IGNORED

Ubuntu + FL Studio

Soloman Tump

Anyone here run FLStudio through Ubuntu?

I am planning on switching my laptop from Windows Vista to Ubuntu. Can't afford a new laptop right now but I want to use what I have as a "music only" machine.

I have previous experience of ubuntu so shouldn't be a problem getting that installed and setup. Only thing is I have read about a few problems with vst plug-ins not running through ubuntu, although this appears to be fixed in newer ubuntu releases.

Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated!

Cheers

Is there a reason it has to be Ubuntu - could you not just have a machine running just windows (possibly one of those stripped down/bare bones builds like vLite) and your music software to make life easier ?

I'd second having a windows only computer, or dual boot with ubuntu and windows. I tried making music on ubuntu with little avail, ran into issues running reaper and I was too lazy to try playing around with ubuntu's free software. I love that OS for day-to-day stuff though.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, josh. I used to use it at work and at home years ago. Been years since I actually spent any time using linux on a machine though. For production it just gets in the way a lot of the time. :/

Guest Intelligent dodgem music

Yeah XP does seem preferable to Vista in my opinion - Look for 'XP Stripped to the Bone Edition' for a super speedy distribution of it.

Did you actually try that? I can't seem to find some "official" site or torrent for this...

Archived