• 2 weeks later...

RUOK is my second fav MBM album. it's incredible. I used to think the second half was poor but i've changed somewhat. It's still a bit repetitive, especially in comparison to the developed compositions of the first half. RETROGRAD. 

I’m ready to get raked over the coals lol.

I must confess - I haven’t listened to any of the older albums I don’t think. I’ve got the 2 newest ones and Test EP.

iirc subliminal sammich and ruok are the mecca. Is that right? 

I’ll hand in my watmm badge 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I must confess - I haven’t listened to any of the older albums I don’t think. I’ve got the 2 newest ones and Test EP.

Yes. That’s right.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Extralife said:

Honestly though - Satyricon and Actual Sounds are also near perfect albums.

? MbM is one of those artists I know there’s so much in the back discog that’s going to blow my mind I just haven’t gotten to it yet. Same with The Black Dog and many others. 

Looking forward to starting with sublim and ruok and then I’ll hit up the other ones. 

My first exposure to MbM was as a kiddo buying the matrix soundtrack, same with the prodigy iirc. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Hugh Mughnus said:

? MbM is one of those artists I know there’s so much in the back discog that’s going to blow my mind I just haven’t gotten to it yet. Same with The Black Dog and many others. 

Looking forward to starting with sublim and ruok and then I’ll hit up the other ones. 

My first exposure to MbM was as a kiddo buying the matrix soundtrack, same with the prodigy iirc. ?

Me too. Found a lot of great shit from that soundtrack.

Also first vol of MTV AMP btw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Extralife said:

Just popped in to say this is one of Jack's best.

RUOK in general is hugely underrated. 

RUOK is incredible. i feel like jack entered New Parameters of production on this record. ofc the synthi 100 plays a big roll in the bigness of sound but the overall mix of this record is so big and dark it's like perfection. pure cum

17 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’ll hand in my watmm badge 

no one is gonna roast you dude, this is a safe space. this thread is for handkerchief heads of all sorts man

Edited by Alcofribas
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

RUOK is incredible. i feel like jack entered New Parameters of production on this record. ofc the synthi 100 plays a big roll in the bigness of sound but the overall mix of this record is so big and dark it's like perfection. pure cum

And those scratches. He’s got one track in there with Z-Trip but several others where there are some serious cuts. Like he’s proving a point. He probably was.

lol I uh, googled handkerchief head and it wasn't what I expected. ?

Looking forward to an MbM binge this weekend before I start the new job Monday. Going to be goooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddd

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

lol I uh, googled handkerchief head and it wasn't what I expected. ?

Looking forward to an MbM binge this weekend before I start the new job Monday. Going to be goooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddd

Yes. It will.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Extralife said:

And those scratches. He’s got one track in there with Z-Trip but several others where there are some serious cuts. Like he’s proving a point. He probably was.

an under-appreciated aspect of his craft. lots of kick ass scratching on Sublminal as well.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 12:08 AM, Alcofribas said:

hmm interesting. that whole stretch of post subliminal sangwhich albums was a weird journey. lots of interesting stuff but for me nothing really stood out as an immersive album from start to finish until 'impossible star.' it's such a tight collection of stuff and has a definite *vibe* that i've missed for so many years. 'opaque couche' was extremely good as well imo. my whole relationship to mbm is tough to express bc subliminal is not only my fave mbm but also probably my fave album of all time so every album after that one and its accompanying singles has been...idk, just weird for me in some way. 

he is untouchable in so many ways, an absolute king of production. even the stuff i don't really vibe with just sounds insanely good. 

been thinking about this. I've listened to impo-star and ope-cooch recently and they're good. not my favs but some great moments. i was initially greedy and wanted them all to be like the last 30 seconds of critical soul vibrations. that perfect combination of late 90s breaks with those mid-century samples and horn hits. Jack's ability to "age" a track with a sample or some technique is second to none. I don't know if I'm making any sense, will think on this effect and explain later

but seriously how can anyone be an IDM fan and not think that MBM are "up there" with the best. it's stupid. there is no counter argument. ur just dumb

22 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

Jack's ability to "age" a track with a sample or some technique is second to none. I don't know if I'm making any sense, will think on this effect and explain later

Perfect sense, although I do have to say I finally listened to King Tubby years after getting into MBM and I was like... OH. But yeah Jack is still the boss because he can make anything sound like it's coming from a giant sound system in the 1970s, even, like, the Mac "say" app and Elektrons.

after that dwell article on jack's home i got so happy. he's living the dream in norcal, amazing house, still has his synths, lots of custom hardwood shelves for his records, happily married. good on you jack. seems like his wife is very successful too which made sense because being a relatively obscure IDM artist's IDM artist doesn't really buy you a gorgeous villa in marin county now does it. maybe all those radio babylon 12"s really added up or someting

Edited by dr lopez
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

after that dwell article on jack's home i got so happy. he's living the dream in norcal, amazing house, still has his synths, lots of custom hardwood shelves for his records, happily married. good on you jack. seems like his wife is very successful too which made sense because being a relatively obscure IDM artist's IDM artist doesn't really buy you a gorgeous villa in marin county now does it. maybe all those radio babylon 12"s really added up or someting

The man is a role model for sure. I basically see him the way most peeps here view Boards of Canada.

2 hours ago, Extralife said:

Honestly though - Satyricon and Actual Sounds are also near perfect albums.

NONE of these albums appear to be available on bandcamp. ? 

I’ll have to wait for cds to come in, guess this weekend won’t be a good un’

1 hour ago, sweepstakes said:

Confession time: I have never given RUOK a proper spin. Time to rectify that.

Yes yes, but have you heard RUOK..... in Dub?!?

Edited by BobDobalina
fuc youtube is what, <3 U Jack