IGNORED

iPhone 5

J3FF3R00

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erm, what's the difference (to a clearly blind PC user) to these ones from 2010:

apple-imac-2010.jpg

it's thinner, got ivy bridge processors (i think), better graphics cards, more RAM as standard and bigger HDD as standard. also tweaked the display so it's closer to the viewer (like, the lcd display bit is closer to the glass and the glass is thinner) and apparently looks better (not retina though).

Ipad 2 seems dead in the water now, it's almost as if they've kept it in the line up to justify the pricing structure of the other two.

Been holding off on an ipad to see what the mini was like. Will probably get the mini, but the price isn't great.

Erm, what's the difference (to a clearly blind PC user) to these ones from 2010:

apple-imac-2010.jpg

it's thinner, got ivy bridge processors (i think), better graphics cards, more RAM as standard and bigger HDD as standard. also tweaked the display so it's closer to the viewer (like, the lcd display bit is closer to the glass and the glass is thinner) and apparently looks better (not retina though).

I've been waiting for this thing for a while. Thoughts:

• Only the 27" model has user upgradeable ram :cerious:
  • I'm glad the screen is theoretically less reflective than the previous model. I've been in the market for a new desktop and that's a big selling point. Looks like a nice screen. No retina is a plus, since the laptop class graphics in these things will not be able to push that kind of pixel density for a few years.
  • No optical drive: kind of a bummer. I'd end up buying a cheap external. Not a deal-breaker but kind of stupid to push a thin desktop (does anyone really need a thin desktop? The actual footprint is the same) and then require me to clutter up my desk with peripherals.
  • Graphics options seem ok on the high end for an all in one Mac, but I'm worried about potential thermal issues: what is throwing an i7 in there going to do with a case this constrained?
  • Can't check BTO pricing yet

apple-imac-2010.jpg

• Only the 27" model has user upgradeable ram :cerious:

shit, bit of a bummer...i've got 12GB in my current 21.5in model, wouldn't be able to match that if i upgraded :cerious:

ARGH HOW I AM TO RIP MY ALVA NOTO CDS AND MY MERZBOX NOW FUCK U APPLE

what's 1 inch gonna do when it's floating in the air over the same base. Stupid. Sexy, but stupid.

my next computer is gonna be an imac cause cad and revit fucking suck on a 15" MBP, but now I'm not as excited....

I am however really excited about the next 5-10 years of PCs. I really really hope desktops come back in a big way as tablets can do more and more and get smaller and smaller, leaving apple et all to churn out some serious computers when display is a premium for design professionals.

Tim Cook stated months back that there'd be a serious redesign of the perpetually neglected mac pro in 2013.

I'm still interested in that, but I'm also apprehensive. They've let it linger for years without even giving it respectable spec bumps. It's absolutely languishing at high prices and very out of date tech specs. Whether Apple actually gives a shit anymore about, eg anyone using CAD, will be pretty obvious when that thing is released.

The slide into unabashed, short-life consumer gear has been great for them, but they seem to be only tenuously retaining any connection to the pro user base that kept them alive for years. It'll be interesting, and potentially very disappointing.

Why'd I buy all that OS X-only Apogee shit, again? :looks at useless firewire 400 connector:

Archived