IGNORED

Favorite movies about animals? (DOG movies, CAT movies etc)

vamos scorcho

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

space buddies

snow buddies

spooky buddies

santa buddies

air bud

air bud: world pup

air bud: seventh inning feth

air bud: spikes back

air bud: golden retriever

air buddies

yes

Air%20Bud%205.jpg

3653-backdrop.jpg

edit:

i want to die

buddhatalk.jpg

Milo & Otis was really amusing when I was 8 years old and couldn't differentiate between filmed fiction and animated fiction (it's all just a movie, right mom?), but it's impossible to watch it now without concluding that the movie is pretty much a fucking animal snuff film with extremely careful cutting away before, eg, a fucking bear kills a dog or a snake kills a cat or... well, you pretty much see the filmmaker throwing a terrified kitten off a goddamn cliff and another goddamn kitten actor taking its place after the first one is shown drowning.

But surely Japan of all places would ensure that no animals were harmed merely to amuse --oh, shit.

Edit: The Bear, on the other hand, is actually pretty harrowing, but clearly made with a great deal of caution and respect (and training, and animatronics, and supervision). It's a beautiful movie and it's very emotionally involving without pandering in the style of M&O.

Yeah I loved M+O as a child. The music and everything gives it this really, really weird vibe.

might be . . . "funny" . . . to overlay a bunch of cats getting killed over that song

Anyway, I seriously still love the movie. I'm not even kidding. I'm going to show it to my kids someday, because no matter what, it's still a good work of art. Even if it's really fucked up... but frankly, and saying this as a vegan, I don't think animals are that important. That's what made me make this thread, because I think it's weird how movies portray animals.

"What haunts me, is that in all the faces of all the bears that Treadwell ever filmed, I discover no kinship, no understanding, no mercy. I see only the overwhelming indifference of nature. To me, there is no such thing as a secret world of the bears. And this blank stare speaks only of a half-bored interest in food. But for Timothy Treadwell, this bear was a friend, a savior."

dammit gmanyo, I know you love all things camp but there has to be a limit, I say!

yeah if i actually tried to watch air bud id probably just get really angry and start throwing shit

also i saw cats vs dogs in theaters as a kid thank god i cant remember it

hey I just searched that Milo and Otis movie and, damn, looks pretty great! and that soundtrack, opening theme made my cry :( thanks guys

yup. It's a masterpiece if you watch it as a movie where there is 1 cat that survives from beginning to end (as a kid).

That said, there is pretty strong evidence that animals were at least harmed during filming. Some claim many cats died during the movie, however I think this is BS. A cat is thrown (in the movie he jumps) from a cliff and people say he died in that jump. And that that part was filmed repeatedly. So it is highly likely that a cat could die from that and another scene or two.

Still, there is no confirmation at all in existence that says whether or not this really happened.

There is however very clear evidence that cats were at least put into pain, such as in a fight between a cat and a crab.

ALL THAT SAID:

When I hear people hyping against this film I'm just like, yo... animals aren't that important. They're not even sentient. They have no conscious awareness. There's much better stuff to rail against with animals. Dogs eat rabbits. Cats kill things for fun. Animals are fucking animals man, yeah, we shouldn't cause unnecessary pain to any creature, but at the same time there is a tone of voice that starts to become overly impassioned on the issue. It isn't a question of the pain in the animal, it's a question of the way a person thinks about animals. An animal is not even close to a human, completely irrelevant to our own awareness. To project our own experience of pain and life onto an animal is a serious error, by my estimate. Still, I agree that it's fucked up that animal cruelty exists and it does frankly taint the movie for me. It would be so much better if it wasn't true. And I can never return to a comfortable illusion, which is very sad.

I just wish people would respect the experience I had seeing the movie as a kid, because it really is an incredible film, and I'm not the only one who feels it carried a minor spiritual significance.

I also discovered today that Milo+Otis was originally an art/poetic film for adults that was converted to a kids movie for Hollywood by adding scenes and narration. Strangely enough I think the narration in said movie has been taken out of this clip.

WTF my version of Milo&Otis clearly didn't have that kind of narration. There's not that cheesy music and it's the original Sakamoto soundtrack. Plus it has poems in it, poems! You should check out this version instead of that USA children's version.

Anyway... Herzog bitches :

grizzly_man_poster.jpg

With bonus Vangelis :

affiche-Antarctica-Nankyoku-monogatari-1983-1.jpg

Although not a movie.

Fox-animals-of-farthing-wood-11123004-425-333.jpg

And while we're on this subject, I was told about a film that was about a man and a dog which used to follow him to his train on his way to work. Then the man died and the dog kept sitting there waiting for him. What was this film called? It may have had Richard Gere?

Archived