IGNORED

sound of the transformers

huzur

That was a pretty interesting video. Similarly to how they get their sounds, the individual pieces of the Transformers are composed of everyday objects. Like, when visually designing the robots, they throw in ladders and ovens and car axles and shit like that to give it detail. I saw some guy talk about the animation of the Transformers movies a year or so ago.

although i honestly am happy that you remembered me and my sub-par performance in the ISAM thread, (thank you all) i feel the natural need to express my apologies to all wit critics present on this board. by not deciding to respond to your totally called sarcasm in a hostile manner, i sincerely and fully accept any further mockeries regarding my actions, as i hope i will prove myself not only as a quality member, but as a friendly, stimulating colleague of yours, in our little, beautiful corner of internet.

Always felt the transformers movies had amazing sound design. But someone explain that dry ice bit.

I was pretty floored by that. My best guess is that the extreme temperature differential created by the dry ice on metal causes a contraction. Since the structure has a built in resonance chamber, you get get a good amplification of the sound. A little bit like slowly tightening a metal guitar string. I'm really captivated by that 7.1 sound. I have yet to see a 3D movie in the theater so this might be a good one to do. I read an article recently that movies can get between 90-99 dB now. That's close to a live concert.

Yeah, parts of it contract, while other parts at the other end stay the same, causing it to vibrate. You can also tell it's barely holding together, so metal pieces rub together. Close-mic --> compress. Wakkawakkawakkawakka.

I had never seen any of the films, but the first one was on itunes for 99c, so I watched it... you know the movie itself was whatever, but the visuals and sounds were sick a fuck. I do kind of want to see this one in the theatre, because it'll probably blow the other ones away with the sound design.

• 2 weeks later...

is it just me or is it really a shame/kind of sad that some of the world's most talented sound designers work for Michael Bay?

my guess is that this was only for certain sounds in the movie, i'd be willing to bet a good number of the rest of the sound work is just typical hollywood stacked expensive sample library clips.

Guest hahathhat

i think those movies just need loads of people. my uncle is a CG animator that sometimes works on films and TV commercials. he was talking about some big-budget scifi movie (can't remember which) and was like, "yeah, i did a leg and a tail!" apparently they had dozens, if not hundreds of CG people working on it, and it was farmed out into small little individual tasks. i bet they hire loads of animators period, not just the best ones!

similarly for sound design, i have a feeling there are many more people involved than the dozen or so you see in the video.

re:pattern. too true, a good friend of mine makes big money on doing mainstream adverts and hollywood fx work. His own creations free of corporate money are awesome, mind blowing visuals. I personally think he could be 'the next' michel gondry, the corporate dollars are understandably hard to resist. I wonder how much money he made working on Smurfs the movie....

similarly for sound design, i have a feeling there are many more people involved than the dozen or so you see in the video.

it's actually kind of the opposite, sound design team work on movies has remained very much the same as it always has been, at least since the 70s.

seems like you even would need less total people now do post production sound work on a movie.

Yeah, a lot of the time nowadays it's one guy that does the sound design, and he just wheels in his pro tools rig onto the sound stage when the main guys are mixing the film.

Also, these guys are usually freelance and not part of an in-house studio [except for something like Skywalker Sound].

Archived