IGNORED

William Basinski - Nocturnes

Redruth

is this the one that's going to have the cover with hebrew letters over a pic showing the nuclear bomb dropped on Israel by Iran?

just wndering

Godspeed You! Black Emperor already did it, pretty much.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this the one that's going to have the cover with hebrew letters over a pic showing the nuclear bomb dropped on Israel by Iran?

just wndering

Pls refer to 'Disintegration Loops' reissue topic for source of inside-joke.

just wndering

I think that was a quote from some dude with a 'tache.

just wndering

Pls refer to 'Disintegration Loops' reissue topic for source of inside-joke.

I got it. I was making a joke of my own.

• 1 month later...

I wish he'd bung the full version of this on a release (maybe in 20 years when the loop wears out) -

It's just fantastic isn't it? Basinski's fascination with entropy still at work in the video - ants taking care of tossed candy.

Nope, completely priced itself out of viability. I'd still like to know how they put some of the dlps (eg the >60 min dlp1.1) onto vinyl as isn't there a maximum length you can have before the vinyl ends up sounding god awful

EDIT: Oh boy just seen on discogs that the aforementioned track is split over three sides - doesn't that sort of highlight that maybe vinyl isn't the correct format for these tracks to be put onto

Did anyone on here ever pick up the lavish (and expensive) Disintegration Loops Vinyl Box?

I did.

Nope, completely priced itself out of viability. I'd still like to know how they put some of the dlps (eg the >60 min dlp1.1) onto vinyl as isn't there a maximum length you can have before the vinyl ends up sounding god awful

It has fades, and it works pretty well considering. I think the pressings are pretty good too, not heavyweight vinyl mind you.

I thought about getting this. It's (only) £220 in Japan.

One thing I've never been too keen on is the whole 9-11 as art thing. Too uncomfortable. It always reminds me of that Thomas Hoepker photo that caused so much controversy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/02/911-photo-thomas-hoepker-meaning

I thought about getting this. It's (only) £220 in Japan.

One thing I've never been too keen on is the whole 9-11 as art thing. Too uncomfortable. It always reminds me of that Thomas Hoepker photo that caused so much controversy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/02/911-photo-thomas-hoepker-meaning

I paid £200 for mine. I'm not keen on the imagery either, but the music itself is fantastic, so I'm able to ignore the association.

I saw him play live a couple of weeks back. Some new music from Nocturne (which I didn't like), plus some older material. Unfortunately the "arty" b/w video loop (of the moon seen through clouds) that was projected behind him seemed like last minute tacked on fluff (oh dear, I'm playing an art space, better be arty), and totally prevented me from immersing myself in the music. I had to leave halfway through the show, irritated. Also, the 9/11 thing is far fetched and speculative, as if his music is filled with the gravity and meaning of something that happened to occur at the same time he was working on it. Millions of people were doing something in New York that day, and those acts are not symbols of the tragedy.

lol @ leaving a concert b/c the visuals were too "arty."

i know we have another thread for this but fuck me are people sensitive about the 9/11 thing. people are very defensive about that shit. artists write/paint/compose etc using tragic themes of their time. what's the big deal? are we also going to cry about picasso "exploiting the tragedy"of the spanish civil war when he painted guernica?

tbh, i'm especially confused about the basinski thing in this context since he's a harmless enough underground musician. there are far worse and more mainstream exploitations of 9/11 from "zero dark thirty" to the utterly tasteless jonathan safran foer book which concludes with a flip-book of some one jumping out of one of the towers -- in fucking reverse no less.

i know we have another thread for this but fuck me are people sensitive about the 9/11 thing. people are very defensive about that shit. artists write/paint/compose etc using tragic themes of their time. what's the big deal? are we going also going to cry about picasso "exploiting the tragedy"of the spanish civil war when he painted guernica?

tbh, i'm especially confused about the basinski thing in this context since he's a harmless enough underground musician. there are far worse and more mainstream exploitations of 9/11 from "zero dark thirty" to the utterly tasteless jonathan safran foer book which concludes with a flip-book of some one jumping out of one of the towers -- in fucking reverse no less. and that shit is one of the most successful literary works to come out in a long time.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. DL is a mild example of the 9-11 art thing. It's just that it seems a bit contrived.

Of course, any artist should be free to exploit stuff. I wouldn't want it any other way.

But that's not to say that I personally like it.

They were plain shitty, not too "arty". And they had nothing to do with the music at all. On the contrary, they were getting in the way of the minimal music.

i know we have another thread for this but fuck me are people sensitive about the 9/11 thing. people are very defensive about that shit. artists write/paint/compose etc using tragic themes of their time. what's the big deal? are we also going to cry about picasso "exploiting the tragedy"of the spanish civil war when he painted guernica?

I'm not sensitive to difficult subjects at all. It's just that Basinski comes across as someone very self conscious and someone who's staging himself very particularly. And when the visuals seemed so tacked on and irrelevant to the music/show, the whole gig just fell apart like a house of cards. Which subsequently made me think that the 9/11 thing is a staged shtick, too. Ie speculative.

that's weird. he always struck me as a completely laid back individual.

basically an unrelated anecdote: the other night Lady Alcofribas and i saw kurt vile and as we were leaving we walked past this angry guy who said "that wasn't even a fucking encore! he was only off the stage for like 15 seconds!" that got a lol out of me.

I never really paid attention to the whole 9/11 thing. I just really like the music. I'm weird like that.

Yeah, I just wanna experience the music. But the 9/11 thing was very dominant in the context of this show. A couple of newspapers wrote articles in advance of the show with that angle. The text that was handed out at the actual show had that 9/11 background story prominently included. So the whole setup was flawed. I'm not even sure he played any music from Disintegration Loops. Weird and unnecessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived