IGNORED

JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think of the burning piano as being part of a modern classical piece by the great Annea Lockwood, moreso than jazz, or at least it's my main association.

Here's an article from 3 years ago about her in the New York Times called Burning Pianos and Whispering Rivers: A Composer’s Journey https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/arts/music/annea-lockwood-miller-theater.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Zoh Amba & Chris Corsano live and it was incredible. Highly recommend to any fans of saxophone led free spiritual jazz along the lines of Albert Ayler, Charles Gayle, later era John Coltrane. I had never heard of her before she came to play at a local festival but I cannot speak too highly of her prodigious talent already at the age of 22, both studio recordings and live.

This 5 minute clip oughta give you some sense of what to expect (not including when she is on the piano or guitar):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2011 at 4:10 PM, halisray said:

I just got John Coltrane's A Love Supreme as well as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

Can anyone here make other suggestions of great jazz albums? Never knew I would like jazz but in fact I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm a big fan of Herbie Hancock's jazz piano albums. Try Daydreams, Inventions, Takin off, The Prisoner, My point of view....all great albums. I got into his stuff years ago after I initially started breakdancing to "Rockit", Kraftwerk etc.....and grown to love his jazz more and more as I've gotten older. 

• Like 1