IGNORED

alright, why do people wish to be confused for captain cornwall?

Guest skibby

why is it a trend to want to be mistaken for aphex twin? im talking about this blurb:

When he first launched himself into the scene there was the same token speculation that the young D Monolith was none other than a certain Cornishman we all know, but that was merely shorthand for the fact he released on Rephlex and was absolutely banging.

from this page:

http://www.bloclondon.com/dave-monolith-bloc-mix/

-

editors note: Why would an artist wish to be confused for someone else? AFX never wanted to be confused for his predecessors, did he?

gah!

no no no, you got it all wrong.

the idm scene is better than that.

monolith doesnt need people to think he's RDJ

only we care about RDJ.

people outside of the scene know RDJ as "aphex twin, that guy from the 90's on MTV"

so,

it serves no one to be mistaken for someone else.

in short,

Dave Monolith is none other than RDJ.

Because you want to make Braindance, and anyone who does it well gets confused for Richard. Like I've said before I think, especially with the most recent photodementia release, that Dave is pretty damn close to being as skilled as Aphex when it comes to this particular style. The fact that these "aphex imitators" happen to be on Rephlex is strictly due to the their making a business out of releasing this style of music. It was only a matter of time before more and more music like this would be released. Richard paved the way and others who dig the music followed him. No surprise there. Personally, I am very happy that they are finding all these artists, because it fills the gap that Aphex leaves when he doesn't release regularly.

i beg to differ, theres only a few hundred people in the world who would wonder if aphex is monolith, and it's the people who are regular members of this forum.

so,

i think its either a waste of blurb space to insinuate you might be RDJ.

RDJ paved the way, but why aren't people paving new ways? its cool to show love to RDJ. it's great to effuse love onto RDJ. its super to give RDJ some lovin's. its freaking fantastic to imitate the flattery to the extreme. its fine and good to do all of those things.

but an artist does not need to pretend to be another artist, thats just silly.

so, due to the illogicality of it all, Dave Monolith must be RDJ.

/science

imitation can be anything from a sincere harmonizing with the values and mindset of another, to a sad display of unoriginality and broken artistry, to a sad grab for notoriety. Lots of sads and probably some bads, and the odd 'well he's ok'. It worked better with blues, or maybe we gave less of a shit back then and just wanted our fix more than caring about who was getting jacked.

just woke up this mornin' rant and ramble/off

dave monolith sounds nothing like the tuss, or like analord, or like drukqs, or anything else.

if dave monolith is RDJ, like the article INSINUATES, then the only explanation is that RDJ has completely reinvented himself with a more commercial sound.

now, is this the case?

because DM does not in the least bit sound like RDJ. -- not at all, not in the sleightest.

so...

why the bullshit?

JK and Trackermatte have moments when I think I'm listening to RDJ. Not Monolith.

Has RDJ finally succeeded at blending in with the rest of us mortals?

I really like Dave Monolith, whoever he is.

I just think it doesnt do him as an artist any good to say PEOPLE THINK ITS APHEX TWIN (but its just dave so-and-so)

edit: i have no business meddling in the marketing strategy of rephlex, but i think theres got to be a better strategy than the coattail one.

dave monolith sounds nothing like the tuss, or like analord, or like drukqs, or anything else.

if dave monolith is RDJ, like the article INSINUATES, then the only explanation is that RDJ has completely reinvented himself with a more commercial sound.

now, is this the case?

because DM does not in the least bit sound like RDJ. -- not at all, not in the sleightest.

so...

why the bullshit?

JK and Trackermatte have moments when I think I'm listening to RDJ. Not Monolith.

Has RDJ finally succeeded at blending in with the rest of us mortals?

I really like Dave Monolith, whoever he is.

I just think it doesnt do him as an artist any good to say PEOPLE THINK ITS APHEX TWIN (but its just dave so-and-so)

edit: i have no business meddling in the marketing strategy of rephlex, but i think theres got to be a better strategy than the coattail one.

But I think people actually did think DM was Aphex when he first came around. Some obviously still do. I've even seen the accusations in comments on youtube.

People make all the rumors. Steinvord never claimed to be RDJ, he clearly stated he is some kid from spain, he has tracks out there that sound nothing like RDJ or anyone else (cyg x-1). Same goes for Monolith, he has tracks that don't really sound like RDJ. Of course the influences are there because RDJ created an entire genre and anyone into that music is going to be compared to RDJ. Even other people that contributed to create the genre like Squarepusher, constantly get mistaken by RDJ. Most of this forum thought these unreleased acid tracks were RDJ and not Squarepusher, for instance.

Archived