IGNORED

10,000 year clock

Soloman Tump

http://www.10000yearclock.net/learnmore.html

An intriguing project, and I definitely like the idea of long term thinking as to what we leave on this planet for future generations.

Apparently Brian Eno is involved in designing the generative chiming mechanism thingy. A different chime every day for 10,000 years is pretty mad.

If it's the only thing that survives of our culture, then our ancestors or whatever comes after us will think we must have been obsessed with time, which is kinda true. Like we think the ancient Egyptians were obsessed with death, just because most of what we've found from them relates to death and the afterlife.

Oh yes, this has to be the most awesome things ever.

We need more geological time scale monuments. It reminds me of that place in Finland where they are building a facility to store radioactive waste for the next 100,000 years. Scientist are having these fascinating discussions about how to create a sort of scary visual warning building beyond language thing in order to convince aliens / robots / future humans not to ever, ever open the nuclear tomb. Can you imagine this, they should probably include a music generator but what kind of music would you put in so that not even a God would dare to break through?

forbid02.jpg

Hate to say but if found something like that I would love and end up obsessing into finding out what else is there to see, what is behind ...

Link

If it's the only thing that survives of our culture, then our ancestors or whatever comes after us will think we must have been obsessed with time, which is kinda true. Like we think the ancient Egyptians were obsessed with death, just because most of what we've found from them relates to death and the afterlife.

more likely they would assume we were predicting the end of the world, ala Mayan calendar 2012...

We need more geological time scale monuments. It reminds me of that place in Finland where they are building a facility to store radioactive waste for the next 100,000 years. Scientist are having these fascinating discussions about how to create a sort of scary visual warning building beyond language thing in order to convince aliens / robots / future humans not to ever, ever open the nuclear tomb. Can you imagine this, they should probably include a music generator but what kind of music would you put in so that not even a God would dare to break through?

forbid02.jpg

Hate to say but if found something like that I would love and end up obsessing into finding out what else is there to see, what is behind ...

Link

That is one of the most fascinating things I have ever read. You have made my day, good sir. I've never heard of such an interesting concept, at least not for a while.

forbid02.jpg

Link

That is one of the most fascinating things I have ever read. You have made my day, good sir. I've never heard of such an interesting concept, at least not for a while.

^ Yeah that is pretty cool.

I suppose the main "silly" thing that instantly strikes me about the 10,000 year clock is where it is based. I mean, if you have to hike there across mountains, and its hundreds of miles away from civilisation, then what are the chances that anyone in the future will find it? If there is a world changing event at some point, surely future races/generations will be looking around the ruins of our cities rather than deep in the mountains? Unless it is acting as some sort of beacon that is broadcasting....

Two quick notes:

the WIPP thing is actually in the states, not Finland.

Azatoth has it spot on. They placed it out of the way partly for fear of vandalism, and partly because the location is geographically relatively safe.

Archived