IGNORED

Musical Pet Peeves

LimpyLoo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In electronic music: fingersnaps and those weird short vocal samples dubsteps people use. Oh and that sample ceephax used in Life Funk, i hate that.

I also hate children choirs in guitar oriented music (in all music really)

When you hear the beat go quarter, quarter, eight eight eight eighth, then a bunch of 16ths. You've definitely heard it before, cant describe it too well

...then 32nds then 64ths then a granular roll and then the beat comes back in?

And what Life Funk sample might that be gentlemens? I can spot two, the classic think break. you must hate all of squarepusher's music if you really hate that. the other one is the voice sample i'm not that fond of.

Guest RadarJammer

sampled phrases of talking. can't fucking stand it. ruins about a billion songs for me.

Oh and that sample ceephax used in Life Funk, i hate that.

aw,

?

that's a classic!

Gotta go with luke on this one, JBs just too funky. I'd say the far more egregious offense is lazy/uncreative sampling (think Seandiddy Puffycombs); especially so when it becomes meta-sampling, like when missy elliot creates some radio-friendly cheese out of planet rock ffs.

When you hear the beat go quarter, quarter, eight eight eight eighth, then a bunch of 16ths. You've definitely heard it before, cant describe it too well

This is actually hard-coded into the DNA base pairs of Pauly D's genome

Ya, exactly. Usually used with the highhat in like trap music or other mainstream music.

Guest Frankie5fingers

women singers. i dont know what it is but i cant stand it when a women sings. they all sound the same to me. ive found maybe 1 or 2 women singers that i like.

i also hate Beatles covers.

I've always wondered why many electronic musicians feel the need to ruin something pretty with super annoying sounds. For example:

3:10 with that obnoxious acid line. Why was that needed!?

AFX does that a lot too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5Gl0Je-4o

That hihat...Why?

At 0:25. Pretty much ruins the entire track with this crap.

I could go on. AE does it too in a lot of stuff. Like that one from Exai with the really high pitched hihat. Squarepusher often adds these loud as shit SCREEECH sounds in his stuff, that adds NOTHING to the track.

Is it to appear edgy or something? Like "Man this is too pretty, better add something really annoying to really test the listerner's idm-level!!11" What's their deal? And does anyone actually enjoy that bullcrap?

women singers. i dont know what it is but i cant stand it when a women sings. they all sound the same to me. ive found maybe 1 or 2 women singers that i like.

Terrible singing is a rampant problem not bound by any gender. The trends vary though - like Danny mentioned there's a recent trend of exaggerate vibrato and screaming passing as singing on things like American Idol and other music contest shows. A lot of club and EDM hit tracks use godawful soulless female voiceovers saying things with what some doucebag deems "sexy" but really just sounds like:

http://youtu.be/pJTrD3R5cj0

When a modern singer, mostly female, sings something like the Star Spangled Banner and throws note bends and flares EVERYWHERE.

Seriously, a lot of very successul and acclaimed singers, especially "Diva" ones, can't hold a fucking note. I can't really listen to Mary J. Blidge for that reason. And while I like some Alicia Keys songs, this one is fucking terrible:

Personally though, I hear so many fucking bad male rock singers that I actually wish more there were more female vocalists beyond twee indie bands and electropop groups. Too many self-centered assholes want to be rockstars I suppose, it's been a perennial annoyance: The Strokes (Julian Casablancas), Stone Temple Pilots (Scott Weiland), most post-grunge lead singers, every fucking mediocre pop-punk band from the late 90s/00s. Or that annoying hit song "Tonight" or whatever the fuck by the band .fun - you can hear that guy unable to hit notes and yet they recorded it anyway. Lameass screaming = singing apparently. Note the featured female vocalist hardly fucking sings at all...

On the other hand some of the most underrated vocalists are often people who consider themselves more talented at writing songs or playing instruments. Ego seems to make up for shitting vocals and audiences don't seem to mind. Since males seemingly dominate the music industry they also seem to be more shitty male singers. I was looking at the ACL Music Festival lineup for this year and noticed Grimes was the first female listed and she's the 23rd person on there from the top. I really wish more female singers and musicians would get more acclaim and greater popularity overall.

"La la la" or "na na na" as lyrics, strikes me as lazy as annoying. Like did you run out of pen space or something?

House music with vocals about detroit and/or mentioning "deep". That shit is played out.

I'm sure there's more but those two are the first that come to mind.

mary-ooh1.gif

"La la la" or "na na na" as lyrics, strikes me as lazy as annoying. Like did you run out of pen space or something?

I think in the right hands it can be good.

It's pretty much a staple of shoegaze.

Archived