IGNORED

Interstellar - Chris Nolan's new film

Rubin Farr

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hollywood reporter article, Nolan to screen interstellar on non digital screens two days before digital cinemas.

After spending millions to convert their cinemas to digital at Hollywood's behest, theaters are being asked to roll back the clock — that is, if they want early access to Christopher Nolan's Interstellar, starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain.

On Wednesday, Paramount and Warner Bros. said theaters still equipped to project 35mm and 70mm film will get Nolan's Interstellar two days early, on Nov. 5, including 41 Imax locations. Many cinemas are bringing in film projectors to play the film, including TCL's Chinese Imax theater in Los Angeles. Some 240 theaters in 77 markets are participating, including 41 Imax locations.

"This devalues what we've done," said Joe Paletta, CEO and founder of Spotlight Theatres, a small chain in Georgia that is now all-digital. "I can't afford to get the projectors out of the warehouse for two days, and I don't even have anyone to operate them."

Nolan, who has a strong relationship with exhibitors, is a fierce advocate of film, and he's got enough clout with studios to make his passion a reality, but theater owners say the Interstellar experiment sends a confusing message. Nearly all of the country's cinemas have been converted to digital as Hollywood studios cease sending film prints. Earlier this year, Paramount became the first studio to stop distributing film, with the caveat that it might send some film prints in certain instances.

Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore said the decision to release Interstellar in film is about encouraging the moviegoing experience, period. In 2011, the studio opened Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol five days earlier in Imax to highlight that format. It also generated intense word of mouth (the film went on to become the top-grossing film in the franchise).

"Interstellar plays spectacularly, and we have a filmmaker who loves film, so we wanted to take a moment to showcase film as an important part of our heritage," said Moore, adding that Nolan will host a special community on Google exploring all formats, and not just film.

But Foothills Cinemas president and CEO Byron Berkley, whose company operates four theaters in Texas, agrees with Paletta. "It makes no sense to step back in time," he said.

For smaller exhibitors like Paletta and Berkley, the digital transition was especially daunting from a financial perspective, although the Hollywood studios have helped to defray some of the cost through virtual print fees.

Nolan shot Interstellar using a combination of 35mm film and 65mm Imax film.

Of those theaters getting Interstellar earlier, 189 locations will play 35mm prints, while 10 will play 70mm prints. The 41 Imax theaters will play enhanced 70mm prints.

link

Is he ahead of the curve on some 35mm revival, kind of like this douche bag vinyl thing that is currently playing itself out at the moment.

Is he ahead of the curve on some 35mm revival, kind of like this douche bag vinyl thing that is currently playing itself out at the moment.

a revival cannot happen. nolan is part of a small group of filmmakers who are trying to get studios to buy up the remaining stock of kodak's 35mm film and i believe this is him trying to use his clout to show that people still care about 35mm film (of course there is argument that people just want to see the film before everyone else- but he's hoping the people that see it first marvel at how good it looks etc)

• 4 weeks later...

i think i'll actually go and see this in a cinema so i want to know absolutely nothing about it beforehand than i already know: it's huge budget, made by a capable director, it's sci fi and has good actors.

for me, i cannot think of people less sci-fi than mathew macconaughey or anne hathaway. i'm also tired of

the 2001 homage almost every new sci-fi film films it needs to make with a conscious ai with a monotone human voice

and i'm also not really a nolan fan.

but science fiction is my favorite genre and i actually believe (even though this isn't a really good film) it will at least blow my mind on some level :cat:

Going to see this on Friday afternoon, first movie I am seeing opening day since Phantom Menace. Hope this will not be as disappointing.

Gonna be disappointed from what I've been reading. But you may be pretty excite about anne hathaways mystery cameo boyfriend.

Going to see this on Friday afternoon, first movie I am seeing opening day since Phantom Menace. Hope this will not be as disappointing.

Gonna be disappointed from what I've been reading. But you may be pretty excite about anne hathaways mystery cameo boyfriend.

Is it the batman ?

Is it the batman ?

actually, you're warm. If we play 6 degrees of separation, you'll nail it in 2 steps.

edit: was thinking of wrong batman. don't know if 6 degrees will work. probably though.

I really haven't read any reviews, which I don't put much stock in anyways, and don't have super high expectations. I've enjoyed all Nolan movies more or less and I yearn for sci-fi, so this ought to satisfy. I tend to not be that super critical of movies anyways.

I really haven't read any reviews, which I don't put much stock in anyways, and don't have super high expectations. I've enjoyed all Nolan movies more or less and I yearn for sci-fi, so this ought to satisfy. I tend to not be that super critical of movies anyways.

rational outlook. The sci-fi aspects sound good, so on that level you should be satisfied.

You realize that in 50 years people will envy those of us who actually saw Interstellar on IMAX 70mm right when it was released? All those kids coming up to me when I will be a grumpy grandpa. "Yeah, believe me, grandpa was there and it was something special, kids!"

Nolans films have been getting progressively worse, I don't have much faith in this one changing the trend.

i'm actually not a fan of chris nolan. i was working in a theater when memento came out and a lot of the arthouse film crowd were raving about it but i thought it was meh. didn't watch the prestige and didn't bother with the batman films because i'm not a fan of superhero movies- thought inception was a convoluted mess and now here we are.

i however cannot ignore he's currently one of hollywood's most successful filmmakers and the fact that he got 2 studios who'd normally be competing against one another to cough up enough dough to distribute this film wide- not to mention buy 35mm film stock from kodak- well, that's something. i don't even think scorsese can get one studio to do that let alone two.

Archived