's someone else from Oly here.

ha ha, wow. You probably don't know me as I'm currently a bit of a shut-in except for going to SPSCC for my classes, but I'm impressed there's someone else from Oly here.

did you go to high school here?

did you go to high school here?

yeah. avanti 2006-2009, capital 2009-2010

Archived