IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jar Jar is based on the classic medieval archetype the Fool, or Bard or Jester. Remember Joxer from Xena? Same character. Read Joseph Campbell's "Hero With a Thousand Faces". Lucas intentionally mined it and Campbell was a mentor of his.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces

would have made the prequels somewhat more interesting if true. but even if it really was lucas' plan, which i believe the youtube does convincingly show, it really doesn't matter at this point. regardless of those possible backstories, jarjar is just an annoying character hammered into the story to give kids something to laugh about. i really don't understand why he didnt stick to his plan, if it indeed was his plan.

would have made the prequels somewhat more interesting if true. but even if it really was lucas' plan, which i believe the youtube does convincingly show, it really doesn't matter at this point. regardless of those possible backstories, jarjar is just an annoying character hammered into the story to give kids something to laugh about. i really don't understand why he didnt stick to his plan, if it indeed was his plan.

because there was this huge fan backlash after the first one about how terrible and useless Jar Jar was

"Well, I guess you could say I regret not following my heart with regard to my original vision for the rest of the prequels. Certain characters and certain surprises. But you also have to give the fans what they want and Star Wars fans are certainly very vocal."

-George Lucas

"Jar Jar is the key to all this."

-George Lucas

https://youtu.be/8yy3q9f84EA

(On my phone, I can't tell if this got posted already)

that's really cool. i didn't know why lucas 'chickened out because of the community' though, clearly the community would have loved to have seen jar jar get a barbecued face via jedi light saber.

https://youtu.be/8yy3q9f84EA

(On my phone, I can't tell if this got posted already)

that's really cool. i didn't know why lucas 'chickened out because of the community' though, clearly the community would have loved to have seen jar jar get a barbecued face via jedi light saber.

Well you gotta think about how he was beholden to 'the studio,' to all the investors...the first studio note he probably got going into the second movie was "kill that idiotic Jamaican fish-man, everybody fucking hates him."

because there was this huge fan backlash after the first one about how terrible and useless Jar Jar was

I'm prolly just an idiot, because I hear even more reasons to stick to the plan. dropping the plan actually made jarjar more useless and terrible. I don't understand. no, i don't want to understand. whatever though: nice possible backstory and a missed opportunity.

I like that Lucas has reached the point he's opening up a little about stuff he would never discuss when he was concerned about ticket and merchandise sales. He admits they jettisoned his new outline, he wants to know where JJ is going with this (although I'm sure by now he's had a private screening at the Ranch), he's discussed why Han couldn't shoot first, and he admits the internet really soured him on doing this trilogy. I can empathize, the nets have become a negative environment since the turn of the Century.

I'm prolly just an idiot, because I hear even more reasons to stick to the plan. dropping the plan actually made jarjar more useless and terrible. I don't understand. no, i don't want to understand. whatever though: nice possible backstory and a missed opportunity.

i'm right there with you...

We hit Toys R Us the day those toys came out and it took me all of 10 seconds to look at the Senator Palpatine figure and know he was The Emperor. Plus, if you've ever read the 1976 novelization of A New Hope, the forward actually spells out the entire plot of The Phantom Menace, 23 years before they made it into a movie. This was published Fall 1976, six months before A New Hope was even released, it was supposed to help promote this new unknown sci fi franchise, and help Fox recoup some of their expenses bc not everyone thought it would be a hit.

Nice artistic rendering of all the Star Wars ships compared by size. The only place he screwed up was with the Death Stars, Death Star I was 160km in diameter, while Death Star II at Endor was 900km diameter, over 5 1/2 times the size of the original. That was hard to convey on screen, and was mentioned in the opening crawl of ROTJ, but when you're talking about planetary sized objects, that's beyond most humans' perception.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/all-the-awesome-spaceships-and-vehicles-of-star-warsin-one-cool-graphic/

The names of the planets in EPVII have been revealed:

Starkiller Base: Ice Planet with a big ol gun

Takodana: Forest Planet, possibly destroyed by Starkiller

Jakku: Desert Planet, duh

D'Qar: The Resistance secret base, where all the X-Wings launch from

Hosnian Prime: ?? (not revealed)

And a new blurry canon Star Map of the SW Galaxy:

F768EEA6-3BEA-4664-B1AE-65641B4868E2_zps

Nice artistic rendering of all the Star Wars ships compared by size. The only place he screwed up was with the Death Stars, Death Star I was 160km in diameter, while Death Star II at Endor was 900km diameter, over 5 1/2 times the size of the original. That was hard to convey on screen, and was mentioned in the opening crawl of ROTJ, but when you're talking about planetary sized objects, that's beyond most humans' perception.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/11/all-the-awesome-spaceships-and-vehicles-of-star-warsin-one-cool-graphic/

Erm, the size of DS2 was not mentioned in the crawl:

Luke Skywalker has returned to

his home planet of Tatooine in

an attempt to rescue his

friend Han Solo from the

clutches of the vile gangster

Jabba the Hutt.

Little does Luke know that the

GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly

begun construction on a new

armored space station even

more powerful than the first

dreaded Death Star.

When completed, this ultimate

weapon will spell certain doom

for the small band of rebels

struggling to restore freedom

to the galaxy...

Also, DS2 was 160km: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_II/Canon

DS1 was 120km: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star/Canon

Guest bitroast

I like that Lucas has reached the point he's opening up a little about stuff he would never discuss when he was concerned about ticket and merchandise sales. He admits they jettisoned his new outline, he wants to know where JJ is going with this (although I'm sure by now he's had a private screening at the Ranch), he's discussed why Han couldn't shoot first, and he admits the internet really soured him on doing this trilogy. I can empathize, the nets have become a negative environment since the turn of the Century.

i dunno .. the guys just a big idiot at this point.

Erm, the size of DS2 was not mentioned in the crawl:

Luke Skywalker has returned to

his home planet of Tatooine in

an attempt to rescue his

friend Han Solo from the

clutches of the vile gangster

Jabba the Hutt.

Little does Luke know that the

GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly

begun construction on a new

armored space station even

more powerful than the first

dreaded Death Star.

When completed, this ultimate

weapon will spell certain doom

for the small band of rebels

struggling to restore freedom

to the galaxy...

Also, DS2 was 160km: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_II/Canon

DS1 was 120km: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star/Canon

then we have contradicting wikis, big surprise! lol. and I swore ROTJ crawl said something like "larger, more powerful Death Star" but I admit it's been a while since I've sat thru that movie.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star

"The first Death Star was 160 kilometers in diameter,[1][2] while the second Death Star was 900 kilometers in diameter.[3] Much of its interior space was devoted to systems required to maintain its massive superlaser and power plant. At the heart of each Death Star was a gigantic hypermatter reactor, which possessed an output equal to that of several main-sequence stars. Within this chamber burned a reaction of prodigious proportions, fed by stellar fuel bottles lining its periphery."

looks like they misquoted their own cited source

i dunno .. the guys just a big idiot at this point.

well, he is pretty fat haha

Archived