IGNORED

Weird traditions from your local area

Soloman Tump

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sankt Hans. Where you light a huge bonfire with a witch on top of it.

img_0552.jpg

sankt-hans-events-copenhagen-1.jpg

Probably not exclusive to Denmark, but it's pretty idm.

my first holiday abroad was to denmark and i think we might have done this... do you cook sausages on sticks in the fire?

Damn feltcher, I was thinking of making the same flippin' thread a while ago (not sure why I didn't). You and me man, we on the same page. We tight.

I was thinking about that when a neighbouring town did this again. If you hated hanekap, you're gonna love this. Say hello to ganstrekken, or goose pulling:

4-De-beslissing.jpg

Indrukwekkend-beeld-van-ganstrekken.jpg

ANP-1000_22464503.jpg

1305611315_ganstrekken.jpg

So basically, you ride with a horse to a goose hanging upside down, and the first guy to pull the head off wins. If the pictures weren't obvious enough.

The goose is already dead, mind. But yeah, in ye olde days the goose was alive...

People have shown their contempt at the hanekap thing, but before you point the fingers: Goose pulling was also practiced in England and America => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_pulling

gans+trekken.jpg

I was surprised when I found that out. I had no idea. I thought it was mostly a Belgian thing.

ANP-1000_22464938.jpg

A bonus picture that shows how us Belgians have very little understanding of the concept of political correctness

the winner of the indy 500 always drinks a glass of milk. I guess that's a weird tradition that is exclusive to my home state. In my town there's also a huge bicycle race that is called the little 500. everyone gets really drunk and then the cops arrest a bunch of people. FUN.

gutter-punks-pic.jpg

an east bay Berkeley centric tradition

BYOB1.jpg

the San Francisco 'big wheel' race, to make all the vacuous 30+ functioning alcoholic hipster dot commers feel part of a greater community

folsom4.jpg

my personal favorite local cultural event, the Folsom Street Fair. Where you are guaranteed to see multiple instances of public sex, masturbation and hundreds of bare asses and breasts

Austin has this tradition of "keeping Austin weird" by saying it's the live music capital of the world and unique and full of liberal hippie cowboys and shit but lately this is apparently asserted by destroying all the weird stuff and building condos, and forcing venues to shut down for noise complaints next to said condos, and then building more condos with new "weird" yuppie storms inside, then driving up property values up so much that locals have to move or sell their homes so "weird" transplants from California or wherever the fuck can go to new "weird" bars and food trailers next to their condos...which also have to move because their current food trailer park is going to become another condo. Austin still has cool franchises like the Alamo Drafthouse movie theaters, but not the originals cuz you know, they had to become condos or hotels or shopping centers or whatever the fuck.

south_lamar_shopping_center.jpg

MAKE IT WEIRD 2.0!

south_lamar_development.png

^I'm not bitter but I do find it perplexing. It's just funny that if enough people think Austin is still offbeat and unique and novel the facade appears to maintain itself, when the reality all the new development is just making it look like DFW or Houston or San Antonio.

Back to the topic:

Universal and essentially forced admiration for Leslie Cochran. I didn't quite get it, he was nice but unremarkable IRL. RIP nonetheless...

leslie-1.jpg

Eeyore's Birthday - run of the mill hippie family event with drum circles and random topless chicks.

eeyore-00002.jpg

the winner of the indy 500 always drinks a glass of milk. I guess that's a weird tradition that is exclusive to my home state. In my town there's also a huge bicycle race that is called the little 500. everyone gets really drunk and then the cops arrest a bunch of people. FUN.

lol i love indiana.

cool tune in your sig Limp

oh thanks

I'm having trouble playing my new guitar

It has a Bigsby

I'm finding it really hard to play notes and chords

with hand on the Bigsby arm

so I keep missing strings like a friggin' beginner

also i haven't practiced for like 3 years lol

but I've recently started trying to get my chops back

MAKE IT WEIRD 2.0!

Eeyore's Birthday - run of the mill hippie family event with drum circles and random topless chicks.

eeyore-00002.jpg

my idea of Hell, I can handle a few hippies, a whole forest of them? no thanks.

can you imagine the amount of codshit spoke that day? I wager they are a good to laugh at though. Ahhhhhhh I'm being to vitriolic, chill out Mr Beerwolf.

Guest disparaissant

here in wisconsin our tradition is to drive drunk way too much. that's about all i can think of.

here in wisconsin our tradition is to drive drunk way too much. that's about all i can think of.

that made me laugh. wisconsin sounds like an super place, full of maniacs, drinking moonshine and howling at the moon lol

America has marvellous place names. Seattle, Minnisota, Oregon, Virgina, Atlanta, etc etc etc.

One day I'll go......

In Slovakia on Eastern day, instead of eastern bunnies, men chase girls, pour water on them, and beat them with whips... then girls give men alcohol, food (in families, young boys get cash from their grandmas or mothers) and they drink together and shit...

Archived