IGNORED

SYRO $400 "Limited Edition" 3xLP

Rubin Farr

the funny thing is, if the larger part of the value is in the idea behind it, you don't actually need to own it to appreciate that and get that value. in fact that value is basically the realization that you don't need this thing.

and yeah i think the references to the other artists doing similar things to pose the question of whether what they are doing is valuable and maybe even asking 'why are you even buying this anyway?' is all very relevant. and i also think that if these are the types of ideas behind this, yeah, it IS very aphex.

so as an observer i appreciate it as what seems to me like a clear kind of statement/question of what limited collectors editions of idolized artists really amount to, and that they will still be sought after as holy relics even if they are stripped down to their bare essentials, while at the same time admitting that it actually looks nice too. but i think that whole concept is funny. it makes me wonder about rich maybe coming here and seeing the rare pics of himself thread or other similar threads and thinking 'i could sell these guys anything'. but again, to appreciate that concept, i don't have to actually own this thing, and if i actually do appreciate that concept, it makes me feel pretty weird about the idea of actually buying it. like the joke would be on me.

looking at it as a person who tends to like most of his released music, it doesn't seem to provide much if anything beyond the standard release (there could be a surprise in that regard tho, who knows). so for me the only reason to buy it would be with the purpose of selling to someone for 5x the amount down the road. people complaining that that would make me a jerk, well, it's the exact same thing aphex/tDR seem to be doing, and the whole point behind this package, seemingly. i would just be taking it to a further extreme. so people reselling this thing for more money down the road are only further playing out the idea behind this release, imo. someone will one day, probably spend thousands, plural, for this thing. and they knew that and probably laughed about it when they conceived it.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

I'm not gonna buy it, but I've entered the ballot and if I win my code is going to bitroast (assuming he's gonna buy it), so at least I'll be able to look/touch/listen, heh.

Lole i'd prefer it if you weren't already making plans to touching my syrobonkus, but i appreciate the gesture nonetheless

So I have decided.
If I get picked in the ballot, i'm gonna buy this, and hold on to it for a few years.

*edit*

But would be willing to swap for Quaristice Ltd Edition 2xCD + Quaristice Vinyl + Draft 7.30 Vinyl + any other autechre stuff you wanna throw in :emotawesomepm9:

Guest progben

Did anyone notice that in the Syrobonkus cost list, RDJ's royalties are credited at £46.90 (50%). That means an equal amount is also going to Warp.

£93.80 out to Warp and Richard, I'd estimate another £50 or so on transporting the product/couriers etc based on what we can see in the graphic, and finally around £100 on creating the thing, raw materials, printing, finishing etc.

So in essence, you're getting a product where:

1/5 is going to the artist

1/5 is going to the label

1/5 is going to third party companies (approx.)

2/5 is going to TDR (approx.)

In any case, a fifth of your money from the deluxe set is going directly to Richard, which is about £10,000 of a £50,000 total made across 200 copies.

Obviously this is only an estimate, but it should hopefully help those on the fence about buying the set (if they win the ballot), whether to invest.

Erghh another potential stupid question (or jazz). If you win a place, what's the craic?

Is it drawn on release date? then you have 24 hours to pay? etc. I'm asking because I don't generally 200 quid casually floating about.

1st Ballot

23 September 2014: 200 applicants will be selected at random from the entries. Customers will be contacted with details on how to purchase the Syro Limited Edition by 25 September 2014 00:00 GMT. Customers will be sent a code redeemable on Bleep which will allow them to purchase the Limited Edition Box Set.

Customers have until 2 October 2014 00:00 GMT to place their order after this point they will no longer be eligible to place their order.

2nd Ballot

Any unclaimed box sets will be reallocated in a second ballot and successful applicants notified on the 2 October 2014.

Successful applicants have until 9 October 2014 00:00 GMT to place their order after this point they will no longer be eligible to place their order.

3rd Ballot

Any unclaimed box sets will be reallocated in a third ballot and successful applicants notified on the 9 October 2014.

Successful applicants have until 16 October 2014 00:00 GMT to place their order after this point they will no longer be eligible to place their order.

Additional Ballots

Any remaining unclaimed box sets will be allocated in ballots that last 48 hours from the 16th October 2014.

Says Ian Anderson, founder of The Designers Republic, the people behind the design: "The intense, and ultimately pointless detail of the list really appealed to me... it was good working with James Burton and the team at Warp to stretch out this mantra that tells the reader everything and nothing about the creation of what I hear was an intensely personal album in the making reduced to the numbers of an album in the marketplace." For £250, it's yours.

I've also heard that there is some kind of message imprinted inside one of the sleeves. A bit like the family logo thing that was inside Geogaddi.

Apparently it says "You are a muppet with more money than sense. Best wishes, Warp Records"

Did anyone notice that in the Syrobonkus cost list, RDJ's royalties are credited at £46.90 (50%). That means an equal amount is also going to Warp.

RDJ's royalties kick in after break even.

But would be willing to swap for Quaristice Ltd Edition 2xCD

How much are these selling for now on eBay? Can't remember how much they cost in '08 but I actually wish i'd bought one. At the time i dismissed it as overpriced and gimmicky. But it was in a pretty cool silver steel case and certainly a bargain compared to this Syro set. Although that set does look sensual, and in the year 2014 they had to do something special to celebrate such a monumental release and they knew the demand would be there to the extent where they put it to a lottery, so it's like ''more power to ye, buddy''

better to be a muppet with money than a muppet without

True.

How much are these selling for now on eBay? Can't remember how much they cost in '08 but I actually wish i'd bought one. At the time i dismissed it as overpriced and gimmicky. But it was in a pretty cool silver steel case and certainly a bargain compared to this Syro set. Although that set does look sensual, and in the year 2014 they had to do something special to celebrate such a monumental release and they knew the demand would be there to the extent where they put it to a lottery, so it's like ''more power to ye, buddy''

I saw them last around the £100 mark on eBay.

Can't remember how much they cost in '08 but I actually wish i'd bought one.

was £28.99, I have the original receipt somewhere

Guest jasondonervan

Quaristice LE sold out fast on Bleep. I recall bormklutz got a handful in a week after release and they sold within minutes.

Ha, wow, that's a bargain. But at the time loads of people were grumbling ''30 quid for a couple of CDs, no way'', but still paid about 12 quid for the normal quaristice edition Time's changing. Dang.

Ha, wow, that's a bargain. But at the time loads of people were grumbling ''30 quid for a couple of CDs, no way'', but still paid about 12 quid for the normal quaristice edition Time's changing. Dang.

Yeah but that seller is a bad example. I've seen sealed copies going for as little as £60-70 in the last two or three years.

Some of that is probably down to Autchre not having the same kind of notoriety/mythology/cult status as AFX or BOC.

Quaristice LE sold out fast on Bleep. I recall bormklutz got a handful in a week after release and they sold within minutes.

it wasn't even Bleep back then. That was when it was still good old WarpMart.

I remember it selling out on WarpMart in about 37 hours or so.

edit: according to Wikipedia, it was 12 hours. lel

1000 Quaristices sold out in 37 hours, would it have been more cost effective to make 2000 of those steel cases? With that kinda demand surely the term "Ltd edition'' could extend to 2000. I've no idea though. Some record company bot has to set limits and when expectations are exceeded they're standing there like a twat.

Guest jasondonervan

it wasn't even Bleep back then. That was when it was still good old WarpMart.

I remember it selling out on WarpMart in about 37 hours or so.

edit: according to Wikipedia, it was 12 hours. lel

You're right, it was The beloved WarpMart *sniff*

Better days. No lotteries or endless hype.

Oscillik, the second disc was all bonus material wasn't it? I can't remember. I'd have to dig mine out.

yeah the second disc is bonus material, Quaristice (Versions)

1000 Quaristices sold out in 37 hours, would it have been more cost effective to make 2000 of those steel cases? With that kinda demand surely the term "Ltd edition'' could extend to 2000. I've no idea though. Some record company bot has to set limits and when expectations are exceeded they're standing there like a twat.

I think it was the whole process to be honest. WarpMart staff were hand packaging them all, and I believe they were having trouble with the slipcases and the laser etching of the steel boxes. The release was delayed considerably (I think they were about a month and a half late).

to bring the discussion back to Syro, I'm pretty sure that it would be a similar thing here too. tDR are very into their hand-made screenprinting at the moment, I gather from the Twitter feed. I would imagine this is all being hand packaged by Bleep staff.

actually, I don't think that's gonna bode well to be honest...

Archived