IGNORED

Musical Pet Peeves

LimpyLoo

this whole thread is a pet peeve in itself, just look at the comments, try to think they're serious, and try not to laugh with scorn...

Can you elaborate?

GOBLIN RULEZ

well, what i mean is that they sound square and picky, like when you're 12 and you love guns n roses and every time you ear a synth in a track you call it tecnho...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this whole thread is a pet peeve in itself, just look at the comments, try to think they're serious, and try not to laugh with scorn...

Can you elaborate?

GOBLIN RULEZ

well, what i mean is that they sound square and picky, like when you're 12 and you love guns n roses and every time you ear a synth in a track you call it tecnho...

Goblin does indeed rulez.

But in the future I'll try to be more jaded and cynical and get annoyed at people who enjoying thing with such naive idiotic abandon.

• 1 month later...

go on, give us a cymbal rush rush :biggrin:

with some excepsions i can't stand any band that ends a song with bam baam baaam baaaaaaaam, then the guitarist gives a wank solo and the drummer hits his toms an cymbals like a friggin morron like they are some noise experts, fuck that shit!

Hmmm these days I'm just not into maudlin or explicitly depressing music. I mean I actually like Elliott Smith and I think he's penned some of the finest tunes I've heard from a singer/songwriter but I guess I just don't have time to relate to his bleak worldview. I think if I listened to his lyrics on a bad day, I'd feel worse. One time I was tripping with my friends when I blacked out and fell out of my chair with my eyes wide open the whole time. When I came to a few seconds later, I felt terrible. Later on during a car ride my friend puts on Elliott Smith and I'm like "Dude, are you FUCKING SERIOUS"

Guest 20XX

I've always wondered why many electronic musicians feel the need to ruin something pretty with super annoying sounds.

This. ComfyCozy would be an amazing track without that BING that comes in at like 1:24 and remains repeating throughout

Yeah, it sounds like shit. The Police did it on one song in the 70s; I can't remember which song but that's the earliest example I've heard. It annoys the fuck out of me, to be honest.

I hate when bands have to prove that they've recorded to tape by using that "started the tape while playing guitar" sound, ie. the beginning of this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjhCbsrNpXw

It's so fucking common in shoegaze, WHY?!

Thats weird, i dont think i've ever heard that sound before. Why does that happen?

Hmmm these days I'm just not into maudlin or explicitly depressing music. I mean I actually like Elliott Smith and I think he's penned some of the finest tunes I've heard from a singer/songwriter but I guess I just don't have time to relate to his bleak worldview. I think if I listened to his lyrics on a bad day, I'd feel worse. One time I was tripping with my friends when I blacked out and fell out of my chair with my eyes wide open the whole time. When I came to a few seconds later, I felt terrible. Later on during a car ride my friend puts on Elliott Smith and I'm like "Dude, are you FUCKING SERIOUS"

No doubt about it Elliot Smith is the most depressing shit I've ever heard in my life, and refraining from naming names I like what would be classed as depressing music. When I was travelling in Australia I shared a house for a while with some dude who liked ES. Anytime he put it on, I'd jump in the fucking boat and go to the mainland (I was living on an island) and drink a crate of beer to drown out the fucking dreary noise playing a few miles away.

I hate when bands have to prove that they've recorded to tape by using that "started the tape while playing guitar" sound, ie. the beginning of this track:

Thats weird, i dont think i've ever heard that sound before. Why does that happen?

There's a song (not on YT) by Scottish rock duo Sluts of Trust that had that exact same sound. Interpol's sound "Say Hello To The Angels" has a noise that's similar (def not tape start though) and it always annoys me.

I prefer the record wind-up noise (as in the track below) or the "tape stop" effects, though those are overused too. I dunno, as much as like wow and flutter and tape artifacts in certain music, it's usually too gimmicky when it's out of place in an otherwise well recorded song.

It's the sound of the tape starting to spin while recording; it takes a fraction of a second to get to the right speed so when it's played back (starting the tape from before the original record start point) it has that 'zappy' sound. Someone else might be able to explain better!

There's a song (not on YT) by Scottish rock duo Sluts of Trust that had that exact same sound. Interpol's sound "Say Hello To The Angels" has a noise that's similar (def not tape start though) and it always annoys me.

I prefer the record wind-up noise (as in the track below) or the "tape stop" effects, though those are overused too. I dunno, as much as like wow and flutter and tape artifacts in certain music, it's usually too gimmicky when it's out of place in an otherwise well recorded song.

Oh ya, now that i think about it, i remember a sort of similar sound in that song. It might be a synth or sound effect.

acapella covers of pop songs.

Glee was the final nail in the coffin for whatever novelty appeal that had to me, I actually liked the PS22 videos (elementary school kids) and a few other covers. I watched Pitch Perfect and thought it was actually funny (still super predictable) because they spoof those corny as hell male acappella groups

Oh ya, now that i think about it, i remember a sort of similar sound in that song. It might be a synth or sound effect.

Yeah. I bet that initial tape start sound would be cool ironically time-stretch digitally all early 90s d'n'b style.

Those things that were all the rage a little while ago where an over produced 80's epic pop song is covered by a hipster girl who's not quite singing it over a sparse piano/acoustic guitar backing.

See, I think the opposite would be great. I'd love to completely extrapolate some minimal singer-songwriter tunes into bombastic 80s pop. Any suggestions welcome.

Thass a friggin' grate idear!!

Please do this:

Probably one of my favorite smog songs (crie evrytieme).

Please make it as pompous as is humanly possible, in a spandau ballet/duran duran way.

That would be awesome.

See, I think the opposite would be great. I'd love to completely extrapolate some minimal singer-songwriter tunes into bombastic 80s pop. Any suggestions welcome.

Hit up some Simon and GarFUNKel, I can already hear Scarborough Fair with a synth arpeggio in the background.

acapella covers of pop songs.

Those things that were all the rage a little while ago where an over produced 80's epic pop song is covered by a hipster girl who's not quite singing it over a sparse piano/acoustic guitar backing.

I blame Glee.

When you hear the beat go quarter, quarter, eight eight eight eighth, then a bunch of 16ths. You've definitely heard it before, cant describe it too well

...then 32nds then 64ths then a granular roll and then the beat comes back in?

yeah, getting ready for the "big event" that is about to happen... fucking just kill me now :facepalm:

Archived