IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we allowed to post spoilers yet?

I think since the movie premiere is tonight and the reviews will be coming this week, any actual spoilers should be in spoiler tags if you want to allow people to make a choice whether to read them or not.

This is the first time I've even seen her interviewed so far

I just don't like the fact they made Captain Phasma a woman just because people were complaining there were no major female characters in the movie - except, you know, Rey and Leia, which is typically 1 more than all the other Star Wars movies had.

I just don't like the fact they made Captain Phasma a woman just because people were complaining there were no major female characters in the movie - except, you know, Rey and Leia, which is typically 1 more than all the other Star Wars movies had.

what difference does it make whether she's a woman or not? it's a silly space nonsense movie filled with silly nonsensical aliens, why would having a female imperial soldier be in any way odd?

even if they did, which i think is true, who cares? it takes me maybe 1 second to consider having a high ranking evil female character in star wars and think "yeah seems legit"

you sound fucking sexist lol

what difference does it make whether she's a woman or not? it's a silly space nonsense movie filled with silly nonsensical aliens, why would having a female imperial soldier be in any way odd?

That's just it - it doesn't - I feel like they were pandering to the folks complaining, and instead should have left things as they were.

even if they did, which i think is true, who cares? it takes me maybe 1 second to consider having a high ranking evil female character in star wars and think "yeah seems legit"

you sound fucking sexist lol

If the character was envisioned as female to begin with, that's fine - but don't go changing character gender just to satisfy some imaginary requirement that there is an equitable balance of va-jay-jays versus pee-peens.

Y'all are probably right that it's essentially (pseudo-voluntary) affirmative action for Hollywood; and I think that's a good thing. A bit pandering perhaps, but ultimately do I care if Phasma or Finn or whoever were changed to be non-white males? Fuck no I don't care as long as the actors do a good job with the role I don't care if every fucking actor on screen is a transgender pansexual mixed-race quadriplegic person. If I walk out of the film having enjoyed the film, that's all that matters.

sent using magic space waves

A bit pandering perhaps, but ultimately do I care if Phasma or Finn or whoever were changed to be non-white males?

changed from what? this is an original screenplay.

This movie seems like fake diversity personified.

Could you expound on this? As far as I know these aren't characters we've seen before. So, no one can claim the characters original ethnicities or genders have been changed. This question is for Joyrex, too. Sorry, I can't quote twice for some reason.

A bit pandering perhaps, but ultimately do I care if Phasma or Finn or whoever were changed to be non-white males?

changed from what? this is an original screenplay.

I remember after the first photo of the cast reading together caused a slight stir because of 'omg mostly white guys ugh' reactions online. And soon after they announced a few other cast members who were non-white/female and it seemed to be a bit of crowd control to appease uber-PC folks. But some of that is assumption and hearsay.

sent using magic space waves

This movie seems like fake diversity personified.

Could you expound on this? As far as I know these aren't characters we've seen before. So, no one can claim the characters original ethnicities or genders have been changed. This question is for Joyrex, too. Sorry, I can't quote twice for some reason.

I can't answer for Rubin, but if it is true they changed Phasma's gender just to satisfy the people complaining Star Wars doesn't have enough diversity, then I think they made a mistake. Ironically, I don't think we even find out Phasma is female in the movie (unless she sounds female), so it smacks even more of pandering to be politically correct.

Personally, I couldn't care less - as others have said, as long as the actor (gender-neutral preferred term) is go at what they are hired to do, it does not matter if they are male or female - IF the character they are playing is supposed to be a particular gender.

For instance, despite Steven Moffat's best efforts, I really don't think we'll see a female Doctor Who. The character has always been male, and regardless of Moffat's attempts to change canon by making it so Time Lords can change gender, I don't think the main character should.

Archived