IGNORED

What's so great about Seinfeld?

MadameChaos

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to learn this skill

Kramer's physical comedy is absolutely brilliant at times.

You just illustrated my point. This guy is hilarious, the rest of the show is pure dullness.

Coming from someone who finds 9gag and internet humour funny..

This show gave me & my friends so many hearty lols through our teen years. It's a bit dated now, but looking through some Youtube clips just now for this post/thread reminded me of its greatness.

To understand why Seinfeld is so beloved, you have to understand that it was coming on the heels of popular sitcoms being like this:

So to go from that, to this:

...was quite the shake-up. And while it definitely seems dated & sitcommy compared to something like Arrested Development or the modern anti-comedy mindfucks of Abso-lutely, anyone who claims it's not funny at all likely wasn't watching the mid or later seasons.

So many memorable episodes... Kenny Rogers' chicken, when Kramer finds the Merv Griffin set, the germaphobe ep, the fur coat, George stealing things to guarantee a second date, when the gang was drugging Jerry's gf to play with her toy collection while she was passed out... I could easily write a few paragraphs just mentioning which episodes were great. The supporting characters were all brilliant (Putty, Newman, the street toughs), and the way they would wrap up several seemingly disparate stories by having them all come to a head in one location/scenario was so effectively hilarious it's pretty much become a sitcom staple ever since then.

That's kind of the point, though. The show invented the idea of laughing at sociopaths being in bad situations of their own making that rarely get resolved due to their character flaws, instead of laughing at relatable/lovable characters being put in awkward situations that ultimately work out fine in the end.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

you probably won't like seinfeld if youre not jewish or didn't grow up in new york or know people who fit both or either of those qualifiers.

elaine is one of the greatest tv characters of all time

i lose it every time she dances. I'm good friends with her son actually and she's just as funny in person as she is in the show

elaine-dance-o.gif

the way they would wrap up several seemingly disparate stories by having them all come to a head in one location/scenario was so effectively.

Yeah this, so damn satisfying.

The writing was a big influence on Graham Linehan and you can see it in the plot structuring of Father Ted, early Black Books and The IT Crowd.

Guest bitroast

i'm sorry, i'm stupid and i like stupid things.

tumblr_mk8fejYjCk1s99m4bo1_400.giftumblr_n0ao23cgAF1rpc5kho1_400.gif

It's one thing to not like Seinfeld and another to make a thread so you can shit on Seinfeld though

and another again to bump the year old thread to continue shitting on Seinfeld.

the shows pretty much the best sitcom ever.

I would probably normally just say it's my favourite sitcom ever, but it's the show that everyone (mostly everyone) seems to think is their favourite sitcom ever. so it's regarded as the best sitcom ever. and shit. it's fucking Seinfeld. it's legit the best sitcom ever, no doubt about it.

you can't even explain whats so funny about it. I mean, you could.. but watching the show should be straightforward enough in answering the question "what's the deal with Seinfeld?"

you probably won't like seinfeld if youre not jewish or didn't grow up in new york or know people who fit both or either of those qualifiers.

I fit into none of those categories but unabashedly love Seinfeld no matter. It's just great television; about as perfect of a sitcom as is possible, I'd say.

But of course it's not for everyone. If you don't like it, sucks to be you. :cry:

this show is bigger than you. Just submit to it and be engulfed in lols. And don't let something like being British stop you. It's universal spiritual shit

Archived