IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

just spent my afternoon prepping for a tutoring session (im the tutor) a student asked to set up at a new time, so i was cleaning the apt, taking notes and organizing things on my blackboard, re-reading her textbook to make sure i got it all, preparing what i was gonna say...

and she cancelled the meeting by calling five minutes before i was expecting her. :dry:

as an added fwp, the hours this woman is asking me to meet for are kinda getting out of hand, and she has it in her head that i'm available to do on-call homework problems (i typically deny or ignore those - for instance the frantic homework Q's that i received in my inbox at 8:30pm on halloween)... it's quickly becoming clear that i'm gonna be paid $4/hr if i don't renegotiate the quarterly payments we worked out. :dry::dry:

edit: and i coulda been reading the AAA thread all afternoon ffs!

Edited by luke viia

Guest Frankie5fingers

just spent my afternoon prepping for a tutoring session (im the tutor) a student asked to set up at a new time, so i was cleaning the apt, taking notes and organizing things on my blackboard, re-reading her textbook to make sure i got it all, preparing what i was gonna say...

and she cancelled the meeting by calling five minutes before i was expecting her. :dry:

as an added fwp, the hours this woman is asking me to meet for are kinda getting out of hand, and she has it in her head that i'm available to do on-call homework problems (i typically deny or ignore those - for instance the frantic homework Q's that i received in my inbox at 8:30pm on halloween)... it's quickly becoming clear that i'm gonna be paid $4/hr if i don't renegotiate the quarterly payments we worked out. :dry::dry:

i hear ya, i used to be a math tutor awhile back but the hours were fucked, the people sucked and the pay was penuts. stopped doing it cause it didnt justify the time i was loosing from doing my own homework.

my fwp: Just found out that Gabriel Iglesias is finally playing a show near me and ive always wanted to see him live. was gonna go with my dad since the two of us love him but tickets start at $83 :sad:

maybe next time.

hey luke, first off, congrats on tutoring...it can have its rewards.

Might I suggest some advice? and feel free to reject it. But if I were in your position, I'd lay down some ground rules from here on out and make it very clear they are non-negotiable. I understand they are paying you, but they aren't paying you enough money to respond 24/7 and be "on call".

The phones in the office all went down. I submitted a support ticket, haven't heard from the guy it got assigned to, and my phone keeps cycling between 75 seconds of attempting to connect and two minutes of notifying me that the connection failed because it can't connect with the gateway. This has been going on nearly four hours.

hey luke, first off, congrats on tutoring...it can have its rewards.

Might I suggest some advice? and feel free to reject it. But if I were in your position, I'd lay down some ground rules from here on out and make it very clear they are non-negotiable. I understand they are paying you, but they aren't paying you enough money to respond 24/7 and be "on call".

thanks for the advice, and yeah, this was what i was planning to do. what did i actually do? nothing. lol. the battle i'm fighting in my mind is that i want her to do well in this class, and to appreciate and enjoy the material (it's a pretty cool course tbh, and the math is simple) -- but i also don't want to be taken advantage of. i like tutoring and have done it for a "math learning center" but whenever i do one-on-one stuff with students they almost immediately make it clear that they would prefer i just do all their homework for them. i always firmly stamp my foot in the ground at this request and make it equally clear that 1) i'm not willing to do that and 2) the student, my client, will very likely fail the course with that attitude. what i'm less good at refining are ground rules. i really want the students to succeed and i'll put in extra time if they will too, but i get frustrated when i'm asked to solve problems on-call and the student comes back the next week and tells me they haven't done all the homework. that almost hurts my feelings, because why am i spending this time explaining concepts to someone who isn't even trying? ah well. i feel similarly to frankie and probably won't continue doing this for too long.

new fwp: i found a pack of camel lights in my backpack (???) with 17 smokes left. i quit smoking about 5 years ago, but this immediately made me want one really bad, and in fact, i walked outside and smoked two and drank a beer. now i feel like shit and like i failed somehow.

Edited by luke viia

Dude, it happens to the best of us. As long as you don't pick up the habit again, there's problem with one slip-up. :flower:

Fwp: I'm tired but it still feels early.

Edited by Sprigg

new fwp: i found a pack of camel lights in my backpack (???) with 17 smokes left. i quit smoking about 5 years ago, but this immediately made me want one really bad, and in fact, i walked outside and smoked two and drank a beer. now i feel like shit and like i failed somehow.

yeah, this:

As long as you don't pick up the habit again, there's problem with one slip-up. :flower:

also "the beauty of quitting is that, now that I've quit, y'know, I can have one. because I've quit." lel (do not take this as advice)

Facebook. I've never been a guy of social interest, but neither I'm antisocial. But what makes me mad is how Facebook controls people mind to make them "think" they need to post any shit there, in Facebook, because all your "friends" would like to read it. I don't quite get it. It makes the introvert one into an extrovert, and an extrovert into an introvert... Really fucked up shit. Also, like I already said somewhere, man, those ·"likes", those motherfucking "likes"... Why? Why do people have the "necessity" to "like" a post, or a photo, or whatever shit? Why (despite not being really that time consuming) do they prefer to simply fucking "like" a post, instead of commenting it? Something actually more "social"? I'm not talking about liking pages or artists, I'm talking of posts, photos, notes, whatever shit that isn't a page. The machine's controlling humans now. It's like if Facebook deciding how we should interact.

Edited by logakght

I wish there was some kind of cap or pasty to put over cat buttholes because I love my cat and all but holy fuck get that thing out of my face, little buddy.

Facebook. I've never been a guy of social interest, but neither I'm antisocial. But what makes me mad is how Facebook controls people mind to make them "think" they need to post any shit there, in Facebook, because all your "friends" would like to read it. I don't quite get it. It makes the introvert one into an extrovert, and an extrovert into an introvert... Really fucked up shit. Also, like I already said somewhere, man, those ·"likes", those motherfucking "likes"... Why? Why do people have the "necessity" to "like" a post, or a photo, or whatever shit? Why (despite not being really that time consuming) do they prefer to simply fucking "like" a post, instead of commenting it? Something actually more "social"? I'm not talking about liking pages or artists, I'm talking of posts, photos, notes, whatever shit that isn't a page. The machine's controlling humans now. It's like if Facebook deciding how we should interact.

the-worlds-end-2013-movie-image.jpg

facebook-like-thumbs-up-icon-300x225.jpg

More of an internal than external FWP, but I feel that I ought to get schooled on the basics of electronic music. It would be nice if there were an Electronic Music 101 uni course online or something to that effect, but I understand there's a couple of books out there too.

I just feel that at some point I need to move beyond my decade-long FL phase and acquire some new gear, so I can be more active in YLC and EKT discussions rather than assclownin' in GenBan 90 percent of the time.
I have a basic grasp on res and cutoff knobs and oscillator waveforms on synths, but I ought to learn more about terms like dither and how FM actually works.

Edited by ambermonk

Sean/Rob not replying in the AAA thread to me will make my life useless after all. It's hard to deal with it. :cry:

I wouldn't take it personally. They are getting quite a lot of questions thrown at them, so it may not even be possible to answer all of them.

So far I only asked one (to which Mr. Booth responded), but I'm afraid to ask any more out of fear of sounding foolish. Another FWP in itself innit

Yeah ambermonk, my life now makes sense :wink: But Sean is wrong btw, because Weissensee must be played at 45 :wink:

Also got 1000s of more questions, but hey. The others ask interesting questions as well.

I need to to start a life without this much internet... But how? :(

Hiking and a dog. BTDT.

I'm starting to get fat, and sitting on my arse the past few days (week off work innit), eating cheese, drinking wine and smoking is not helping.

Ermagherd so much cheese

And wine

And cigarettes

And sitting.

I'm on mushrooms and no-one knows.

that's a good problem to have :cool:

new fwp: in an effort to finally appease my gf's requests that i grow a fucking beard, i'm going ahead with no shave november. the issue is that it's week one and i look like a total brony.

and thanks for the kind words re: the cigarettes, dudes

I'm on mushrooms and no-one knows.

that's a good problem to have :cool:

new fwp: in an effort to finally appease my gf's requests that i grow a fucking beard, i'm going ahead with no shave november. the issue is that it's week one and i look like a total brony.

and thanks for the kind words re: the cigarettes, dudes

fwp. I only have 2lbs of mushrooms left.

Movember eh?