IGNORED

So which watmmer's still dislike TCH?

beerwolf

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lumakey

the message board demographic shifted in the time it took for the record to come out. it seems to skew closer to 16-24 now. I don't envy this part of mdg's job, if I can call it that.

There's nothing wrong with you. There are many of us who feel the exact same way. I only hope all the praise this album received hasn't spoiled them for good.

I'd really like to agree with you but i'm not sure I can fit my head that far up my own arse.

The praise was absolutely out of proportion, though. What we got sounds like older tracks dressed in slightly different clothing but much less engaging and a kind of apocalyptic narrative talked about in interviews that is like a necessary supplement to the music and is meant to prop it up and give some context, substance, fill the void. Some flavor or something. Shit's bland. The actual music doesn't have the muscle to carry it. It's kinda limp. You hear a track on here and it's like "yeah... no shit Boards of Canada... people are doing that a lot better." That's why lots of people don't like it.

Australian ARIA Albums Chart 24

Belgian Albums Chart 7

Canadian Albums Chart 33

Danish Albums Chart 23

Dutch Albums Chart 19

Finnish Albums Chart 28

German Albums Chart 52

Irish Albums Chart 7

Japanese Oricon Albums Chart 27

New Zealand RIANZ Albums Chart 26

Norwegian Albums Chart 9

Scottish Albums Chart 4

Swedish Albums Chart 32

Swiss Hitparade Albums Chart 35

UK Albums Chart 7

UK Dance Albums Chart 3

UK Indie Chart 1

US Billboard 200 13

US Billboard Dance/Electronic Albums 2

US Billboard DIgital Albums 8

US Billboard Independent Albums 2

US Billboard Tastemaker Albums 3

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5755773/miley-cyrus-bangerz-debuts-at-no-1-on-billboard-200

Does this mean I should like Miley Cyrus more, too? Lots of people like her apparently.

The social factors surrounding music might have a greater effect on some people than others, but chart positions are irrelevant since I bought the album along with everyone else.

There's nothing wrong with you. There are many of us who feel the exact same way. I only hope all the praise this album received hasn't spoiled them for good.

I'd really like to agree with you but i'm not sure I can fit my head that far up my own arse.

The praise was absolutely out of proportion, though. What we got sounds like older tracks dressed in slightly different clothing but much less engaging and a kind of apocalyptic narrative talked about in interviews that is like a necessary supplement to the music and is meant to prop it up and give some context, substance, fill the void. Some flavor or something. Shit's bland. The actual music doesn't have the muscle to carry it. It's kinda limp. You hear a track on here and it's like "yeah... no shit Boards of Canada... people are doing that a lot better." That's why lots of people don't like it.

Australian ARIA Albums Chart 24

Belgian Albums Chart 7

Canadian Albums Chart 33

Danish Albums Chart 23

Dutch Albums Chart 19

Finnish Albums Chart 28

German Albums Chart 52

Irish Albums Chart 7

Japanese Oricon Albums Chart 27

New Zealand RIANZ Albums Chart 26

Norwegian Albums Chart 9

Scottish Albums Chart 4

Swedish Albums Chart 32

Swiss Hitparade Albums Chart 35

UK Albums Chart 7

UK Dance Albums Chart 3

UK Indie Chart 1

US Billboard 200 13

US Billboard Dance/Electronic Albums 2

US Billboard DIgital Albums 8

US Billboard Independent Albums 2

US Billboard Tastemaker Albums 3

8 years of anticipation, no shit!

Does this mean I should like Miley Cyrus more, too? Lots of people like her apparently.

The social factors surrounding music might have a greater effect on some people than others, but chart positions are irrelevant since I bought the album along with everyone else.

Maybe it's just a way of saying BOC are crying all the way to their fan-sponsored fallout shelter.

I still like TH.

Fantastic album. Still can't believe what a year 2013 has been for music and I hold Tomorrow's Harvest up there as one of my favorite of the year. It's very cinematic and emotive. Pretty damn bleak but the sound palette was chosen very deliberately and not muddled with crazy fx etc.

Might be pretty obvious but Cold Earth sounds pretty damn Soviet Union to me. Great tracks on here.

There are plenty of good moments for sure, but it's just too nice and is afraid to make the first move. Let's just be friends Tomorrow's Harvest. Friendzoned.

Those of you who don't like the album, do you think it's too bleak? Do you think the desolate atmosphere is well-crafted, and just boring, or do you think they failed to capture that mood altogether?

Me personally, I've never bought into this "dark" or "creepy" label that people always put on their music. Sure, Geogaddi got a little bit sinister in certain parts, but not enough to put that type of descriptor on the duo. Now, after 8 years it sounds like they're TRYING to do that.. maybe to satisfy some expectations? It just doesn't sound as genuine or as interesting as Geogaddi, and doesn't get me going like MHTRTC.. it certainly doesn't come close to Hi Scores.

I really don't think they're "trying" to sound "dark". I think this is their legitimate take on current events and the future of our planet and they've translated their take on things into music. I don't think it's "trying" to be anything. It just is?

I don't think this album is dark or creepy. It's just bleak as fuck and definitely speaks to current events.

There are several moments in the album where "bleak as fuck" is not a good thing. But, obviously for many of you it is. I have other problems with the album, but it's art, and I didn't make it. If I don't like it, I should just make the album I want to hear on my own. I'm hoping they have an EP in store for us soon. I have a feeling there might be one. Fingers crossed.

I really don't think they're "trying" to sound "dark". I think this is their legitimate take on current events and the future of our planet and they've translated their take on things into music. I don't think it's "trying" to be anything. It just is?

I don't think this album is dark or creepy. It's just bleak as fuck and definitely speaks to current events.

lol where are you getting all this from?

"but it's art".

I got this impression from it as well. I can agree with you there. There were times where, me and my brother got into discussion about the album asking why, why is it so bleak?

My only conclusion is that it was specifically to make some sort of statement. That being said, assessing the album purely on musical/technical terms, I feel this album is incredible. By the end of the album though, I was like " I get it... I fucking get it. Our future is BLEAK".

lol

There are some beautiful moments. Nothing is Real and Jacquard Causeway are pure brilliance, IMO.

To dismiss this (not that you have, though others have) as not a Boards album, is ridiculous. Texturally, technically, and obviously literally, this is a Boards album.

lol where are you getting all this from?

what?

Where am I getting what from? I'm referring to Acroyear's post which I quoted. Does that help? =/

all the shit about current events and the future of the planet.

There were very specific allusions to current events. Cold Earth sounded very Russian to me. Cold Earth, Cold War, blah blah blah... Chinese Russian Alliance and the current state of international affairs with them.... Split Your Infinities seemed an obvious allusion to the current research into subatomic particles via the Large Hadron Collider, which may or may not have some serious implications for humankind... Nothing is Real seemed to be about the greed of Church and Religion and the effect its having on the general populace...

I don't know, you didn't get any of this from listening to Tomorrow's Harvest?

Also the momentum of the album... It's a huge rise until the track "Collapse" where it suddenly gets bleak and then picks up with New Seeds; rebirth.

Overall, I don't know that the "bleakness" is what's at issue here, with me at least. I listen to a lot of music that may be considered by some to be bleak, and uplifting to me.

Please bear in mind, that I've said many many times, that I like some tracks on the album. Quite a few actually.

I don't understand what you're getting at. Fill me in...?

No I'm not joking though, that's what I got out of the album, and I don't see why that's anything more/less than what anyone else got out of it. Subjective, innit?

They have hinted in interviews (BoC) that points are being made with the musical content. And it's up to the listener.. Am I wrong? I wasn't too concerned with the interviews, once I heard the record.

It's really not that bleak. I mean, that's one of the things that really stood out to me and my brother when we listened to the live stream. It's really more glittering and shining than that. Going off the initial teaser, I very much expected a GYBE style bleak album. It's way more colorful than that. Let's have a brief look at each track from the lens of its purported bleakness:

1. Gemini: not at all bleak--kinda dorky and sends the message of "get ready for old VHS horror movies" type of experience. It's cute.

2. Reach for the Dead: OK, somewhat a downer, but not entirely bleak. I'd say "intense" is more appropriate.

3. White Cyclosa: not bleak, but kinda pensive and contemplative.

4. Jacquard Causeway: again not bleak, if anything those strings near the end sound warm to me, even if somewhat tragic

5. Telepath: sounds like sunset in a garage to me, totally refreshed and crisp twilight (not at all bleak)

6. Cold Earth: sounds a bit angry, and given the imagery from the album and the interviews, I tend to associate that feeling with current events. I might be projecting.

7. Transmissions Ferox: like gemini and white cyclosa, this one sounds like a scene where people are en route, also contemplative (i.e., not bleak)

8. Sick Times: aside from the title, this one doesn't sound at all bleak to me. It sounds like an alternative soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi.

9. Collapse: OK, I'll grant that "bleak" is the word I'd use to describe this one. It sounds like giving up.

10. Palace Posy: just sounds fucking goofy to me. I can't believe I actually heard this one night on Iowa Public Radio's Studio One one night on the way home from work--there are way better tracks. I still like it, though.

11. Split Your Infinities: glittering, bright, even if somewhat sinister. Love this one. NOT BLEAK.

12. Uritual: I don't get it, so I can't comment on it. Sounds like the appropriate music for rebels looking at old radar while being hunted by the military or something. I wouldn't say bleak, but bracing for some serious shit.

13. Nothing is Real: kinda weird after the lead up from Uritual, but this one sounds extremely emotionally conflicted to me: both sad and naively optimistic. To me, this is BOC at their best. Strangely hypnotic in it's repetition, but "bleak" is an inappropriately superficial descriptor for this track.

14. Sundown: just finished hiking in the Adirondacks with my family and my bro and his family. Perfect view. That's where this takes me. Not bleak. Complicated, perhaps.

15. New Seeds: rockin' and optimistic. In other words, not bleak.

16. Come to Dust: awesome title for a badass track. Sounds to me like embracing a glorious death. I'm down with that kind of Ancient Greek shit. Not bleak. Anyone who feels that way hearing something like this is a pussy.

17. Semena Mertvykh: bleak. Yup, that is the appropriate word--the only word--for this track.

OK, let's take stock, shall we? "Collapse" and "Semena Mertvykh" are appropriately described as bleak, although I think that's somewhat unfair to give a one-word description for "Collapse", but I'll grant it's OK. So that's TWO tracks at the most that can be called "bleak". But two bleak tracks does not make the entire album bleak.

Archived