IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting point made in the comment section of this Guardian article by somebody who didn't buy the hype the first time around

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/14/myth-star-wars-force-awakens-heroic-legends

I have an admission to make. I've never watched a whole Star Wars film, and when I did try watching a couple, I thought they were such nonsense that I gave up before it got to the end. It made most Disney films seem like cutting edge art house movie making. Hideous and nauseating in just how contrived it was. They were not a movie making vision, but a contrivance to exploit the gullible at the box office. It's sort of Hollywood's answer to contrived pop music, put together to sell music to the gullible.

It all started when the first Star Wars film came out in the 1970s. There was such hype beforehand about how there would be massive queues, that I refused to go and see them. I hate being manipulated, and felt they were just probably commercial tat. Anyway, years later I thought I better force myself to watch one just in case I had been too judgemental, and in fact there was some hidden brilliance. It was hideous, and every bit as rubbish and contrived as I expected.

You see I remember how it was promoted in the 1970s. Long before anyone had ever seen a clip, the media were telling everyone how they would have to see them, and they were an entirely new type of blockbuster. So they built up a slavish fan base, before anyone had ever seen them. It's a sort of sub-standard Star Trek, with some sort of Western shoot em up story tacked on.

Maybe it's mythology for the truly plastic era. Although I could understand how it would appeal to a Tory like Matthew d'Ancona. After all Tory mythology is dire, contrived and plastic itself.

Right at the point where he calls 70s Star Wars sub-standard Star Trek he completely lost me. The poster was probably just an angry Trekkie.

It's OK to hate on Star Wars, I guess. But putting Star Trek above it for no particular reason is just very suspicious.

i don't really like star wars if i'm honest....like, i used to when i was 10 or whatever, but the last few times i've tried to watch any of them, i've just thought they were a bit rubbish... i tried watching a new hope last week coz it's on now tv, and totally lost interest about 20 minutes in...turned it off. yeah, sorry guys but star wars is shit.

Right at the point where he calls 70s Star Wars sub-standard Star Trek he completely lost me. The poster was probably just an angry Trekkie.

It's OK to hate on Star Wars, I guess. But putting Star Trek above it for no particular reason is just very suspicious.

Star Trek and Star Wars aren't really comparable - Star Trek is a sci-fi, Star Wars is an action adventure with a sci-fi setting.

I get where they are coming from, the amount of merchandising hype is nauseating, I hate it, but only because I'd much rather enjoy the movie for what it is (someone more cynical could argue what it is is a vessel for selling shit, but that's not really seeing the wood for the trees).

i don't really like star wars if i'm honest....like, i used to when i was 10 or whatever, but the last few times i've tried to watch any of them, i've just thought they were a bit rubbish... i tried watching a new hope last week coz it's on now tv, and totally lost interest about 20 minutes in...turned it off. yeah, sorry guys but star wars is shit.

word

Interesting point made in the comment section of this Guardian article by somebody who didn't buy the hype the first time around

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/14/myth-star-wars-force-awakens-heroic-legends

I have an admission to make. I've never watched a whole Star Wars film, and when I did try watching a couple, I thought they were such nonsense that I gave up before it got to the end. It made most Disney films seem like cutting edge art house movie making. Hideous and nauseating in just how contrived it was. They were not a movie making vision, but a contrivance to exploit the gullible at the box office. It's sort of Hollywood's answer to contrived pop music, put together to sell music to the gullible.

It all started when the first Star Wars film came out in the 1970s. There was such hype beforehand about how there would be massive queues, that I refused to go and see them. I hate being manipulated, and felt they were just probably commercial tat. Anyway, years later I thought I better force myself to watch one just in case I had been too judgemental, and in fact there was some hidden brilliance. It was hideous, and every bit as rubbish and contrived as I expected.

You see I remember how it was promoted in the 1970s. Long before anyone had ever seen a clip, the media were telling everyone how they would have to see them, and they were an entirely new type of blockbuster. So they built up a slavish fan base, before anyone had ever seen them. It's a sort of sub-standard Star Trek, with some sort of Western shoot em up story tacked on.

Maybe it's mythology for the truly plastic era. Although I could understand how it would appeal to a Tory like Matthew d'Ancona. After all Tory mythology is dire, contrived and plastic itself.

Never listen to anyone who hasnt actually watched it though. It just some guardian trekky snob or something.

I think star wars is overrated, but at least I've seen it. This guy obv. just likes to be disdainful of anything popular.

Yeah SW to me is some films I liked as a kid that I'd watch on Sunday when we visited my Gran. Along with Krull and The Goonies and other stuff.

Never really understood the obsession others have with it.

word

Star Wars is part of my childhood, it was a staple on the TV around christmas time for many years, so it got imbued with the general childhood magic of that time as well. Looking back on it now, the first film hasn't aged well, but still has a certain charm and definitely has lots of good nostalgic qualities, the second one is actually quite good film in it's own right, the third was mostly a load of shite - and gave a good indication of how terrible the prequels would turn out to be.

Archived