IGNORED

Beck - Morning Phase

jules

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always kinda held his old goofy stuff against him (e.g. Midnite Vultures)...

how dare you

I agree with Limpy. There is some cool shit about some of it, but in general it's hard for me to take seriously.

Midnite Vultures is 110% class and the fact that he went from that to Sea Change is like head exploding genius.

This, and...

I've always kinda held his old goofy stuff against him (e.g. Midnite Vultures)...

how dare you

I agree with Limpy. There is some cool shit about some of it, but in general it's hard for me to take seriously.

...why does it have to be taken seriously? it's gold. ridiculous, over-the-top, fun brilliance.

Guest bitroast

Agreed. It's just marketing BS. I'm pretty sure the press releases were billing it as a follow up to seachange with the one quote from beck saying its not a follow up to sea change but more a California 70s rock style album.

The first half of the album kind of bores me (Morning and Heart is a Drum are alright and then I zone out until Wave comes). The second half is a lot better I think. Much better songs. And it ends on Waking Light, which is easily the highlight for me.

I'm not sure I would like this album if I wasn't a beck fan. But I am a beck fan, and have been since before sea change.. And this album sounds like beck. I'm happy with it. No complaints, so to speak :)

Guest bitroast

What's crappy is the sea change part 2 label made its way on to lazy album cover. That would be my complaint. It looks like high school level photoshopping.

Guest bitroast

I don't really like his tychos music.. but.. Tycho could have and probably would have produced a better album cover for Morning Phase

I don't really like his tychos music.. but.. Tycho could have and probably would have produced a better album cover for Morning Phase

Totally, I was really shocked at how underwhelming the cover was. Looks like the art of a MOR early 00s indie rock album.

Agreed. It's just marketing BS. I'm pretty sure the press releases were billing it as a follow up to seachange with the one quote from beck saying its not a follow up to sea change but more a California 70s rock style album.

Yeah I always found Sea Change to be too sleepy and dull, I gave Morning Phase a listen last night and found it to be far more mellow but engaging. More like Beach House or older Midlake or something like that. 70s rock is a good comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived