IGNORED

School Shooting in Connecticut

vamos scorcho

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he's saying as people we make a huge deal out of death because it marks the end of our individual existence, whereas in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

Maybe.

you mean in a nihilistical sense? lol tell it to the grieving parents.

Hey I'm just guessing!

He's right. But if you take that thought process to the logical extreme might as well kill everyone, means nothing.

I wish we had guns in the UK.

lol at that kid taking a gun into school and pointing it at some girls sahying he would kill them

also lol at people saying teachers should be armed, seriouslY? i thought the US hated teachers (overpaid incompetant union types etc) and thehy want to make them security guards and shit? surely ud have to pay them extra and trust them to be armed in a class full of kids

I think he's saying as people we make a huge deal out of death because it marks the end of our individual existence, whereas in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.

Maybe.

you mean in a nihilistical sense? lol tell it to the grieving parents.

Hey I'm just guessing!

He's right. But if you take that thought process to the logical extreme might as well kill everyone, means nothing.

I wish we had guns in the UK.

or at least kill yourself. not you obviously. him. hypothetically. in jest.

if it's more of an existential statement then there should be no grand scheme of things, individual existence is all there is, no?

that's me all out of armchair philosophy.

You can be an existentialist who thinks all of these at the same time:

(a) There is no purpose or meaning 'built in' or 'pre-given' to human life, in that sense of 'the grand scheme of things.'

(b) Human life can have meaning.

© The meaning of human life is not solely up to, or only applicable to, the individual.

edit: lol @ copyright symbol

Hey did you finally succeed in scaring members away with a different opinion? Good for you and your likeminded totalitarian people.

Was this directed at me? lol @ "totalitarian". I wasn't trying to scare him off, just have a good old fashioned political argument.

Umm..I have to agree that when it comes to the "GB" section a lot of people are complete dickheads and won't even attempt to understand other people's opinions let alone respect their right to have a differing one. I actually asked Joyrex to remove my account for the same reason a while ago, but he didn't and I'm glad because I use it a great deal for music and things like that.

You can be an existentialist who thinks all of these at the same time:

(a) There is no purpose or meaning 'built in' or 'pre-given' to human life, in that sense of 'the grand scheme of things.'

(b) Human life can have meaning.

© The meaning of human life is not solely up to, or only applicable to, the individual.

edit: lol @ copyright symbol

i was hoping you'd come along and clean up after me.

so hot right now.

The thing is that violence is everywhere, as evidenced by this thread. As long as people can't exchange different ideas without being honest with themselves and how little they actually know and without having an open mind people will be getting killed. The problem imo is that everyone is so cheesed and self righteous all the time because they really have no idea what the fuck is going on so they adopt ideals to give themselves a sense of identity and worth. Really no one is an expert on much of anything and everyone just wants to be heard and feel that they have some idea of what is right so that they can move through life without constantly having to ask themselves 'holy fuck what is happening?'.

Violence is a way for people to express themselves and it is especially affirming because it is so simple and appears to be so final. It doesn't really matter if it is a guy capping (shooting) people all over the place or if it is people getting up in each others faces on the internet, it's the same thing. The difference is that death appears to be more of a big deal than it actually is because we think life is more of a big deal than it actually is.

i agree with you except for your last point about death. it's a huge deal. it's a unique conscious experience being wiped out. in this universe, it will never exist again once it's gone. people even put diminished value on life and death in the majority of human civilization because of ideas like the afterlife and reincarnation.

Hey did you finally succeed in scaring members away with a different opinion? Good for you and your likeminded totalitarian people.

Was this directed at me? lol @ "totalitarian". I wasn't trying to scare him off, just have a good old fashioned political argument.

Not specifically. It was more at the crew which got SickoRandy to log off. To be honest though, I only vaguely scroll through this thread. I rarely bullshit specific people. If I would, it'd be a bit more explicit, I hope.

The thing is that violence is everywhere, as evidenced by this thread. As long as people can't exchange different ideas without being honest with themselves and how little they actually know and without having an open mind people will be getting killed. The problem imo is that everyone is so cheesed and self righteous all the time because they really have no idea what the fuck is going on so they adopt ideals to give themselves a sense of identity and worth. Really no one is an expert on much of anything and everyone just wants to be heard and feel that they have some idea of what is right so that they can move through life without constantly having to ask themselves 'holy fuck what is happening?'.

Violence is a way for people to express themselves and it is especially affirming because it is so simple and appears to be so final. It doesn't really matter if it is a guy capping (shooting) people all over the place or if it is people getting up in each others faces on the internet, it's the same thing. The difference is that death appears to be more of a big deal than it actually is because we think life is more of a big deal than it actually is.

i agree with you except for your last point about death. it's a huge deal. it's a unique conscious experience being wiped out. in this universe, it will never exist again once it's gone. people even put diminished value on life and death in the majority of human civilization because of ideas like the afterlife and reincarnation.

Excellent posts - Hoodie you managed to succinctly express views on life similar to mine, and likewise why I've become so irreligious. On top of the ideas of afterlife an reincarnation people is the concept of hell, which I'll be completely honest, it's events like this one where even I think "I wish hell exists for bastards like this." I suppose the same anguish prompts people to simply call the shooter, or his motivations, "pure evil" instead of specifically concluding he was mentally ill or a psychopath who acted violently.

I'm not saying this as an atheist, I'm actually quite open and curious about a spiritual realm and even reincarnation to a degree, but I telling myself or going along with any serious idea that these events are somehow cosmically justified in a dimension we can't prove exists is too self-defeating and selfish for us to maintain as a society. We can't be tempted to understate or justify death and killing at all.

Archived