IGNORED

Fox News Goes After Pope

LimpyLoo

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Wikipedia:

The Catholic Church in the United States is part of the worldwide Catholic Church. With 78.2 million self-identified members, it is the largest single religious denomination in the United States, comprising 25 percent of the population

yeah but more people are still protestant, which isn't necessarily a 'single denomination' but easily more than catholicism in the us

Thanks, Jesus!

Any time. Literally. I mean, I'm Jesus ffs.

Guys, look how much better Jesus made the world.

you mean through the pope or through fox news?

Literally everything. I make "good" things, "bad' things. I'm responsible for the entirety of existence, bro.

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." -Luke 19:27

Jesus innit

"Snitches get stitches" - Je$u$

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." -Luke 19:27

Jesus innit

That's Jesus reciting a parable actually (the parable of the pounds)... the dude who says that line, "...bring them hither and slay them before me," is a rich nobleman character in the parable. The story basically goes like this: A rich nobleman gives three of his slaves a small amount of money ("one mina" in my NIV text) and tells them to "put it to work in the world." The nobleman then leaves on a short journey, and through his riches and desire, he becomes a king, despite the people of the nation unanimously rejecting his kingship. When the nobleman returns to his slaves, he tells them to bring forth their mina, and show what they have done with it. The first slave has invested his, and has made 10 minas from his 1. The king applauds this and gives him ten acres of land (or plots or something - the number is what's important). The second slave has turned his single mina into five, and is likewise rewarded with five acres of land to call his own. The third slave comes forward and says "Here is your pound. I wrapped it up in a piece of cloth, for I was afraid of you, because you are a harsh man; you take what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow." -- for this the slave is punished. His single mina is taken and given to the man who has ten. All the slaves balk at this. The nobleman tells them that under his rule, the rich will get richer, and the man who has little will have that taken from him. It ends with the verse you quoted (19:27).

Basically the backdrop here is that Jesus is in the last week of his life, and has been spending a lot of time at the tabernacle in Jerusalem. He is royally upset with the "money-changers" and Pharisees who have taken up the habit of selling items for sacrifice, taxing them, and possibly even giving a cut to the local nobles. Jesus even goes so far as to smash some shit in the temple. These men see him as a threat and conspire to get him out of the picture. Jesus did not want to be a "King" but his followers repeatedly pestered him about accepting religious authority; he finally gives in and reluctantly tells the apostles that he does have religious authority by virtue of being in David's lineage, but he is not into the idea (contrast this with the nobleman in the parable who wants to be king but is not well-liked). Ultimately this chain of events leads to the conspiracy against him and to his death on the cross.

The parable is weird, and kinda hard to understand without the rest of the back story, but Jesus definitely wasn't telling people to kill those who refused to be ruled by him. And he certainly wasn't pretending to be the nobleman in the story - the man who claimed that the rich will get richer under his rule, that material affluence will be rewarded by God. I mean consider this quote from Jesus in Luke 17:20-21 -- "Once, when asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied: 'The kingdom of God does not come visibly, nor will people say 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you." Then in Luke 18 he tells the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector, again making the point that material wealth has nothing to do with salvation, and can even often blind people from receiving grace.

(source: I'm not religious, but I was raised Christian.)

(I'm very surprised to feel this way, but) I would be happy to see this pope winning shit like person of the year in Time magazine or whatever. Although I think Christianity is a dark cult that was originally based on blood sacrifices and torturing people who worshipped the wrong god or gods, or no god. Oh and it's anti-science tenets have held humanity back for centuries, and continue to in manyparts of the world. Somehow, in the 21st century, missionaries in Africa with their 'teachings' on contraception are responsible for the misery and death of who knows how many...tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people. And somehow, in the 21st century, something like 40% of Americans believe that the devil literally exists. Like, the red guy with the horns. And something like 45% of Americans don't believe in Evolution...

wait nevermind I changed my mind

fuck Christianity

and as for the pope

I will reserve any praise

for when he miraculously fixes all of the problems caused by Christianity

The guy represents an institution that knowingly covered up molestation of children, and then when provided evidence of their crimes, avoided prosecution. I'm not sure if I can ever forgive that.

The guy is on a mission impossible trying to correct the ways of the church. For that he deserves every bit of praise he's been getting.

Be Christlike, people. Don't stick your sentiments in the past. Accept change for the better.

Amen.

Yeah, we should really get over it.

Sorry for being stuck in the past. Sometimes I forget how absolutely irrelevant the past is. We need to live in the now, and this guy is using a billion-dollar organization to denounce capitalism. Times they are a changin'.

Cynicism is the energy which is driving society forward.

wrong. Cynicism is the energy which prevents society from hurling itself off a cliff. Again.

we should all be moving forward. like the catholic church, which took the ideas of jesus being a humble guy who wanders around like a vagabond, helping people, and made a strictly governed hierarchically structured empire out of it, to accumulate power, wealth, and influence, which even this very pope is wielding

but i'm sure he will change the rules to allow for women bishops and popes p soon, huh? since he's so future

this thread should be titled 'fox goes after pope, suddenly many left wingers support a christian religious figure... and by extension the sexist catholic male power structure'

we should all be moving forward. like the catholic church, which took the ideas of jesus being a humble guy who wanders around like a vagabond, helping people, and made a strictly governed hierarchically structured empire out of it, to accumulate power, wealth, and influence, which even this very pope is wielding

but i'm sure he will change the rules to allow for women bishops and popes p soon, huh? since he's so future

this thread should be titled 'fox goes after pope, suddenly many left wingers support a christian religious figure... and by extension the sexist catholic male power structure'

wow.....i think i actually completely agree with you on this.

I......I need to sit down.

The guy is on a mission impossible trying to correct the ways of the church. For that he deserves every bit of praise he's been getting.

Be Christlike, people. Don't stick your sentiments in the past. Accept change for the better.

Amen.

"Christlike" is a myth

No one in history has ever been "Christlike"

(Including Christ himself)

It's like the term "good Christian"

Or "good book"

All euphemisms for a barbaric cult

Love thy neighbor

Unless he turns from god

Then burn him to death

And when you build a church for to worship Him

Bury a child beneath it