IGNORED

Dolphin Carries Around Dead Calf

Joyrex

It's well documented that elephants have a quiet and distinct ritual around death of their peers in which they investigate bones and seeminly reflect on the site, even around the remains they come across of those unrelated to them.

Perhaps dolphins do similar behaviors as another highly intelligent mammal species and this a rare occasion if which it's been documented on camera.

i was gonna post the obligatory gif of Flep the dolphin from the Exai thread, but google images punished me for trying to be clever. i don't suggest recreating that search.

Same behaviour has been seen in some primate species. Gorilla mothers often carry around the body of the deceased child for days.

I guess it happens because they are unwilling to accept the situation? Or maybe it is mourning like some humans feel like they need to mourn in the presence of the corpse. Seems a bit abstract for an animal though.

Same behaviour has been seen in some primate species. Gorilla mothers often carry around the body of the deceased child for days.

I guess it happens because they are unwilling to accept the situation? Or maybe it is mourning like some humans feel like they need to mourn in the presence of the corpse. Seems a bit abstract for an animal though.

great apes, elephants and dolphins are all highly social creatures, so i think this factors into it somewhat. dolphins have even shown evidence of culture (one pod will have certain rituals that another does not). it's all quite fascinating.

Interspecies rituals are really incredible. I'm most amazed the mother cow would carry her calf down to the seashore for the dolphin to give it a sea burial.

ZOLE

Archived