IGNORED

Why is Flying Lotus so popular?

o00o

When I see comments in Flying Lotus' shoutbox saying, nothing has really touched Cosmogramma, I tend to believe that these Cosmogrammians have heard no other form of electronic music from the decade of 1990-2000, or much of anything else. I don't have a problem with people liking him, my problem arises from people who praise him for certain aspects like originality when their claims are more fan driven rather than objective.

It's worse when I go to Aphex's page and you have people saying, "I don't see what makes this guy so special, am I missing something?"

It's not hard to believe for some people this is their favorite album, it's original to me and in it's way can't be touched.

It has little to do with 1990-2000 electronic music i don't see your point, most electronic music wizards i love made their best works after that period

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just a great album and one of WARP's finest artist right now, people talk about it just as they did with the aphex twin cause its good

and flying lol, were i come from, noone has heard of him

[media=]

[/media]

wait wait wait, are you posting this song because you like it/as an example of good music past 2000? I do not want to be rude, but I really did not think that anyone actually enjoyed Scooter. Ramp! (The Logical Song) is seriously one of the worst electronic songs ever made.

I think I'm in the minority because la is very meh to me. in no way bad but I'd rather listen to tobin. cosmogramma definitely upped his game by leaps and bounds but it's a short album full of short sketches. nothing really feels fully formed. I do really enjoy it though. his next album could be an absolute beast if he follows the path it looks like he is on.

I'll still take lorn over anyone in that area though.

When I see comments in Flying Lotus' shoutbox saying, nothing has really touched Cosmogramma, I tend to believe that these Cosmogrammians have heard no other form of electronic music from the decade of 1990-2000, or much of anything else. I don't have a problem with people liking him, my problem arises from people who praise him for certain aspects like originality when their claims are more fan driven rather than objective.

It's worse when I go to Aphex's page and you have people saying, "I don't see what makes this guy so special, am I missing something?"

It's not hard to believe for some people this is their favorite album, it's original to me and in it's way can't be touched.

It has little to do with 1990-2000 electronic music i don't see your point, most electronic music wizards i love made their best works after that period

Good point. :biggrin:

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Cosmogramma is amazing but yes it feels like most of the tracks are only half done or don't really go to the locations they wanted to go to. It had potential to be a lot better. I'm really looking forward to hearing how his next LP turns out.

LA doesn't really have they same level of magic that Cosmogramma could have had but it's an incredibly solid record and I find myself listening to it a lot when I work out. Until towards the end of LA every track that comes on is like YEAH, yeah! So groovy, solid, cohesive, that record has a perfect pacing etc.

I will say it one more time, I really wish his stuff sounded 33.3% less super old school analog squashed. I like the vibe but it really would be so nice if it was a little less in your face dense unclean as fuck.

Ganus i trolled the shit out of you men

i'm was refering to afx/drukqs, autechre, etc, haha jesus christ dude, scootah :lol:

well, I am relieved. it is hard to be sure sometimes, as (if I remember correctly) there was a guy on here a while back that was seriously asserting that everything electronic was getting really unoriginal except electro house.

I think I'm in the minority because la is very meh to me. in no way bad but I'd rather listen to tobin. cosmogramma definitely upped his game by leaps and bounds but it's a short album full of short sketches. nothing really feels fully formed. I do really enjoy it though. his next album could be an absolute beast if he follows the path it looks like he is on.

I'll still take lorn over anyone in that area though.

Nah, I agree with all of this. AND I just learned that Lorn has a new album coming out in June! :D

Mmmmm I played cosmogramma to a profesional musican friend of mine (he works on scores for the BBC). He said the same as some of you, that it was full to the brim of ideas but not executed in the best way, hence a bit of a jumble. That was my take on it too.

Guest ReversedVertigo

Never got the hype around flying lotus or glitch-hop in general to be honest. I will for sure give it some chances again in the future though, but don't know when since there's tons of music I want to hear everyday, old or new.

As I see Lorn mentioned, I think his latest 2012 release "ask the dust" is almost unbearable except for one track which was average/decent ...

• 10 months later...

Shlohmo > FlyLo

You know, I've been a bit burned out on Flying Lotus lately and instead found myself listening to Shlohmo and many of the other Brainfeeder/Low End Theory artists a lot more (Teebs, Matthewdavid) as well other "beat scene" and "wonky" artists.

>

MRS. CHRISTOPHERSON

1ST GRADE MUSIC

June 17 1989

The question presented is why is Flying Lotus so poplar.

You guys have to realize that he can fly and he's a fucking lotus, which is pretty weird and awesome. I mean, Lotus makes fast cars, but most of them can't fucking fly. Not even the Elise! Therefore Flying Lotus should be popular.

In conclusion, I like things that are awesome. Today my cat fell off the bed and he landed on his feet, which is awesome. This is similar to Flying Lotus.

It's a good thesis, but the argument needs work. A-

But it fails to acknowledge that Lotus Can Swim Underwater, which is why Flylo is wonky but not aquacrunk. Swimming Lotus must be acknowledged in the argument. Perhaps the whole thesis topic needs to change focus, imo. C+

Lotus_Esprit_S1_Submarine_Thum.jpg

So what you're really saying is, to create a truly superior Lotus, we need to combine the powers of FlyLo and Ultrademon?

Guest jasondonervan

Totally apathetic to Flying Lotus. I remember 1983 getting heavily praised on release back in... 2006/7, but back then I wasn't down with it. Gave LA and Cosmo a try to see if I was missing something, but both fell flat on these ears. Neither terrible nor particularly interesting, I still don't understand the hype around him.

Guest zaphod

i think cosmogramma is an amazing album, but it's loud as shit. no dynamics. his last album really sucked. i've never liked los angeles, with the exception of golden diva and the last track.

Guest murphythecat8

I do not hate flying lotus, but I find his music un-attractive. Good, but nothing special about it. Prefuse 73 is a similar artist. they are good, but the music is just boring on the long run.

You know something Rudy, you like school in summertime

just listen to this track you deaf dumbasses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ89dxhD-Zc&feature=player_detailpage

yeah, this is good, but does go anywhere. I cannot beleive anyone in here, closing is eyes and getting touched by this track

That beat is so fucking cool. It's funny how many people on this forum like highly repetitive house music (including me) and then they hear a FlyLo tune and they say it goes nowhere. If there was a four-on-the-floor 909 kick on this track then it would win WATMM single of the year.

Honestly, I'm so confused. Actress wins (or nearly wins, I forget) album of the year, but alot of those same folks who love Actress regularly hate on FlyLo. Hilarious.

(p.s. I do like Actress)

Until The Backlash Comes. He makes good music that epitomizes a certain genre. He's popular because he has the pedigree. I'm sure his next album as Flying Lotus will be a doozy. Besides jazz, he's influenced by J Dilla and Madlib, whose tracks are usually short sketches and to the point as they invite an MC to rap over them. Each one a certain crate-digging exploration of genres of music in their collection that they put into a new context, much like FlyLo does. He's getting his hip-hop on as Captain Murphy, so I'm sure he knows that the logical step with his next FL album will be to go long form and exploratory with his tracks, like the great jazz/fusion forefathers before him. And it will slay as he decides to work with more live musicians and hip hop beats will be the anchor that keeps it from getting to "noodly" for some. If you think his career so far is "bad" (right) then admit it's promising at the very least. He has moments that rival the best in much popular music.

You know something Rudy, you like school in summertime

just listen to this track you deaf dumbasses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ89dxhD-Zc&feature=player_detailpage

yeah, this is good, but does go anywhere. I cannot beleive anyone in here, closing is eyes and getting touched by this track

Murphy the track is a friggin trip that builds up and at 2:55 he has a psychedelic orgasm

fucking lol people, cosmogramma is one of the best albums on warp give it another shot, good music needs time in your life

(p.s. Limpy Loo +1000 points)

Guest murphythecat8

im suppose to have a ear orgasm because of the harp? sorry, but I dont share your enthousiasm at all, I dont see anything good actually about this track. besides his production skill, which I really like, but musically, this is boring for me.

Archived