IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts

Guest jasondonervan

Guest jasondonervan

rifts-350.jpg

Oneohtrix Point Never completists rejoice – Software will release a bumper sounding boxset of early and rare material next month.

Entitled Rifts, the set essentially looks to expand on the 2009 compilation of the same name released on Carlos Giffoni's No Fun Productions label, which featured tracks from three of Lopatin's early LPs under the Oneohtrix Point Never moniker scattered across two CDs along with tracks from various rare and out of print CDr and cassette releases.

This updated and expanded edition now comes in both 5xLP and triple CD format, presenting Betrayed In The Octagon, Russian Mind and Zones Without People in their original album context and supported by a raft of extra rare and out of print material. Many of the extra tracks that featured on the No Fun Productions release are present but Software have also dug further into the OPN archives to collate material from cassette only releases on NNA Tapes, Utmarken and Catholic Tapes.

News of this deluxe boxset arrives with the following gem of a press release quote from Software: "With Rifts it is possible to zoom out on the OPN project and recognize Lopatin as both an auteur and alchemist; achieving a signature sound while drawing on a buried history of electronic music."

It's the vinyl edition that sounds pretty special to us, with a deluxe slipcase housing each individually jacketed LP and just a one off pressing of 1,000 copies promised by the label. Frustratingly for the hardcore fans, it seems like the triple CD edition of Rifts has a slightly differing tracklist to the vinyl boxset, instead including several tracks from the Instrumental Tourist, which Lopatin recorded with Tim Hecker last year.*

Software will release Rifts by Oneohtrix Point Never on 5xLP and Triple CD formats on November 19.

*OPN confirmed on twitter that this isn't true.

Vinyl Tracklisting:

LP 1: Betrayed In The Octagon

1. Woe Is The Transgression I

2. Behind The Bank

3. Eyeballs

4. Betrayed In The Octagon

5. Woe Is The Transgression II

6. Parallel Minds

7. Laser To Laser

LP 2: Russian Mind

1. Months

2. Physical Memory

3. Grief And Repetition

4. Russian Mind

5. Time Decanted

6. Immanence

LP 3: Zones Without People

1. Computer Vision

2. Format & Journey North

3. Zones Without People

4. Learning To Control Myself

5. Disconnecting Entirely

6. Emil Cioran

7. Hyperdawn

LP 4: Drawn And Quartered

1. Lovergirls Precinct

2. Ships Without Meaning

3. Terminator Lake

4. Transmat Memories

5. A Pact Between Strangers

6. When I Get Back From New York

7. I Know It's Taking Pictures From Another Plane (Inside Your Sun)

LP 5: The Fall Into Time

1. Blue Drive

2. The Trouble With Being Born

3. Sand Partina

4. Melancholy Descriptions Of Simple 3D Environments

5. Memory Vague

6. KGB Nights

CD tracklisting:

CD Disc 1: Betrayed In The Octagon

1. Woe Is The Transgression

2. Behind The Bank

3. Eyeballs

4. Betrayed In The Octagon!

5. Woe Is The Transgression II

6. Parallel Minds

7. GRM Blues II

8. Racist Drone

9. Grey Geisha

10. Instrumental Tourist

11. Ritual For Consumption

12. Vaccination No 2

CD Disc 2: Zones Without People

1. Computer Vision

2. Format & Journey North

3. Zones Without People

4. Learning To Control Myself

5. Disconnecting Entirely

6. Emil Cioran!

7. Hyperdawn

8. Lovergirls Precinct

9. I Know It's Taking Pictures From Another Plane (Inside Your Sun)

10. Blue Drive

11. The Trouble With Being Born

12. Sand Partina

CD Disc 3: Russian Mind

1. Months

2. Physical Memory

3. Grief And Repetition

4. Russian Mind

5. Time Decanted

6. Immanence

7. Melancholy Descriptions Of Simple 3D Environments

8. Memory Vague

9. KGB Nights

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a rerelease of a rerelease compilation that came out a couple years ago. neat.

yeah I'll just keep listening to mp3s and opt out of this opportunity to flex my immense spending power, thank you very much

Guest bitroast

Strange there's 'Blue Drive' but no 'Gray-Level Objects Describing Bio Layers'.

Those two tracks are some of my favourites.

Rifts has already been re-pressed at least once. Interesting. Since the CD tracklisting is identical to the LP, I guess I'll pass. Maybe I'll purchase the last LP digitally if that becomes available.

Huh. I wonder what the packaging will be like. And the artwork will be different? I kind of like the old packaging and art (big thick fuckoff cardboard with that Konx graphic on the outside and psych weird sunset shit on the inner).

I actually read the website and now understand more the answers to my previous questions. The inclusion of the artwork from the original EPs makes sense; I sort of forgot about that consideration when previously posting.

So, looks great, and affordable (on CD anyhow). I have the original version of Rifts but I'm psyched to pick this one up too.

-real fan

but anyhow I got to say that these albums are really fantastic, music that one can really get lost and travel in.

edit: that doesn't actually make sense. you don't get lost and travel. you travel and then take a wrong turn at albuquerque and then you're lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrWHXL065g

whatever

Guest bitroast

No you're absolutely right. It's almost asif there's binaural beats or something in these songs that can just instantly put you in another, dreamlike state. Opn has def' become one of my favourite artists of recent years and its mostly due to these albums(or, the 2cd complication that was released earlier).

Guest bitroast

russian mind and betrayed in the octagon were going for $100+ on discogs so this does make sense. plus i like these more as the original sequenced albums plus extras. not just a mix up of all of them on 2 CDs.

$58 is a steal too... est. shipping to new zealand though... $54.

might have to see if i can get it cheaper somewhere else (or at least somewhere else where i can get a few more things too). really hope it doesn't sell out.

Thinking along thes lines too. I want it but its so expensive with postage included.

Will this be available in stores?

Guest jasondonervan

the shipping is really ridicolous. To Germany it's more expensive than the 5xLP itself.

Likewise to the UK, although that was with UPS. I bit the bullet, early Christmas present!

Archived