IGNORED

Interstellar - Chris Nolan's new film

Rubin Farr

Also I really enjoyed the movie and it's scientific accuracy.

wat

I found a bunch of scientific inaccuracies watching it. That line about relativity and quantum blah blah not lining up really made me guffaw.

The line about not being able to program "survival" to half-ass explain why they didn't just send in robots (robots that were perfectly able to save at least one astronaut's ass but not able to gather data? Wtf?).

This movie looked gorgeous, but on an engineering level, it was not well thought out at all.

its

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my god and that moment where he stumbles into the board room in the "secret" facility and they continue to tell him that he's the best and he should fly for them again. Then someone presses a button, a wall retracts, and there are like 5 dudes welding a fucking space ship.

:facepalm:

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Unless the scientific adviser for this film was Jaden Smith I'm not really sure what they were even hired for. Probably just to make the tea.

Oh my god and that moment where he stumbles into the board room in the "secret" facility and they continue to tell him that he's the best and he should fly for them again. Then someone presses a button, a wall retracts, and there are like 5 dudes welding a fucking space ship.

Ya that was a bit over the top.

But a lot of the concepts presented were consistent with physicists like Stephen Hawking etc. String theory and general relativity were presented fairly well.

Unless the scientific adviser for this film was Jaden Smith I'm not really sure what they were even hired for. Probably just to make the tea.

Theoretical physicist Kip Thorne was the scientific consultant for the film.

I know it was like, 'what are you doing here? How did you find us??' Then half an hour later 'so will you fly this spaceship, the one behind this wardrobe door? Please?!'

I found a bunch of scientific inaccuracies watching it. That line about relativity and quantum blah blah not lining up really made me guffaw.

What's wrong with that? Reconciling quantum mechanics with relativity is still an unsolved problem. Unless you've come up with a theory for quantum gravity.

Ya that was a bit over the top.

But a lot of the concepts presented were consistent with physicists like Stephen Hawking etc. String theory and general relativity were presented fairly well.

Theoretical physicist Kip Thorne was the scientific consultant for the film.

Relativity was represented pretty well, but M Theory was really only hinted at. And of course in M Theory, people wouldn't be able to make it into those branes anyhow.

What's wrong with that? Reconciling quantum mechanics with relativity is still an unsolved problem. Unless you've come up with a theory for quantum gravity.

The line was delivered as if they should be aligned somehow. Einstein's equations break apart really quickly when you use them for things on the quantum level, so it sounded like they just threw in a bunch of jargon.

nolan is guest editor of wired magazine's november issue. there's a graphic novel thing written by nolan about the matt damon character, and all kinds of things, both in the physical copy and online.

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/absolute-zero/

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/wired-nolan-issue/

Guest trananhhung

LOVE IS THE FIFTH DIMENSION.

that was not the message. I'm sorry you didn't understand.

You're telling me that the message of the film isn't: love is the fifth dimension because it transcends time and space? And that Mathew macosidhbey access it because of the love he had for his daughter? Sorry, but I saw a new age cheesy poor sci film. To even dare to put this film on the same level as 2001 is ridiculous. It's one of the worst sci fi films ever made, just because of its pretentiousness and constant impulses to make it epic. God saves from Nolan.

Saw Altered States by Ken Russell two weeks ago. Now that's quite something.

what? to point out that it's a shitty pretentious movie?

i enjoyed the movie because i needed some popcorn treatment, but it's a pretty shitty movie

LOVE IS THE FIFTH DIMENSION.

that was not the message. I'm sorry you didn't understand.

You're telling me that the message of the film isn't: love is the fifth dimension because it transcends time and space? And that Mathew macosidhbey access it because of the love he had for his daughter? Sorry, but I saw a new age cheesy poor sci film. To even dare to put this film on the same level as 2001 is ridiculous. It's one of the worst sci fi films ever made, just because of its pretentiousness and constant impulses to make it epic. God saves from Nolan.

Saw Altered States by Ken Russell two weeks ago. Now that's quite something.

lol

I'm glad I could enjoy this and not go into it expecting it to be some impenetrable super realistic sci fi film that sacrifices entertainment value for accuracy. It was perhaps a bit too sappy but the space stuff was cool and the science was entertaining in an overblown way (ie. if we haven't invented the technology yet it's obviously unrealistic).

I did have a giggle at the Event Horizon nod with the drawing two points on a piece of paper, then folding it in half and poking the pencil through thing.

I'm with you b born. That was a fricken great movie. Watmms gonna watmm.

ditto, but I'm often an emotional sap and I don't see epic films in theaters much anymore - it was a more upbeat version of Sunshine in terms of the "saving the earth" theme, or Gravity with a much grander plot

visually it was amazing, and besides the space odyssey 2001 homages it also reminded me of how much I liked Contact as a book and felt like it never had a chance as a film

The soundtrack reminded me of OPN actually - all those grand pipe organs.

YES! I heard that too - Zimmer is gradually becoming one of my favorite OST composers

There's been a lot of jokes on twitter lately about Nolan's tendency to over-explain everything and treat his audience like retards lol

While the over-exposition is annoying, the audience is really dumb. Having followed discussions on various TV shows and movies on the internet, it's clear that most people miss a lot of very obvious stuff. Is it due to them being too busy live posting on the internet while watching something or just don't have the attention-span to follow a plot-thread for over 30 mins, I don't know, but the fact remains they are dumb. I used to think that the audience isn't as stupid as Hollywood may think they are, but I've started to question if the professionals in the entertainment industry actually know what they are doing when dumbing it down. Hooray for the lowest common denominator!

Yeah, despite what I feel was one of the most directly explained and laid out sci-fi films ever made I still heard someone in my row say, with that fake oh-I'm-so-cute/funny tones "so who all was confused the whole time!?" It's funny, and hopelessly sad, because my friend who saw it before me said he heard and audience member, a college age ditzy girl, say "I didn't get it."

It's not so much that people are dumb, I mean yes some really are - it's the difference between people who want to learn and or think about something differently versus those who rather dismiss or make fun of something flippantly. It's an attitude embraced and encouraged more than ever - whether it's stupid internet comments or #hashtag bullshit or some other quick, pointless, and irrelevant effort in meaningless yet loud actions. It's perfectly ok to try to understand a new thing, or simply enjoy and appreciate a film or artwork or music, etc. without actually succeeding in doing so. That's a least respectful and sincere. Instead too many revert to unwarranted cynicism or needless negativity.

I dunno. I yield to Louis CK:

Chris Nolan movies usually don't work with repeat viewings (outside Insomnia & Memento). My reaction is always "this is enjoyable" while watching them, then a few days later when I really think about the events that transpire in the movie I go "wait, none of that made any sense."

Watched the movie yesterday, then ploughed through the trivia section on IMDb and while being really, really entertaining and mindblowing, I pretty much agree with autopilot here.

Have to mention though: when I watch YT videos of crazy Russians climbing buildings without any safety precautions I sometimes get scared of heights and get sweaty palms / anxieties. I had that experience in the theater yesterday, but really intense. Especially during those spin scenes... So good job on that!

Archived