IGNORED

DHS's Laser Molecule Scanner

sweepstakes

Creepy stuff...

http://gizmodo.com/5923980/the-secret-government-laser-that-instantly-knows-everything-about-you

Best comment I've read so far:

Here's a better idea -

How about we fire the TSA monkeys, Wear our shoes, carry water, and DON'T implement this bullshit?

Let's just go back to the amazingly effective way it was before the statistically inevitable system malfunction and quit acting like security theater is anything more than an expensive propaganda stunt.

Like it was on September 10, 2001?

Yup.

Exactly like it was on 09/10/01.

Because that level of security was sane, reasonable, balanced between the needs and privacy concerns of the passengers and the safety concerns of the Gov't.

Prior to 09/11, there had not been a passenger plane hijacking from American soil since 1978. Literally millions of flights, hundreds of millions of passengers, occurred in that 23 year period. Simple statistics dictates that it was going to happen. It's horrible that several thousand people died. And yes, they died, at least in part, because security failed. But that doesn't mean it was a systemic failure, it just means the system failed. When your ISP crashes, you don't expect anybody to replace the internet.

Taking off your shoes and bagging your lotions doesn't make you safer. Drone-bombing tribal weddings doesn't make you safer. Voting more security, more intrusiveness, more "for your own good"-ness doesn't make you safer.

Teaching people in North Waziristan to read and write makes you safer.

Dealing equitably with all the players in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict makes you safer.

Rejecting Benjamin Netenyahu and Khaled Meshaal as bad actors makes you safer.

Understanding the difference between Sunni, Shi'ite, Wahabi, and Alloite makes you safer.

I like this comment on The Stranger's blog post:

"

Even if this did work as they claim then it is probably fairly easy to defeat.

Just spill some gunpowder in the elevators at the airport outside of the security area. Eventually they'll have to give up as more and more people are showing up "positive".

The same for drugs. You want to move a pound through customs? Then have someone dump an ounce in the hallway and hour before you walk through."

genious

Just spill some gunpowder in the elevators at the airport outside of the security area. Eventually they'll have to give up as more and more people are showing up "positive"

The same for drugs. You want to move a pound through customs? Then have someone dump an ounce in the hallway and hour before you walk through.

genious

LOL brilliant. Like that episode of Workaholics where the guy beats the drug test by contaminating the urine samples of the entire office with his narcotic-rich lemonade.

this just makes me cringe. i've wanted to visit the us again for years now but shit like this totally puts me off. the homeland security guy i talked to last time i went there was bad enough. he made me feel like i had done something wrong and had something to feel guilty about just by being there, and gave me this suspicious look everytime i answered one of his questions. im starting to get the same feeling about visiting the us as the thought of visiting north korea, like you have to watch your every move or whatever. it sucks though because i'd really like to go there again some day.

"

Just spill some gunpowder in the elevators at the airport outside of the security area. Eventually they'll have to give up as more and more people are showing up "positive".

The same for drugs. You want to move a pound through customs? Then have someone dump an ounce in the hallway and hour before you walk through."

genious

I might be wrong, but it seems like this system could count the number of offending molecules, so they might get tired of finding trace amounts but the bells would still go off for anything higher than that.

If you think about it, anything that humans can possibly invent they inevitably WILL invent...so the shit is just going to get worse and technology eventually is going to take control of everyones personal freedoms (or the people who own the technology is gonna take over). At least while it is not possible to get directly into our minds, there is some space left. Although looks like this face reading/adrenalin sniffing worldwide mad deadly communist gangster computer god is getting there soon enough.

face reading/adrenalin sniffing worldwide mad deadly communist gangster computer god

LOL I was thinking of this when I noticed too late that my tags "paranoia" and "government" somehow got smooshed together...

I have the utmost faith that the government, military, and police will all use this for our own safety.

I have the utmost faith that the government, military, and police will all use this for our own safety.

Guest RadarJammer

At least while it is not possible to get directly into our minds, there is some space left.

Yesterday they were only sticking their dicks in raspberry marmalde, tomorrow they be stickin their dicks right into your thoughts!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/02/23/mind-reading-helmets-on-horizon-for-fighter-pilots/

http://blogs.computerworld.com/privacy/20681/orwells-thought-police-made-real-mind-reading-helmet-invades-privacy-mind

Archived