IGNORED

Musical Pet Peeves

LimpyLoo

Guest Frankie5fingers

dont comment saying its wrong but instead make a video response and title it "The Right Way to do so-and-so."

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not really a "pet peeve" but a few years ago I noticed that a lot of british vocalists will have an "American" way of pronouncing things. I wondered why more American artists don't put on a "British" accent when singing. (Maybe really early Green Day sort of did this?)

Conversely british vocalists the over-emphasise their Britishness by completely going over the top with their pronunciations eg (warning Kate Nash ahead....)

Adam Buxton's take on what every song of hers sounds like -

You should comment and tell them everything they did wrong and then start your own tutorial video series.

Or maybe I'll just start keeping my thoughts to myself.

Not really a pet peeve, but more of a phenomenon: I noticed that most singers whose native language isn't english, sing english way better than when they speak it. I remember being dragged to a Nightwish concert at a festival years ago. After the first song, the singer said: "Good-a eev-a ning-a Bel-dzeejoom" (good evening belgium), which was quite a contrast to her english when sung.

Ok, maybe a little pet peeve, because if she sung in her normal shitty accent I might have been entertained a bit.

Guest tht tne

i really hate in autechre's music where they have like vocal snippets or instruments that sound like vocals, that they feel they have to repeat for the entirey of the fucking song and they sound annoying

I hate it when you hear how hyped a band is, so you decide to check out their albums to see if you're missing anything. So you listen, and it's the musical equivalent of a sad man wearing khakis and a white t-shirt eating a plain piece of toast.

Nah. I'm talking about a well established indie rock band whose popularity has been on the rise in the past 5 years. I mean they're not terrible, just plain toast.

^^ My girlfriend just read that over my shoulder and said "I bet it's The National".

Tell us!

She wins the prize!

When you hear the beat go quarter, quarter, eight eight eight eighth, then a bunch of 16ths. You've definitely heard it before, cant describe it too well

...then 32nds then 64ths then a granular roll and then the beat comes back in?

On the dancefloor I suppose it can be fun. At least looks like people are enjoying that:

http://youtu.be/c1Z0DTZB8qU?t=17m17s

When you hear the beat go quarter, quarter, eight eight eight eighth, then a bunch of 16ths. You've definitely heard it before, cant describe it too well

...then 32nds then 64ths then a granular roll and then the beat comes back in?

On the dancefloor I suppose it can be fun. At least looks like people are enjoying that:

http://youtu.be/c1Z0DTZB8qU?t=17m17s

That poor guy looked like he was trying to give birth to a demon with his mouth.

What's wrong with a good old cheesy snare rush?

snare rushes are aiight. I think they mean more of the pop music formula. Sirens and noise filters with a snare/bass drum going quarter, eighth, sixteenth, 32nds ect., then the drop, Then the compression kicks in a you hear a whiny sawtooth synth and equally as predictable pop vocals to a 4 on teh floor.

You should comment and tell them everything they did wrong and then start your own tutorial video series.

What are you getting at m8?

What are you getting at m8?

I thought you were taking the piss out of me for the Dilla thread. Which is the sorta stuff that makes me want to stop sharing my thoughts on music-making.

I'm just ocd about the quality of information that's passed around. I was fortunate to have lots of amazing teachers and I'd be nowhere without them.

So anytime I see what I percieve as bad teaching it bothers me because I think it can actually do more harm than good. And it's not really an ego thing, it's more that I feel that the information that I was taught is of higher quality than the information that is being handed out.

Like with drumming technique. Sometimes I see someone teaching bad technique that will eventually give the student carpal tunnel or back problems or other problems, and it's actually worse than no information at all.

And really I only know what I know, and I don't have this ocd response when I don't have better information than the person giving the lesson/tutorial (which is most of the time).

You are doing the world a disservice when you don't share what you know especially when they are being given misinformation.

No piss being taken.

You are doing the world a disservice when you don't share what you know especially when they are being given misinformation.

No piss being taken.

alright cheers mate

Archived