IGNORED

Digital synth love

jmbf44

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd be going for a second hand one, but all my gear is second hand (cept the volca and my monitors)

new gear is for people with the sort of jobs that ensure they never have time to play with new gear, is this you modey? hehe

Yeah, if I'm spending that much money I'd rather get something with a warranty.

Hah, I work in publishing. The pay is shit. I have plenty of time to play with my synths, thank you very much :P

That said, I will probably take a week off when I get the monomachine just so I can get blazed and do sound design all day hahah

do you use reaktor? I have made a front end/CC knob panel for all 6 monomachine synths as one ensemble. Full/semi random/mutated patch generation on the monomachine is ridiculous.

What do you think of using something like the BCR2000 to control monomachine's parameters? I suppose I could test that idea with the beatstep when I get the MnM but it would be good to have as many physical controls as possible for live use (I'm hoping to eventually get good enough with the MnM that I can play a live set with it as the only sound generator, or maybe with microbrute as well)

the editing panel on the monomachine is fine as it is, very fast to go go to the different knob pages. I've never met anybody with an elektron machine that uses a midi knob box or fader box controller because frankly its pretty unnecessary.

Ah cool. I keep reading on elektronauts about the monomachine not being as good for live use as other elektron machines.. but then I watch this video and it seems he's basically doing the kind of live stuff that I would use it for (ie. having a lot of stuff pre-programmed and tweaking/switching patterns on the fly)

edit: very interested in the reaktor patch though. I think it'd be a useful sound design tool even though I'm hoping to use the monomachine completely away from laptop

yeah ill share that patch with you. As far as the monomachine not being as good for live stuff, Its on par with the machinedrum. The analog4, rytm and Octatrack added a few live functions like the performance pane (assignable knobs to any parameter/customizable page) the crossfader on the octatrack, and the pads on the rythm.

the only real inferior aspect of the monomachine (and its a very minor thing) is that it's heavier and thicker than any of the other similar Elektron machines

ah right, I thought I was missing out on something amazing. The crossfader would be pretty cool but I don't think it's essential for what I want to do. As long as it's possible in some way to modify the patterns while they're playing (e.g. add/remove/modify notes), I'll be happy. Knowing my gear lust, I'll probably end up getting an octatrack as well in a year or so, hahah

The octatrack is probably the closest hardware equivalent of something like Renoise, but i've heard it has many odd short-sighted limitations. For instance you cannot resample (only pitch shift), i may be wrong on this but I've heard this from a couple peope now. Also you cant use it like a melodic sampling keyboard very easily (ie: layering a pad sample like a chord), with some legwork and work arounds you can but it's not designed for that type of sampling. It seems to be mostly geared towards loop based sample syncing and one shot drum sequencing.

Oh really? That kinda sucks. I don't get why there aren't more melodic samplers on the market. Is the korg microsample the only recent one that is reasonably priced?

Argh I know. I can't stop watching youtube videos and reading elektronauts. I'm putting another $600 on the monomachine tomorrow, $544 to go after that aaargh

the only real inferior aspect of the monomachine (and its a very minor thing) is that it's heavier and thicker than any of the other similar Elektron machines

The MkI of the MD and MnM are thicker yes, the MkIIs are the same as all the other boxes.

Guest Chesney

I cannot praise Elektron enough. Their gear is exactly what I had in my head when spending time and money trying find hardware that works how I want it. Although, saying that, I didn't like the way the RYTM is.

I have the MD, A4 and Octa. So nearly bitten on the MnM many times.

The MD is perfect bar adding micro timing.

The A4 too is a joy.

The Octa is a baby, a needy baby, but as complex as a woman. You need to devote your time to it and learn.

That's why I am still yet to learn it. But I will when I can give it the time it deserves. It's a beast of a machine though.

Archived