IGNORED

Meshuggah - new album

Guest ansgaria

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't know how I feel about it. I don't think they benefit from a more "organic" approach, if anything. Their music sounds better with extensive production, especially the drums.

I can't comment much on the production since I'm listening on my laptop, but I really like the track itself. Those ethereal guitars that come in at the middle and end combined with that groovy-as-fuck riff hit just the right spot for me. I always like it when they add a bit of melodic counterpoint into their 100 tons of heaviness. It sounded like the layering of Jens' voice was a little more subtle this time around, giving it a slightly more raw vibe. That super processed cold sound works great for them, but it's cool to hear they're going somewhere a bit more organic this time around. Yep, i approve. Meshuggah is still awesome.

*just saw the post above mine. I agree with the Nothing comparison.

I can't comment much on the production since I'm listening on my laptop, but I really like the track itself. Those ethereal guitars that come in at the middle and end combined with that groovy-as-fuck riff hit just the right spot for me. I always like it when they add a bit of melodic counterpoint into their 100 tons of heaviness. It sounded like the layering of Jens' voice was a little more subtle this time around, giving it a slightly more raw vibe. That super processed cold sound works great for them, but it's cool to hear they're going somewhere a bit more organic this time around. Yep, i approve. Meshuggah is still awesome.

well put

Only Meshuggah album i have is catch 33, i don't get it at all, i can listen to it but it's just cold beats, riffs and a those hardcore vocals, i realy tried to get in it

those live video's realy seem dope though

Catch 33 is definitely not the best place to start with Meshuggah. I recommend checking out Obzen, as it displays much more diversity, and Tomas Haake actually plays the drums (Catch 33 is all programmed drums and more of an experiment all around). If you haven't heard him play you're missing out on one of the most essential parts!

well put

Cheers! :beer:

Also I just watched the documentary that your avatar's from. Maynard's pretty much The Man.

awesome, that is a great doc. it's very well done. the best part about it is my wife and I did our honeymoon around that whole area so when that came out and we watched it we were very excited to see a lot of those places again.

I think the riffs are awesome as usual; I kind of just wish the verses had more than just the guitar and bass playing the same thing -- strangely, it makes things sound empty, or like something is missing. Like it could just be one guy singing and playing guitar with an octave pedal, and another guy on drums.

Once the bridges or solos come in, it's a bit more filled out, but even then -- and maybe it's just the quality of these files -- the mix sounds like it's missing a lot of high end, which makes it sound kind of like I'm listening to a cassette or something. Like, it could have more energy if so many frequencies weren't missing. Dunno if that makes any sense, but.

Also, the last interlude in the track psn posted is SO Rush! (in a good way)

Well I thought the latest track sampling kicked ass. I can definitely get that a lot of people are just bored of what appears to be "more of the same", as there are no new giant musical leaps being made or anything. But fuck, I still haven't heard anyone else do it like that. I enjoyed the comment during the guitar solo "Kurt Hammet solo in the wrong key," which is pretty apt except Kurt Hammet soloing in the wrong key is still pretty much just Kurt Hammet being Kurt Hammet. Again, i think it's cool that the vocals are stripped down this time, and overall the whole thing sounds a lot less processed. When it comes to Meshuggah that's enough of a significant change to keep things kind of interesting for me. That and they did go back to doing some thrashy shit on Obzen, albeit the updated grindier groovier version of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived