IGNORED

Being socially awkward and uncomfortable

jeremymacgregor87

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speaking of eating well, does anyone know a good guide online that would give me healthy recipe ideas that are not full of expensive and exotic ingredients, and also easy enough for a below average cook to do.

every time i try and get my diet sorted out i get flummoxed by lack of ideas in the kitchen and end up reverting to the unhealthy that i like and is piss easy.

Guest Eggylips

there's no guide online apart from this but i reccomend eating a gammon steak or two a day, At weekends eat a whole gammon joint with spuds. Think it works so try it, even if you're a brachiosaurus

Guest fiznuthian

Here's a site with a bunch of recipes that are pretty similar to what I eat.

http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex

Mostly meats cooked in butter or coconut oil, I have fun with them.. spice em whatever.

Probably make a pot roast atleast once a week.. doesn't get any easier than this.

Then I steam, saute, or roast vegetables every day for myself. Potatoes and grass-fed butter are a staple..

Anything else I eat is just lots of delicious fruits.. no preparation necessary ofcourse.

Omelets are a fun way to satisfy appetite in the morning.. use nice eggs and plenty of veggie ingredients or spice.

Probably the only liquid food I consume occasionally is a full fat coconut milk blended with frozen fruit.. yummy medium chain fatty smoothie

Guest fiznuthian

Good eating is important in being to exercise effectively as well. So it's a win all around for you monsieur le trois-0-trois

Exercise is painful, leaves me sore for days, and never feels rewarding when eating shit food on the reg..

Eating well is totally different.. exercise, especially at high-intensities, feels so awesome! It's easy to get addicted to the feeling.

Being able to run several miles, stop, then have my breath back to normal within seconds is just indescribable.

Has anyone tried eating a fruit salad in the morning /for breakfast, some people on the ADHD forums say it gives you energy and a "happy" way to start the day. I'm gonna buy one tomorrow and see what happens. (not a fan of fruit and veggies but i have to make the effort)

Guest EleminoP

I've been having fruit smoothies for breakfast fairly often. I like it quite a bit. Grind up some flax seeds and throw them in for extra health boost power.

Guest fiznuthian

If you're used to eating a diet high in simple sugars then making the change to a meat or veggie heavy diet would be a little difficult. There a significant changes in the human metabolism that occur once nutrient density becomes available and you're not ingesting as much omega 6 laden oils, sugars, refined grains, nuts and such..

I think there is absolutely no scientific basis for avoiding fruit in any quantity. Remember that the standard American junk food absolutely destroys your leptin sensitivity. To be leptin resistant is to be hungry often, and unable to to stop consuming high food reward foods. These typically have varying ratios of fat to sugars, but never too much of one exclusively. The dopamine circuitry in the hypothalamus is important for fat regulation as well as regulating food intake, it also serves as a reward system that reinforces behavior. Specifically, the motivational value of food. Some scientists defined this as a hedonic value or palability of food.

If you've ever felt like your junk food habits are similar (a lesser degree, ocfourse) to a drug addiction, this is pretty much why. This is not a normal state for the human body, because by willfully excluding high food reward foods from your diet your hypothalamus will automatically regulate body fatness and appetite.

Now you have complete control over your appetite. Cook and eat real food only and watch what happens. If your food was not produced by a farmer, do not eat it.

The struggle here is that that mustering the self control to eat the foods you want and would prefer can take some time when conditioned to expect highly palatable food. It's fucking hard to give them up, even if you absolutely have to. There's a TED talk I posted in another thread by a scientist who reversed her own multiple sclerosis eating a brain-specific paleo diet. For people like her radical dietary changes were necessary, but just like everyone else who switches to a low-moderate food reward way of eating, she came to prefer eating this way because you stay full longer, you no longer obsess over food, and low-moderate nutrient dense meals become absolutely delicious again. This is not at all impossible. If it were, people wouldn't continue to thrive on vegetarian, vegan, paleo, or whatever farm fresh diet models and actually enjoy the change in foods.

So keep this in mind as you eat fruit salad in the morning. You are not magically going to stop craving whatever foods, and if you happen to be in poor metabolic condition it takes time to stop completely. It's a lifestyle change, and it requires coming to grips with the industrial reality of your food supply.

I will also verify those folks on the ADHD forums that fruit is a great way to start the day. But until you regain leptin sensitivity, eating protein will help suppress your appetite more effectively and burn to keep you going.

Guest couch

Mostly meats cooked in butter or coconut oil, I have fun with them.. spice em whatever.

Probably make a pot roast atleast once a week.. doesn't get any easier than this.

Then I steam, saute, or roast vegetables every day for myself. Potatoes and grass-fed butter are a staple..

Anything else I eat is just lots of delicious fruits.. no preparation necessary ofcourse.

Omelets are a fun way to satisfy appetite in the morning.. use nice eggs and plenty of veggie ingredients or spice.

Probably the only liquid food I consume occasionally is a full fat coconut milk blended with frozen fruit.. yummy medium chain fatty smoothie

I'm digging that link. Thanks dude.

Guest viscosity

certain minerals can help with unease/anxiety. taking Magnesium/zinc has a tranquilizing effect for me, and most people have a deficiency in it apparently. B6 (and B12) can provide a boost of energy if you feel lethargic but trying to avoid caffeine. the B vitamins in general are supposed to be good for your health and curbing stress

Guest fiznuthian

grass-fed butter.. lol that sounds silly

one taste and you will never want another butter ever again.. it's butter-candy.

and it has nutritional profile is out of this world.. vitamin K2 absolutely rules.

Kerrygold%2BButter.JPG

grass-fed butter.. lol that sounds silly

one taste and you will never want another butter ever again.. it's butter-candy.

and it has nutritional profile is out of this world.. vitamin K2 absolutely rules.

Kerrygold%2BButter.JPG

butter from grass-fed cows is pretty much standard in these parts and kerrygold costs half that here (sounds like im gloating.. not my intention). nah, i just found the phrasing "grass-fed butter" amusing :p

does your diet allow for beer?

i'm really interested in eating more like this and i think i could stick to meat + fruits&veggies pretty easily, but there's no way i'd give up craft beer.

Guest fiznuthian

does your diet allow for beer?

i'm really interested in eating more like this and i think i could stick to meat + fruits&veggies pretty easily, but there's no way i'd give up craft beer.

I don't drink beer, no. Though perhaps a gluten-free beer would be okay. I'm not too sure, as alcohol isn't something I consume often.

From what I understand moderate alcohol consumption can actually be beneficial in ways.. but there's no guarantee here, and its not a topic i've bothered to research thoroughly.

A lot of people do extremely well eating paleo, vegan, vegetarian (well unless they're pigging on vegetarian junk food), raw food diets, etc.. I think there is a reason for this. Limiting yourself to foods that would come from a farm and thus mimicking a diet resembling our ancestral one is the common theme. Meat, veggies, fruit or any combination of the three. Nutrient density is important.

Personally I adopted a paleo diet and it works the best for me.. meat is energy and nutrient dense, satiates effectively, tastes delicious. I'm obsessed with feeding my brain and body fatty acids, and good meats deliver the goods.

Unless you suddenly discover you have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity, I can't imagine some beer sparingly is going to set you back at all as long as 90% of what you eat is actually real food that you cook or eat raw.

Lastly, I just want to make all of this relevant to the thread..

In terms of mental health adopting a "paleo diet" lifestyle has helped tremendously sort out my instability. I don't feel mood swings, I am constantly motivated and energetic, I feel focused and centered pretty much all day ever day. I can't deny this helps relieve social anxiety tremendously..

There's some days I almost feel manic, as if someone slipped me a happy pill and didn't say anything. I'm not saying depression, or any mental disorder is verifiably related to diet. It's just my experience and god damn has it been a good one.

There's no diet on this planet that allows for beer AFAIK.

do you know what diet means? you could consume nothing but beer and feathers and it would be a diet

There's no diet on this planet that allows for beer AFAIK.

do you know what diet means? you could consume nothing but beer and feathers and it would be a diet

tell me more about this diet

Guest Enter a new display name

Social awkwardness is about working on it and perhaps accepting it. As long as I have those following criterion, everything is cool: relatively sociable friends contacting me to hang out, keeping myself busy at home and not feeling shitty about my daily lifestyle. I have significantly improved social-wise since I entered university although I still haven't reached 1% of Braintree's level when it comes to women. But I must say it sucks when I notice my clumsiness with some customers at my job.

I just want to say thanks, Fiznuthian, for all the wonderful posts and advice. Also kudos to everyone else who offered advice and kind words.

Much love!

Archived