IGNORED

Music you like at low quality

gmanyo

i remember being in high school, probably as a sophomore, reading dantes inferno, listening to this:

[youtubehd]k0Mq3jc9wWg[/youtubehd]

this was as an mp3 being traded around prior to kid a's release. i've always preferred this version of pyramid song, probably because it was so simple compared to the final orchestrated one. there's something about the crappy audience recording, people talking, thom's voice being very distant and echoey, that makes it more powerful for me.

Ahh! Can't agree more regarding Radiohead live recordings. the first radiohead cd i owned in high school was a bootleg i bought at a local record store, of one of their live shows in paris and some other location.. I still think it rivals their studio versions. Something about the OK Computer era, live- those songs sounded astounding and epic in a live arena setting. that natural verb. so lush. esp. on tracks like exit music. those epic builds and operatic parts. nothing compares.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the final Pyramid Song is probably my favourite thing they've ever done. either that or Codex.

Same here, Amnesiac is my favorite Radiohead album actually, I was quite sheltered musically before listening to it - I hadn't even heard Kid A or OK Computer - so it was quite the experience listening to it for the first time.

I have two hard drives I mean to restore sometime in the future, mostly full of music I've either outgrown or since acquired. But I'd love to go through some of the P2P tracks I had found - odd snippets of DJ sets, foreign rap mixtapes in 128kps or lower (I swear I had some in Russian and Japanese that used the same instrumental tracks), odd things like that.

the super distorted bass on this recording makes it better. i'd love a really lo fi aphex release.

[youtubehd]ng_wgSsVKJU[/youtubehd]

radiohead bootlegs in late 90's is where it's at. i remember finding a site which hosted a ton of them in an obscure vqf format, low bitrate, small size, very 28.8k modem friendly. many of those bootlegs became ideal types for later radiohead releases to me. this is one of them if im not mistaken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmH1403IJdg&feature=player_embedded

another one would be autechre's draft 7.30 cassette promo leak from soulseek, which i burned into a minidisc (!) (as one track) which degraded the quality even more. it had a warm, mushy sound and i used to listen to that minidisc a lot while in the army. listening to draft these days in pristine lossless just doesn't feel the same.

radiohead bootlegs in late 90's is where it's at. i remember finding a site which hosted a ton of them in an obscure vqf format, low bitrate, small size, very 28.8k modem friendly. many of those bootlegs became ideal types for later radiohead releases to me. this is one of them if im not mistaken:

another one would be autechre's draft 7.30 cassette promo leak from soulseek, which i burned into a minidisc (!) (as one track) which degraded the quality even more. it had a warm, mushy sound and i used to listen to that minidisc a lot while in the army. listening to draft these days in pristine lossless just doesn't feel the same.

That does sound lovely. I'd never heard of VQF either. I missed out on Minidisc, seemed like quite a nice format back in the day, best of both CD and cassette's attributes.

bahaha this makes me so happy. i downloaded that exact file off of audiogalaxy back in 1999/early 2000. vqf, wow, lol. i remember the old radiohead messageboard, might have been called optimistic or something else prior to that, all the files shared were vqf files. i remember downloading the old motion picture soundtrack as well, which i also prefer to the kid a version:

[youtubehd]nmjyUce7kSU[/youtubehd]

and then, there's the berlin concert from july 2000. at first, it was a 160 kbps mp3 file. really hazy sounding, but in a nice way. later a soundboard appeared, supposedly mixed by nigel godrich himself. i still prefer the old audience recorded version of dollars and cents from that concert, which i heard a few months prior to kid a and probably a full year before amnesiac.

i love how the keyboard/ondes in this blends in to the background and the whole song has a really spaced out vibe vs the oppressive overorchestrated studio version.

Radiohead - 7-4-00 - 08 - Dollars and Cents.mp3

My dad used to record indie music from internet radio,

:wtf:

Reading stuff like this makes me kinda feel old when I come to the realization that internet radio has been around for long enough for someone to reminisce about their parents listening to it back in the days.

that being said, i still listen to internet radio. I actually stream it on my phone with shitty phone speakers. I end up shazaming stuff all the time but am often disappointed when i heard the track in a hi-fi setting.

I really dig low quality gabber and j-core. It sounds super internet-kawaii-anime or whatever. This sounds good at 240p:

DJ Internet Visions did a series of mixes that were just super lofi J-Core recordings, but they're kind of annoying to find.

My dad used to record indie music from internet radio,

:wtf:

Reading stuff like this makes me kinda feel old when I come to the realization that internet radio has been around for long enough for someone to reminisce about their parents listening to it back in the days.

Grandaddy, Atari Teenage Riot, Soundgarden, Beck, Crystal Method, Le Tigre, Love and Rockets, etc all nostalgic childhood memories because of my parents. So is Homestar Runner.

I really dig low quality gabber and j-core. It sounds super internet-kawaii-anime or whatever. This sounds good at 240p:

Sounds even better if you press the 'mute' button.

A friend had Wu-Tang's enter the 36 Chambers on Cassette that we abused and passed back and forth for 5 years. it always sounded weird to me in good quality.

That's the great thing about tape, in lieu of constituency and quality you get unique and weathered sounds out of them. Always liked this anecdote too:

Take Super Furry Animals and Neon Neon frontman Gruff Rhys, who issued Welsh singer-songwriter Cate LeBon's Me Oh My on cassette last year as the first release for his own Irony Bored imprint. "Listening to a cassette tape is not an exact science," says Rhys. "Some cassette players play them a little faster. Others distort and phrase the music, changing the sound on the cassette forever. My first introduction to U2 was listening to a cassette that had at some point been chewed up by a dog. It sounded like a recording of a My Bloody Valentine rehearsal or something, full of incredible whooshing noises and vibrato. Imagine my disappointment on hearing the correct version a few years later."

old punk music like misfits

Yesssss. Partly because a lot of older punk bands haven't got any decent-sounding recordings, and partly because it fits that old-school punk aesthetic:

Also, ancient blues recordings. Robert Johnson, etc. The lo-fi-ness gives it an eerie sort of quality.

I just got a weird mono tape recorder/amplifier combo used for language teaching that has a tape speed control. Been playing some old gabber and acid tapes on it. Lulzy but fun. The distorted kick drums sound nice on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Yw8HBaklo

Edit: lulzy youtube link

I just got a weird mono tape recorder/amplifier combo used for language teaching that has a tape speed control. Been playing some old gabber and acid tapes on it. Lulzy but fun. The distorted kick drums sound nice on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Yw8HBaklo

Edit: lulzy youtube link

Nice, pitch control with tape is a lot of fun.

Archived