IGNORED

Help me choose a Summer Solstice album

Dragon

So the Summer Solstice is in two days. There's something I love to do around this time of year: Getting up real early, going outside and watching the sunrise whilst listening to an album all the way through. To be honest, I haven't actually done this since 2008 when I listened to Incunabula (I was just getting into Autechre).

However, there's a catch. I just can't decide which album to listen to this year. So I thought I'd look to you guys for suggestions. I need something good, something that will go well with the morning air on the longest day of the year.

I would prefer to listen to an album I'm already familiar with. I have pretty much every album by most of the major Warp artists, plus a lot of other stuff. If you're not sure if I've heard something, don't worry, just go ahead. It won't hurt.

If anyone else is doing this on the Solstice, feel free to discuss!

Ra Hoor Khuit

An appellation of Ra, identifying him with Horus, this name shows the two as manifestations of the singular Solar Force. Ra-Hoor-Khuit or Ra-Hoor-Khut is the speaker in the Third Chapter of The Book of the Law.

This might be an obvious suggestion, but sounds like the perfect occasion for SAW 1.

See, I recently got the original SAW 1 on vinyl, and that's the only way I like to listen to it now. I can't take my turntable outside to see the sunrise :sad:

So I guess it's a choice between these two:

akhenaten

yek has it, it should be Geogaddi.

I haven't heard Akhenaten much, I think I listened to it all the way through just once. Geogaddi I'm more familiar with, and of course, it has You Could Feel The Sky. Decisions, decisions...

I'm done. In the end I chose Akhtanen, because it's about time I listened to it all the way through. Also, it's two hours long, which fully covers the time from complete darkness to full sunlight.

It was certainly a good experience. The slow building of the surrounding light fit well with the music. Sadly, there was a lot of cloud in the sky, and I've seen better sunrises. But hey, how cool is it to see bright outdoor light at four in the morning!

Archived