IGNORED

Interstellar - Chris Nolan's new film

Rubin Farr

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going in with very low expectations, gotta say this was very enjoyable!

facepalms & unintentional lols were had (FLOL @ murph-figuring-it-all-out scene), but relative to other newish sci-fi it's ballin' imo

Nolan's weakest film by a country mile imo. No desire to see it again

The last 30 minutes of Dark Knight Rises was fucking terrible. It takes first place. This one was pretty good. Nothing mindblowing. Just good fun.

I think I've seen everything from Insomnia onwards except for TDKR, and none of them seem to be the kind that rewards multiple viewings. Interstellar is my favorite because he went for more emotional impact and, even though he overdid it this time, it worked for the most part.

Chris Nolan movies usually don't work with repeat viewings (outside Insomnia & Memento). My reaction is always "this is enjoyable" while watching them, then a few days later when I really think about the events that transpire in the movie I go "wait, none of that made any sense."

Saw this last night in a theatre with motion seats (D-Box, if you see a theatre with it, try it!) definitely added to the experience of all the shuttle and black hole sequences... I enjoyed it a lot, definitely one of Nolan's better films. It felt like his modern take on Kubrick's 2001. Good plot, the visuals were really cool, and I thought the acting was well done all around, even Anne Hatheway who I don't usually like... I'd watch it again.

I saw this in imax last week, easily the best movie I've seen in theaters. One of the best movies I've seen period. It was fuckin awesome. My mouth was wide open the whole 2+ hours in space. Also the score was pretty amazing too

7/10 for me. Stunning to watch and for the most part really enjoyable, but isn't the classic it thinks it is. Also goes well past 3 natural 'ends' and b-lines for a hollywood ending.

I was blown away by the...

bit where they return from the water planet and the black dude astronaut had waited 20 years for them to come back, and then Cooper watching 20 years worth of messages from his family as they slowly die and give up. Devastating moment of film that, even though they spend every opportunity possible saying 'relativity, relativity, relativity' - still got me big time.

isn't the classic it thinks it is.

yea... Looking forward to someone doing an edit which leaves out all the cheese balls and focuses on the good (space) bits, this could work quite well imo. but dunno if I could watch the whole thing a second time.

Also looking forward to TARS vacuum adventures spin-off

first half of the movie was rushed. poor characterization and flow of the narrative, which makes me think nolan cut a lot out of the beginning. it also had a lot of cheesy lines. the worst offender in my opinion:

"we used to look up at the stars and now we're just stuck in the dirt" -- like, who the fuck would say that? poor delivery on mcconaughey's part too, but i bet he did his best since he killed on true detective.

also, the whole "we don't need engineers, we need farmers" thing is nonsense. engineers make your farming exponentially more efficient. we already have technology like this: http://qz.com/295936/toshibas-high-tech-grow-rooms-are-churning-out-lettuce-that-never-needs-washing/

i'm assuming if humans were technologically at the point where rockets were fuel efficient enough to break out of the gravitational pull of massive planets multiple times (as their shuttle did), engineers could figure out how to feed the planet. it doesn't help that nolan used a vague "blight" as the explanation for humanity starving. if it was something more concrete like "yeah, nuclear fallout is making all the plants die and all humans riddled with cancer, we need to get off this planet," i think i would've been more satisfied with that component of the plot because it would've seemed like a more insurmountable problem that would require leaving earth.

that being said, i forgive everything about this movie because the black hole was so fucking awesome. really dug that part. it was on the same level as contact's wormhole depiction for me.

also, does anyone find it weird that at the end

cooper has to go after brand by himself? don't you think this suddenly prosperous earth society would send some people to rescue her?

i also REALLY liked the portrayal of robots in this film. finally, a sci-fi movie where a robot is good, helpful, and works properly, unlike all of ridley scott's movies where the android is either secretly fucking evil, totally useless, or a delightful combination of the two... on that note, i'm really excited for chappie, not only because die antwoord is in it, but because it looks like a really cool, realistic depiction of what the first ai will be like (less skynet, more precocious child).

Looking forward to someone doing an edit which leaves out all the cheese balls and focuses on the good (space) bits, this could work quite well imo.

but love, phling... what about love?

Im gonna go see this soon, not a fan of Nolan, being dragged into it by friends who are expecting to have a mind altering experience. I keep telling them i think itll be a stupid love story hiding within some cool space shit and special fx.

This is why i read sci fi, they stopped translating too well into films once they merged with action/blockbuster imo, obviously there are some exceptions.

Am i even slightly right with the movie??

still looking forward to seeing it in IMAX, gonna get blazed first

ok Nolan, tell me this - WHY...

do they leave earth on a big smokin' rocket, when the little shuttle that' being carried by it can so easily land on planets and leave them. Multiple times. Without refueling. Huh?

but love, phling... what about love?

yeah uh! maybe they can leave a bit of that in there, it will be hard to tear all of it out cleanly anyway :]

Archived