IGNORED

SYRO $400 "Limited Edition" 3xLP

Rubin Farr

to bring the discussion back to Syro, I'm pretty sure that it would be a similar thing here too. tDR are very into their hand-made screenprinting at the moment, I gather from the Twitter feed. I would imagine this is all being hand packaged by Bleep staff.

actually, I don't think that's gonna bode well to be honest...

That last statement is practically begging for a Jason Donervan mock-up of the Syro Ltd gone wrong.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as far as I have figured...the high price is mainly caused by the fact that the "paper record" and the plastic slipcase (anything else?) is made by hand which causes extra costs...
I mean...the Warp20 box had loads more content...and about the same price

Did anyone notice that in the Syrobonkus cost list, RDJ's royalties are credited at £46.90 (50%). That means an equal amount is also going to Warp.

£93.80 out to Warp and Richard, I'd estimate another £50 or so on transporting the product/couriers etc based on what we can see in the graphic, and finally around £100 on creating the thing, raw materials, printing, finishing etc.

So in essence, you're getting a product where:

1/5 is going to the artist

1/5 is going to the label

1/5 is going to third party companies (approx.)

2/5 is going to TDR (approx.)

In any case, a fifth of your money from the deluxe set is going directly to Richard, which is about £10,000 of a £50,000 total made across 200 copies.

Obviously this is only an estimate, but it should hopefully help those on the fence about buying the set (if they win the ballot), whether to invest.

I'd say the 2/5 you've listed isn't going entirely to tDR; I doubt they do their own printing and finishing. It'd be an external company/companies—probably Warp's usual print company, for the standard printing, and maybe a smaller specialty print company for the specialty components. I'm guessing tDR pretty much just came up with the concept (and digital mockups) and then handed it to a print company to assemble a physical mockup.

Warp20 boxset was £95 at full price, £85 for those of us who pre-ordered.

I pre-ordered and it still felt expensive at the time. Actually worth it though, great music, book and love dem locked groove vinylz

I haven't even looked at it since I got it. I'm considering selling it, but don't think I'll get much for it.

Guest progben

Probably right actually Modey. Although assuming the royalties are £50 to RDJ and £50 to Warp per set sold, surely the ltd ed.'s main purpose is to ensure a payday for both parties (and give the fans something stylish for their money). The actual 'worth' of the thing is nowhere near £250, and as people have mentioned, the point seems to be that is isn't worth it, and you're buying into it for its artistic connection to you.

Would be interesting to see how far the £10k Warp could make knows they'll make off this thing goes to balancing costs across the Syro project as a whole.

Maybe a cynical perspective, but it's difficult not to be when the front cover is a giant receipt...

Probably right actually Modey. Although assuming the royalties are £50 to RDJ and £50 to Warp per set sold, surely the ltd ed.'s main purpose is to ensure a payday for both parties (and give the fans something stylish for their money). The actual 'worth' of the thing is nowhere near £250, and as people have mentioned, the point seems to be that is isn't worth it, and you're buying into it for its artistic connection to you.

Would be interesting to see how far the £10k Warp could make knows they'll make off this thing goes to balancing costs across the Syro project as a whole.

Maybe a cynical perspective, but it's difficult not to be when the front cover is a giant receipt...

I've got a pretty good hunch that £10k is a drop in the bucket when it comes to these releases ("these" being big releases like Exai, Tomorrow's Harvest, Syro etc).

why that's highlighted I am not sure lol

Guest progben

I've got a pretty good hunch that £10k is a drop in the bucket when it comes to these releases ("these" being big releases like Exai, Tomorrow's Harvest, Syro etc).

I guess we'll find out more when the physical releases come out due to the cover info. Maybe the 10k is to pay for more blimps? We can only dream.

1000 Quaristices sold out in 37 hours, would it have been more cost effective to make 2000 of those steel cases? With that kinda demand surely the term "Ltd edition'' could extend to 2000. I've no idea though. Some record company bot has to set limits and when expectations are exceeded they're standing there like a twat.

While it might have reduced the cost per unit to do a 2000 run vs. a 1000 run, they probably set it at 1000 knowing how past releases sold and it's always better to sell out than to have (expensive) stock left over, taking up space...

Trust me, I speak from experience!

Guest Papillon

Is there a slight chance this limited edition package was designed to hold future volumes? The plexi glass box thing is kind of huge for one album, I wonder if the intent is too stick future LPs in there or something (like analord). I sure would be disappointed if I passed this up and then found out there was surprise coming at a later date for buyers.

On the other hand if the general release album art is exactly the same as the limited one it would mean that you're paying an extra $370 for a plexi-glass box and art print. On it's own I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay that, or if it'd worth it.

For $370 it seems possible at least that there is something else included, other than the plexi-glass box and art print?? At the very least the album art could be different than the general release (to make it more worthwhile). Sorry I'm just speculating though...

Is there a slight chance this limited edition package was designed to hold future volumes? The plexi glass box thing is kind of huge for one album, I wonder if the intent is too stick future LPs in there or something (like analord). I sure would be disappointed if I passed this up and then found out there was surprise coming at a later date for buyers.

On the other hand if the general release album art is exactly the same as the limited one it would mean that you're paying an extra $370 for a plexi-glass box and art print. On it's own I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay that, or if it'd worth it.

For $370 it seems possible at least that there is something else included, other than the plexi-glass box and art print?? At the very least the album art could be different than the general release (to make it more worthwhile). Sorry I'm just speculating though...

I very much doubt it. Sending out something where there is space for the vinyl to rattle around would just be so amateurish. Not TDR at all. Unless there was something else in there that could be removed to make way for something else.

Hold down Alt and type 0163 on your Windows numeric keypad instead of copy-pasting next time :cisfor:

I guess you haven't looked closely enough at the packaging?

it's just right for what is there.

no idea why people continually think that there's going to be something extra that hasn't been officially advertised

If you look at the photos closely, the contents would seem to perfectly match the dimensions of the perspex holder.

I do think warp have been a bit coy with the shots though. Something like this, I want to see from all angles and all sides.

Guest Papillon

I guess you haven't looked closely enough at the packaging?

it's just right for what is there.

no idea why people continually think that there's going to be something extra that hasn't been officially advertised

I guess I was just wondering, it still seems like a lot to pay for the paper art print, and a plastic box. Thanks for the correction though. :emb:

If you look at the photos closely, the contents would seem to perfectly match the dimensions of the perspex holder.

I do think warp have been a bit coy with the shots though. Something like this, I want to see from all angles and all sides.

Thanks for the feedback.

Archived