IGNORED

Women and the IDMz

Ifeelspace

Who the hell uses that term. Anyway, i've always found that the term electronic music is sufficient to get me ignored.

;-]

Thankfully they can usually look past this faux pas. And in some ways it adds to your allure, the mystique of the unknown lying in the mind of that sexy beast, who's into music and shit.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

women dont like idm because they want to be as generic as fuck liking the typical: metal, classic rock, metal, pop, pop and mainstream shit like radiohead and sigur ros or bjork... well most of them, and since most of the big tall black men like that shit... well

i wish i had a girlfriend that loved alva noto and sakamoto as much as i do... but no sad sad sad

eh? Bjork and Radiohead aren't generic as fuck or typical. imo anyway. quite the opposite, in fact.

how are things in 1998?

something gets popular, people start playing in that style, it gets generic. sure it's not maybe top 40 radio hits area, but if we were to go by such standards, we could as well say foster the people are bringing diversity to music.

also, bitching about IDM being called IDM is the stupidest thing ever. it's like hipsters being offended by people calling them hipsters. who cares.

Guest sirch

women dont like idm because they want to be as generic as fuck liking the typical: metal, classic rock, metal, pop, pop and mainstream shit like radiohead and sigur ros or bjork... well most of them, and since most of the big tall black men like that shit... well

i wish i had a girlfriend that loved alva noto and sakamoto as much as i do... but no sad sad sad

eh? Bjork and Radiohead aren't generic as fuck or typical. imo anyway. quite the opposite, in fact.

how are things in 1998?

something gets popular, people start playing in that style, it gets generic. sure it's not maybe top 40 radio hits area, but if we were to go by such standards, we could as well say foster the people are bringing diversity to music.

also, bitching about IDM being called IDM is the stupidest thing ever. it's like hipsters being offended by people calling them hipsters. who cares.

hmmm, no.

how are things in Poland?

name me at least 10 bands that sound like Radiohead, and 10 female vocalists/bands that sound like Bjork, now, in 2012...

go..

bjork was being copied a lot back in the 90s with the whole trip hop craze (esp. madonna w/ bedtime stories). lady gaga may have copied bjork's style of wearing inanimate objects and generally weird costumes. i don't listen to radiohead so i can't really comment.

how are things in 1998?

hmmm, no.

how are things in Poland?

name me at least 10 bands that sound like Radiohead, and 10 female vocalists/bands that sound like Bjork, now, in 2012...

go..

Both Radiohead and Bjork are irrelevant in 2012, nobody is copying them.

Guest sirch

Bjork and Radiohead will never be "generic", imho, purely because nobody else on earth sounds like them.

Thom, basically, is Radiohead. nobody sounds like him. and Bjork is Bjork. nobody sounds like her.

dress is a different thing entirely. and Gaga aint got shit on Bjork, in the 90's or now.

Guest sirch

Both Radiohead and Bjork are irrelevant in 2012, nobody is copying them.

people might not be copying them, but they're not irrelevant.

Bjork and Radiohead will never be "generic", imho, purely because nobody else on earth sounds like them.

Thom, basically, is Radiohead. nobody sounds like him. and Bjork is Bjork. nobody sounds like her.

dress is a different thing entirely. and Gaga aint got shit on Bjork, in the 90's or now.

Muse's first album was a Radiohead rip-off. I can't comment on Bjork, but i've been to zoos that have animals with a similar sound to Bjork.

Guest sirch

Muse's first album was a Radiohead rip-off. I can't comment on Bjork, but i've been to zoos that have animals with a similar sound to Bjork.

that maybe so. but they aren't releasing records.

and 1 other band does not make something generic.

i didn't know that most big black men like radiohead and sigur ros or bjork

learnt so many new things from this thread

I'm guessing it could be very, if not mostly, cultural. Or, at least, that many of the genetic reasons for it are not specifically related to music tastes but rather side effects of other traits. Like someone mentioned earlier, women are more likely to try to fit in and I would imagine that that is somewhat genetic (although even this might be due to social pressures).

Of the people that I've shown electronic music, there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference between guys and girls in how much they like it. I've found more guys that already like that kind of music, but I've shown several girls who say "this is pretty interesting, I kind of like it". Now that I think about it, I think maybe more girls have liked it than guys in my experience. I've also noticed that more girls (and guys) tend to enjoy "strange" music in circles that encourage critical and individual thinking. This is all just anecdotal evidence, though.

I think it's interesting to point out that as you get into art forms less affected by popular culture, females seem to become more prevalent as creators. There are very few female directors. But there are plenty of chick painters.

Guest Sprigg

I seem to find an equal number of girls and guys who like 'strange electronic music' or 'idm' or whatever... the girls usually tend to be extremely creative artsy types, and the guys tend to be generally weird blokes anyway.

i've been to zoos that have animals with a similar sound to Bjork.

fucking lol.

as to the original topic, who cares?

I seem to find an equal number of girls and guys who like 'strange electronic music' or 'idm' or whatever... the girls usually tend to be extremely creative artsy types, and the guys tend to be generally weird blokes anyway.

Shit this thread is a bummer. I'd like to imagine girls out there have any appreciation for anything other than top 40 music but i've seen only a few cases showing otherwise, save for a friend of mine who likes lots of hipster music (I guess this isn't too uncommon though)

I'd say the sex ratio is more like 80%/20% than 99%/1% based on the gigs I've been and the internet fan group memberships, the females just maybe a little less vocal about it.

Also, this is just my speculation but I think some of the girls may be put off by the nerdish stigma that listening to something called INTELLIGENT dance music would bring where as some of boys will say they listen to it just because they want to portray themselves as more intelligent, smarter or whatever than they actually are.

I know it's been discussed ad nauseam but IDM is one of the worst fucking genre names ever. It creates a sort of elitist aura around the whole music that will put off some potential listeners because they think it's too highbrow and artsy and attract people who just want to say they listen to something intelligent.

Very few of my friends are into any of the music I like regardless of their sex , be it Intelligent Brain Music or otherwise. It doesn't mean that I'm cooler than them, just that they have lives and things.

I made this thread not as a criticism to the fairer sex, but because it has frustrated me throughout life that the music I love is not often appreciated by those closest to me.

People seem more upset that I referred to it as IDM than anything else. I still don't know why this name causes people to get their panties in a twist - it's no worse than 'braindance' and it's more descriptive than the genre encompassing 'electronic dance music'. Fact is, I say IDM, and you know exactly what type of music I'm talking about.

Guest sirch

it's no worse than 'braindance' and it's more descriptive than the genre encompassing 'electronic dance music'. Fact is, I say IDM, and you know exactly what type of music I'm talking about.

but do the girls/women?

Archived