IGNORED

Why is Flying Lotus so popular?

o00o

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if flylo was a white guy he would have no where near the following he does.

true, but mux mool and daedelus are doing alright

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Him being black probably gives him about an extra 5% to 10% more hype, maximum, IMHO.

I think he has more play counts on last.fm due to the fact that he's more "current" then older warp acts. Maybe not as many people listen to afx/boc nowadays (i may just be talking out of my ass though)

I think he has more play counts on last.fm due to the fact that he's more "current" then older warp acts. Maybe not as many people listen to afx/boc nowadays (i may just be talking out of my ass though)

or just listening habits...no one was scrobbing anything back in the mid-90s/early 2000s heyday at WARP, Rephlex, etc

I'd be curious to see how large the gaps are as well in regards to record sales/downloads and lastfm "listens" from artist to artist as well. Sometimes the "top" tracks are the ones that were free downloads/hyped singles for certain musicians.

Him being black probably gives him about an extra 5% to 10% more hype, maximum, IMHO.

In all seriousness it's irrelevant, and likewise I think the "Coltrane" connection leading to increased popularity is bullshit as well. As I said in my earlier rant, it's been highlighted because his Aunt Alice inspired him while producing Cosmogramma. That's it. It's not like a potential increase of awareness by people who follow high-brow music critics amounts to some kind of major breakout success, even if the Coltrane family was name-checked. MF Doom had coverage in the New Yorker and on NPR at the height of Madvilliany's success, but that doesn't mean those stories lead to him breaking out more than other underground hip-hop artists years ago.

I think the moral of the story or thread is that people are extremely fickle when it comes to music. They'll complain about the lack of good music being released and then shun the good music when it gets the attention it deserves because they feel uncomfortable brushing against the fans who are different from them.

I think the moral of the story or thread is that people are extremely fickle when it comes to music. They'll complain about the lack of good music being released and then shun the good music when it gets the attention it deserves because they feel uncomfortable brushing against the fans who are different from them.

i'm not sure it's about fans though. i think on this forum it's more resentment toward a successful producer who musicians here feel isn't innovative or original enough. i mean, every time there's a flying lotus thread awepittance pops up and says something derogatory. i think it's a more personal vendetta people have toward musicians who are perceived as popular without having to pay the appropriate dues or break new ground musically. look at the skrillex thread. sure, his music does suck, but it doesn't have any effect on this forum or the careers of anyone here. yet it's an enormous thread full of people hating on someone who is pretty clearly an irrelevant tool. his existence changes nothing. autechre will still make music. that italo disco album you're putting out on your net label still won't be listened to by anyone, so don't worry. and shlohmo and flying lotus can exist side by side and be appreciated by the same audience. the world doesn't have to be binary.

if flylo was a white guy he would have no where near the following he does.

true, but mux mool and daedelus are doing alright

Daedelus is good but soooo cheesy sometimes

In all seriousness it's irrelevant, and likewise I think the "Coltrane" connection leading to increased popularity is bullshit as well. As I said in my earlier rant, it's been highlighted because his Aunt Alice inspired him while producing Cosmogramma. That's it. It's not like a potential increase of awareness by people who follow high-brow music critics amounts to some kind of major breakout success, even if the Coltrane family was name-checked. MF Doom had coverage in the New Yorker and on NPR at the height of Madvilliany's success, but that doesn't mean those stories lead to him breaking out more than other underground hip-hop artists years ago.

I don't know. I only listened to him because I heard he was related to the coltranes, who make some of my favorite music. I wanted to see if jazz ran in the family and all that shit.

That's why I posted that comment to begin with, because that's why I checked him out. It's not unreasonable to think that maybe others checked him out for the same reason.

I'm not saying that's why he got popular. I'm saying he's good, but I never would have heard about him (or at least, I would have heard about him way later) and given him that initial listen if I didn't see Alice Coltrane name dropped in an interview I stumbled across. If anyone else checked him out for that reason then it's exactly what I said it is, free exposure.

Guest Enter a new display name

Flying Lotus is like the Obama of electronic music (aka the black Messiah).

i own los angeles.

it's the only album i own that i never listened to.

fly-lo is just completely uninteresting for me, and i if he wouldnt have a release on warp, i wouldnt even know of him.

now you may ask: why do you have this album? answer: it was a gift.

You got the boring-est album, goofus.

Get Reset EP.

As for that hype/originality conversation, can someone please give me musical examples of music like Flylo's to come before Flylo? Because I am in the boat of Flylo's shit being pretty innovative. In comparison to you geezers, I am new to the electronic scene though.

Flylo's beats are smooth and the samples are dreamy. Pretty psychedelic hip-hop, but with more flow than most psychedelic hip-hop I've heard. It seems like everyone I meet lately has heard of and loves Massage Situation, because of its smooth original sound.

Guest zaphod

i own los angeles.

fly-lo is just completely uninteresting for me, and i if he wouldnt have a release on warp, i wouldnt even know of him.

Get Reset EP.

As for that hype/originality conversation, can someone please give me musical examples of music like Flylo's to come before Flylo? Because I am in the boat of Flylo's shit being pretty innovative. In comparison to you geezers, I am new to the electronic scene though.

Flylo's beats are smooth and the samples are dreamy. Pretty psychedelic hip-hop, but with more flow than most psychedelic hip-hop I've heard. It seems like everyone I meet lately has heard of and loves Massage Situation, because of its smooth original sound.

well, dilla for one. and then i think a lot of isdn era fsol sounds like flylo. and there are plenty of others. stuff on stones throw. i guess cosmogramma is a bit different in how it incorporates electronic textures and jazz, but i'm sure it's been done before. but i don't really listen to music because it's original or innovative, i listen to it because i like it. and i really like flying lotus.

i own los angeles.

Get Reset EP.

Amon Tobin, Madlib?

Can't say I've heard any Amon Tobin that comes close to Flying Lotus' style, and I know that if I were to play ISDN to the people that are so big on Flylo, they'd probably say, "What is this Techno Shit?" (No offense to that album, it's pretty cool).

As for the others, I'll give them a listen.

As for Cosmogramma, I feel like something like that has been done too. Especially the second half of the album.

As for Flylo being black, I don't think that makes a difference. I'm sure many people who fall in love with Massage Situation from Adult Swim bumps don't say, "This music kicks ass, wait is this guy black, yea okay, this music kicks ass". Maybe it's why the Bleep/Pitchfork community love him though.

You know what, never mind in regards to Cosmogramma. As far as I can tell, that shit is pretty unique as well. I can think of many things that use quickish beats with orchestral swells and the occasional synth (Gold Panda, and lots of other newer Bleep artists, and then like Orchestral Breaks artists from earlier). But, the bass and heavy synths really make that album stand out.

i guess cosmogramma is a bit different in how it incorporates electronic textures and jazz, but i'm sure it's been done before. but i don't really listen to music because it's original or innovative, i listen to it because i like it. and i really like flying lotus.

That's where I'm at too, there's probably some subtle nuances to his mixing, sampling, synth choices, etc that make him stand out even thought it's not completely novel or innovative. Like Murveman pointed out, the synths and bass are his trademarks - I know Flylo when I hear it, usually based on those sounds.

I'm guessing it's the primacy/recency effect or whatever, so I wouldn't worry about it. Forget about shit like last.fm and just concentrate on what you yourself enjoy about music.

Can't say I've heard any Amon Tobin that comes close to Flying Lotus'

you must not have listened to early amon tobin then. he is all over that style. he even sampled a straight tobin sample and didn't even change it much on los angeles.

edit: here check it out

http://www.whosample...ch'n Chain/

and

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/73374/Amon%20Tobin-Saboteur_The%20Aynsley%20Dunbar%20Retaliation-Watch'n%20Chain/

Archived