IGNORED

Why is Flying Lotus so popular?

o00o

Guest zaphod

i really enjoy the afro futurism of cosmogramma, it sounds very organic to me. can't think of any artists currently exploring that sound, especially combining it with electronic music in such a natural way. i'm not really a fan of anything else he's done, save a couple songs here and there. he seems like a tool in interviews, but so do a lot of people.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Big fan of these as well, Unexpected Delight probably being the favourite

Definitely check out the Long Lost (Daedelus + Laura Darlington), this Flying Lotus remix is quite good too:

• 3 weeks later...

flylo is overrated for sure. he has the potential to do something really amazing though.

Yeah I don't see what's so hard to understand about this. Dude is not making some of the best music ever. Most people aren't. Life goes on.

His shit is miles beyond 95% of the stuff that get praise around here.

lymphaticloo is right

this guy is so popular he got his own radio station on gta 5

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/14237/article/gta-5-flying-lotus-to-get-his-own-radio-station/

lol wow fck that a thousand times over that reeks of pitchfork echo chamber bs

the genius of warp! i find his music pretty boring. he too just recycle. nothing new. copy/paste shit.

and all those housy-jazzy butters on his ass so people say he's cool, his music is cool, f.that!

moodymann is cool

this guy is so popular he got his own radio station on gta 5

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/14237/article/gta-5-flying-lotus-to-get-his-own-radio-station/

lol wow fck that a thousand times over that reeks of pitchfork echo chamber bs

"a ton of new songs and information, including rapping a new Captain Murphy song produced by Hudson Mohawke." The information was revealed to us on the FUTUREbeats subreddit, one of the nicer places on the site.

For fans of IDM and fans of GTA, it's like two of the best things in the world have come together in a supercollision of awesome matter. The discovery of the next Higgs Boson particles can't be too far away from GTA 5.

:cerious::trashbear::cerious::trashbear::cerious::trashbear:

the genius of warp! i find his music pretty boring. he too just recycle. nothing new. copy/paste shit.

and all those housy-jazzy butters on his ass so people say he's cool, his music is cool, f.that!

moodymann is cool

that's probably because you'r a pretty boring recycled nazi whore

moodymann is cool

that's probably because you'r a pretty boring recycled nazi whore

hehee...You're such a moron!

Guest SampleScience

I think he's popular because of his family (Alice and John Coltrane). It gets him attention, not necessarily in the media but from the public. Having your product associated with a well known name helps a lot. Anyone in the entertainment field knows that. That's part of the reason there's so many remake in the cinema industry for instance. I listened to Cosmogramma and never understood what was there, for me this is just a big mess. Not only do I find his music bad, but I hear all kinds of "mistakes" in it (he's beats are not synch, no harmony, distortion, too much compression, etc.). That's probably what the kids like about it, they know their parents won't listen to this kind of music because the nouveauté about it is the fact he breaks rules. Having a look at the titles gives you a pretty good idea: Zodiac Shit, Nose Art, Dance of the Pseudo Nymph.... very clever...

Another reason why he's so popular, I would say he's working really hard to make his way in this business. There's so many people who'd like to do what he's doing, he's probably putting a lot of energy pushing his music. Bravo...

Yeah... if Cosmogramma is a mess then so is every album by every artist this forum is dedicated to. There's more filler on Geogaddi ffs. Really. Be objective.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ZombieLincoln666

He makes good music, and it appeals to hip-hoppers and IDMers as well. Arguably Prefuse 73 was the pioneer, but FlyLo is a bit more interesting.

My comments were made based on my experiences alone. If my experiences were subject to some variables which skewed the outcomes, this was unknown to me. I think its reasonable for people to extrapolate to wider community based on their experiences.

Anyhow, i have seen FlyLo twice : once in LDN and once in Brisbane. Both headline gigs.

There were more chicks at the Fly Lo gigs than most other gigs i go to. Pretty simple stuff really ... I'm not too sure what is so offensive about that comment? To be honest, I'd love it if the music i generally found myself drawn to attracted more girls than beard stroking, beer gut cultivating, self proclaimed 'connoisseurs' of the scene. In no way were my comments constructed to label Fly Lo's music as 'girly' or 'mainstream', nor was it intended to insult those people who rate it highly. People got to settle the fuck down.

I just found the thought funny that I would listen to FlyLo or any other artist to attract girls. Because when I play music I like to a girl the expression is usually like this (this goes for men also..):

w1p7kg.gif

Though, I'm guilty of saying that I listen to Radiohead when trying to score, but that was like over 10 years ago, lol.

And I failed.

ha. Yeah I don't think anything on Warp is generally used for attracting girls - but there are definitely artists that are more or less likely to cause the reaction as described above. My partner yesterday said that Squarepusher's "Hard Normal Daddy" made her feel sick. She put on the Kardashians after that and you know what ... I had to think a little.

It pisses me off when girls watch reality TV so much.

• 1 month later...

I don't remember seeing a woman at the AE Oversteps gig in Melbourne, although my eyes were closed for much of the time due to trippin hard to the awesome music, alas there were a few outside once it was all done, but whats with this thread and all the bizarre insight to what it means to be a Warp renowned artist?

I haven't got into him simply because i'm consumed with other music, but i plan to. Dreams are important and i think this guy attributes that importance to his music... so what? how is that a bad thing? people can get so defensive about a collaboration with Thom Yorke or the fact he's wikipedia article is too big. who cares... it's the music that really matters.

seems really humble and forthcoming about himself which i respect, and which is why i'll be picking up one of his albums once i get bored with Exai and Tomorrows Harvest, which may take awhile, and by that time perhaps AFX has maybe chimed in with something.

anyway, whys such a popular artist have no dedicated sub fourm here in watmm featured artists ;P

Archived