IGNORED

what kind of music is this?

soundwave

FootBrain

Footwork has been around for awhile, in progressing forms anyway... but it seems to be catching on a bit more now.

Whats probably gonna happen (it already has really) is a branching of the music between the actual dancers and community, and the footwork influenced commercial producers.

I wouldn't really consider a lot of the machinedrum stuff footwork and I imagine now that rashad and spinn are gonna put stuff out themselves (not through planet mu at least) your gonna get a lot of stuff that Mu wouldnt have released, meaning that Planet Mu followers will go one way and Rashad, Spinn, Traxman etc may go another. Although I could be wrong....

There are similarities to acid at times, for example a lot of producers were too scared to produce, or unable to get a release, if they followed the raw stripped down style that was coming from a lot of the black producers who were making the rougher simpler tracks, I imagine that dilemma's happening right now with footwork in some cunts bedroom studio...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's a diffrence, but it's in the listeners, not the music. the people who freaked out to jungle in their teens are now in their 30s, with years of experience making their own tracks. Of course they are going to respond diffrently to a new genre now than what they would have then. If they let their response to something that is just as genuinely new and interesting as jungle and grime be coloured negatively, then thats just a bit sad.

tl:dr = if jungle came out today, wattum would have a 50 page WHAT IS THIS SHIT ITS JUST KIDS SPEEDING UP SOUL SAMPLES I COULD DO THIS IN 5 MINUTES IN FRUITYLOOPS LOL I JUST MADE AN AUTOMATIC JUNGLE GENERATOR LOL LOL LOL thread

im sorry but that is total horseshit

listen to that traxman video you posted and then listen to some marvellous cain.

your "if jungle came out in 2012" argument is bollocks. if these juke tracks came out in 1993 they would still be fucking rubbish.

truth as far as i am concerned. i like many of todays music styles, but for me footwork is just some crap to dance to, no other use for the music.

boogie, funk, electro, hip hop, house, jungle, dnb, dubstep i love(d) to dance to, but i was able to also relax and chill out to the music at home if i wanted to (and i still do). but then again, i am not born in the nineties, nor in the eighties.

If you added in some 303s & snarerushes it would be Intelligent Foot Music

If you view music in terms of whether its 'basic' or 'complex' then you're not really getting much out of any music, I feel really sorry for you.

Yes Warp Film, are doing something with the BBC as I said before, but I don't see why a documentary is so necessary to you guys? Did you need one for jungle? Was it so important for grime?

I'm just curious about it, I had no idea one was in work and it's cool to know. I'm interested in seeing a well-made documentary on footwork and that's it. I don't feel there's a necessity for it, as if the music was lacking. I've enjoyed the Planet Mu comps and I like the idea of key examples being "canonized" in such releases.

actually, i grew up in the 80's and 90's. :)

but i meant, to grow up, like.. in the 90's and 2000's... so much shit 'pop' music around... but you know this, anyway.

and yeah it's true i agree, it's not about basic or complex. complex doesn't always do it. but... , like not even 3 instruments.. 808 samples, a bass synth and some looped vocal samples... it just leaves a lot to be desired

you've got a lot to learn, rixxx. god bless u, tho :)

You can make do a lot with just those 3 things - same instruments used to make the heavy, subbass-driven releases by Loefah and Kode9 (certain Loefah especially relied on bass hits instead of the "wobble" basslines. Electro, house, minimal techno, and especially hip-hop have been made with minimal setups - sometimes less amounts to more novel developments. The dance context of footwork is important, but I find it fascinating beyond that musically. It can be hard to listen to, I dunno, individual DJ Nate or DJ Rashad tracks for an hour or too, but their productions in mixes are fun as hell. And honestly, some of the most over-thought, overproduced music, whether it be electronic or rock or whatever, often flops miserably. I'm not saying footwork is emotional, but I've also heard some moving tracks made with very sparse and basic production.

Also, the 80s and 90s had some shit music and shit music was around last decade too. And guess what, plenty of it was around before that. People forget about the endless covers within rock and r&b of the same hits back in the 50s and 60s. We didn't have to sit through the saccharine adult contemporary hits of the 70s. Look at youtube comments and often you see lameass "music used to be great' which translates to "I remember only music I liked back then and don't even care to check out anything new, so applaud my self-centered ignorance" Footwork/Juke has been a positive development imo. Reminds me of what IDM and DNB so novel back in the day, this is just coming from a different place. Same with dubstep earlier in the 00s. Felt like a nice break from the 4/4 stuff that seemed so dominant, whether it be Kompakt or Ed Banger. I dunno, for all the cynicism about Skrillex and brostep, I hear footwork and thing "this is fun and weird" and I know it will result in cool developments in electronic music elsewhere. I'm happy to get to experience and listen to it.

in other words, what analogue wings said :sleep:

So Warp are into footwork too then? They've not released anything of that ilk really have they? Do Afrika Hitech count as footwork?

I got dubstep when it first started being played because it was noticably different and was completely refreshing.

I still dont get juke / footwork though.

Guest Enter a new display name

Nobody does. Only rixxx has been supporting that music in fact.

Count me as well. Not as fervently here but I do sincerely enjoy it.

Guest Enter a new display name

Count me as well. Not as fervently here but I do sincerely enjoy it.

Reported for trolling.

I'm not butthurt or anything, but I don't get why Fruity Loops always comes in to the picture.

Try to make a decent track in it I dare you.

You will end up sounding like dj subwoof.

Fuck all y'all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ2PbwG4Tzo

p.s

not butthurt

fruity loops for life.

I'm not butthurt or anything, but I don't get why Fruity Loops always comes in to the picture.

Try to make a decent track in it I dare you.

You will end up sounding like dj subwoof.

Fuck all y'all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ2PbwG4Tzo

p.s

not butthurt

fruity loops for life.

^...and I just met my laugh-so-hard-at-work-people-glace-over quota for the week

Archived