Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha, Brasília

4p GERMANY v ALGERIA
Estádio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre

1 July 2014
12p ARGENTINA v SWITZERLAND
Arena de São Paulo, São Paulo

4p BELGIUM v USA
Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador

Some tasty looking matches there. The first three for sure - I hope Costa Rica crushes Greece. Argentina vs Switzerland has potential, Argentina still looking suspicious at the back...

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dutch have nothing to complain about their side of the possible opponents bracket, if they'll manage Mexico, either Greece or Costa Rica is next.

Hope they will get better at having more possession, less unnecessary turnovers, defense blindly kicking the ball forward hoping Robben will pick it up with his speed.

Dutch have nothing to complain about their side of the possible opponents bracket, if they'll manage Mexico, either Greece or Costa Rica is next.

Hope they will get better at having more possession, less unnecessary turnovers, defense blindly kicking the ball forward hoping Robben will pick it up with his speed.

It's not about them getting better, it's about having different tactics against closed teams. They played like that on purpose, excluding turnovers, but that is exactly why they were kicking the ball up the field, to exclude costly and inevitable turnovers against highly-organized pressing. They truly have outstanding chance to reach finals again, the most dangerous sides are on the other half.

Full round of 16 (ET)

28 June

12p BRAZIL v CHILE

Estádio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte

Referee: Howard Webb (England)

Excellent ref choice for this match, the Brazillians will hate him so much because he never gives a penalty that easily and usually never stops the game just because someone is lying on the pitch and crying.

Germany to win it all. Too strong offensively and defensively. Very organized and experienced midfield.

Also just to tease a little bit, but so much for the iron will of capello :p

Germany is really good. They're probably gonna win it, but there have been some pretty big upsets this time around. I'd like to see Germany play Brazil, but I'm glad it won't be in the final.

Nah. They are good, but not that good, imo. They'll either out-tikitakad by a team like Brasil, or they'll be stopped by some counter football team like the Netherlands. My feeling is that this world cup will be won by some ugly system though. No more tikitaka.

Germany is really good. They're probably gonna win it, but there have been some pretty big upsets this time around. I'd like to see Germany play Brazil, but I'm glad it won't be in the final.

For some reason I thought Germany was on the other side of the bracket. Still see them beating Brazil.

Nah. They are good, but not that good, imo. They'll either out-tikitakad by a team like Brasil, or they'll be stopped by some counter football team like the Netherlands. My feeling is that this world cup will be won by some ugly system though. No more tikitaka.

Your Oranje defense not strong enough to stop zee Germans. Does Brazil really play tiki-taka? I don't consider what they play tiki-taka...nor is it really their old samba futbol either...pretty direct attacking play with heavy emphasis on the wings.

For some reason I thought Germany was on the other side of the bracket. Still see them beating Brazil.

Your Oranje defense not strong enough to stop zee Germans. Does Brazil really play tiki-taka? I don't consider what they play tiki-taka...nor is it really their old samba futbol either...pretty direct attacking play with heavy emphasis on the wings.

I saw Brazil playing for 5 mins. It looked tikitaka-ish with a slice of samba, so it's peeeerfectly reasonable to think they do that all the time.

Right?

germany weren't that great against america who nearly scored in the 90th min, & they also drew against ghana,..... im for colombia to win it all, they have been playing fantastic in every game they have played so far, plus they have a wicked post goal dance off

Guest Roksen Creek

My sources tell me this Larry Swarez is really talented, but if he can't even get in the Liverpool team he must be rubbish.

Yep. Was rooting for Chile the whole way. Shame about that crossbar shot in the end of ET. The first two penalties by Chile were shit. I just hope that Brazil don't win it all. It would be insufferable. If this is the best they can do, then I don't think there's a chance of that happening.

Archived