IGNORED

The way women talk on radio station ads

encey

That fucking nasal inflection that women use on mainstream radio ads -- where did that come from, and, just, why?! The low-pass filter makes it even more grating!

Here's an example:

Why do they gotta do thaaat?!

What is it supposed to even suggest? That you can party with girls who have a bratty attitude, if you go to these events? Is it the way people talk sarcastically for humorous purposes, but in this case without saying anything sarcastic? Are they talking as if they're uttering some forbidden incantation? wtf.

Guest fiznuthian

I hate that shit with a passion!

Mainstream radio is absolutely grating to listen to.. Even hearing it on loud speakers from other people's vehicles is slightly annoying.

It is all about standing out in a sea of noise.

this.. probably.

That fucking nasal inflection that women use on mainstream radio ads -- where did that come from, and, just, why?! The low-pass filter makes it even more grating!

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XziCLNZ81I

Why do they gotta do thaaat?!

What is it supposed to even suggest? That you can party with girls who have a bratty attitude, if you go to these events? Is it the way people talk sarcastically for humorous purposes, but in this case without saying anything sarcastic? Are they talking as if they're uttering some forbidden incantation? wtf.

I'm not sure how you can have an ad featuring nearly-identical sounding overproduced, auto-tuned, brick-walled, and artistically bankrupt "RNB" from (apparently) multiple artists, and be bothered most by the announcer's voice, but congrats for... that particular feat.

lol who the fuck is Asher Roth and why is there not a thread making fun of him?

FUCK I had erased him from my memory banks until now.

The annoying chick voice phenomenon is definitely a national plague here in the States. It's with television too, to a degree - a voiceover on a national ad from a year back or featured a female narrator who placed a saliva-tinged lispy end to each word. I have no idea how she landed that gig. Maybe they're appealing to idiots. That would also explain why NPR's hosts are the best voices on the radio (except that correspondent in Pakistan with the pseudo-British accent who says Paaah-keh-staaaun).

I thought that was how Americans talked. That Maine accent is super nasal-y, I presume anywhere around that is the same.

Also lol

who the fuck is Asher Roth?

I thought that was how Americans talked. That Maine accent is super nasal-y, I presume anywhere around that is the same.

Just like how all you blokes in England sound like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, amirite?

But in all seriousness American accents are quite varied, especially outside of cities. You can tell a native Californian or New Yorker pretty easily. Rural Southern accents are insanely distinct. In the media it's all pretty monotonous (i.e. newscasters) to the point where some linguist said the "average" American accent is close to that of Midwestern states. Coincidently, Cronkite and Tom Brokaw started their careers in that region and people like Colbert (of South Carolina) and Dan Rather (Texas) downplay their natural drawls.

I grew up all over with other military dependents so I have absolutely no accent. I notice my dad's only comes out when he's talking to relatives. He's mentioned he didn't realize he had one until he served with guys from the Northeast. Also, my brother-in-law is from Maine and uh...yeah lol

Yuh fuckin aahs'les wuld stop yuh disrespectin of Downeaghsta Mainah accents if yuh know what's gowd fayuh. Ayuh, my uncle Jim in Eastpot 'll throw yuh in a fuckin industrial lobstah cookuh, yuh fuckin sonofa'owah, if yuh come ovaheauh

I just want to clarify: I love mainstream radio pop.

I just hate those voiceovers! But really, I cannot even speculate how it got decided that that was the way you should talk on those ads. I mean, these Clear Channel stations have to do some million-dollar scientific study on the best way to grab people's attention like a fucking vice grip and not let go until Rihanna is stuck in their head until the moment they finally pass out from exhaustion. But what is it, even from a neurophysiological point of view, about that way of talking that makes it the way?

*listens to

It is, but then again Americans in the North are likely as exaggerated when they try to imitate Southern accents, and vice-versa. And impressions of Californians by the rest of Americans just sound like:

Southern accents are pretty diverse, especially in rural areas. Appalacian accents sound nothing like those in Texas, and likewise those sound very distinct from accents in Georgia or the Carolinas. I'm sure in all countries where people have migrated to cities and move more often than not, local and regional accents are less prevalent and less distinct. Reminds me of better moments of the recent seasons of the Office:

The stereotypical "redneck accent" does exist, but it's almost like the parody itself is now prevalent. People like Larry the Cable Guy or Paula Dean exaggerate their accents on purpose. The former sounds nothing like that out of character. Here's some real red neck accents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FffzU7F6Lc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlO7OSDG-6g

I find the female baby voice way more annoying and creepy. There was a really good article about this phenomena (women using the baby voice to seem more attractive to men) in Japan but I can't seem to find it now.

An example about 20 seconds in:

[youtubehd]-2A_8UIeBTk[/youtubehd]

Archived