IGNORED

SYRO $400 "Limited Edition" 3xLP

Rubin Farr

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if hes saying the grooves are actually in ink, besides being really noisy i would think you would only get a few plays out of it. both aspects of that, to me, are actually kind of cool. the first being that maybe this track is only ever available on a noisy medium, and maybe a few of the people with those 200 copies takes it upon themselves to rip that to digital, upload somewhere, and each one of those rips would sound different for several reasons. you'd get slightly to very different glimpses of the sound beneath that noise. that and the fact that the recording could probably only be played back a few times... the first time would probably be noisy as hell but that first play would probably make it even more noisy the next time around.. thats like the total antithesis of modern digital delivery of music (except for the fact that at least one of those people will almost surely rip/preserve the thing and 'deliver' it to everyone else)

yeah, interesting. I'll believe it when I see it though (ie. see the photos that someone else will post).

I'd love to hear more IDM cut to acetate, actually. I think some Autechre would be lush on degradable media.

imagine how nervous you'd be setting out to rip this thing. you'd want to get it right the first try. what if it doesnt say anything about speed (of course you could always resample to other speeds in digital)? if its not on a rigid base and playing it would likely tear something i wouldn't even bother, personally. that, imo, would be crossing a line to being just a little TOO evil and actually kind of a dick move. charging people hundreds essentially for fancy packaging and putting something on that packaging that entices them to destroy some of it? although even if you can play it without ripping anything, youre still destroying it by wearing down the recording.. which would totally fuck with resale value in a weird way. this will be a central point of this set, that people want to collect it for, at least if that track is even halfway interesting. but how do you grade something like that? you wouldnt even want to play it again to see how badly the first time you played it fucked it up, because doing that to check would make it worse. so if youre honest all you could tell someone when you sell it would be that you played that thing x amount of times.

A completely separate technology[8] has been developed by physicist Carl Haber. Installed in the Library of Congress late in 2006, the IRENE System uses a two-dimensional camera rotating around the record, which takes detailed photographs of the grooves. Software then uses the digital images to reconstruct the sound. IRENE often produces a large amount of hiss with the recording, but it is very capable of removing pops and clicks produced by scratches on the record surface. IRENE will only read lateral information (monophonic), but a three-dimensional scanner project is underway that will handle stereophonic and quadraphonic records, in addition to historical hill-and-dale recordings.[9] Detailed descriptive posters can be downloaded from the IRENE Web site. These are not being developed for sale.

yeah i thought about the laser turntable and related scanning methods but what are the chances that one of the 200 people who have this thing have access or care to seek out those methods which would cost money and time and effort. also i wouldn't just assume that the laser turntable would work in any way that prevents you having to destroy the package somehow. what if its printed on a square piece of stock that wouldnt fit into the thing? what if the turntable just wouldnt accept a piece of cardstock?

A completely separate technology[8] has been developed by physicist Carl Haber. Installed in the Library of Congress late in 2006, the IRENE System uses a two-dimensional camera rotating around the record, which takes detailed photographs of the grooves. Software then uses the digital images to reconstruct the sound. IRENE often produces a large amount of hiss with the recording, but it is very capable of removing pops and clicks produced by scratches on the record surface. IRENE will only read lateral information (monophonic), but a three-dimensional scanner project is underway that will handle stereophonic and quadraphonic records, in addition to historical hill-and-dale recordings.[9] Detailed descriptive posters can

it is very capable of removing pops and clicks produced by scratches on the record surface

But is it capable of removing minipops? :emotawesomepm9:

:trashbear:

I think they're pretty, even though I probably have more chance of winning the lottery than getting a chance to purchase one of them.

That's pretty ironic, considering getting a chance to buy it involves winning a lottery

Why not just scan it at 1200dpi or something?

Don't think you'll get an accurate portrayal of depth like that, you need some kind of 3d imaging.

Or the metal plate it is pressed from, then you could create 100s of copies and ruin them gleefully.

Everyone's assuming of course the extra track on the paper record isn't:

1. The bonus track that appears on the Japanese release
  2. Includes a download code to get it properly without having to ruin the "art"

I'm gonna fucking laser copy my fricking version guys.

Then fuckin 3d print it.

Actually gonna get all 200 copies and run a mother fucking monopoly on this shit.

Actually gonna get all 200 copies and run a mother fucking monopoly on this shit.

So what you're saying is... you're rich.

Would a 30cm square artwork even fit on a regular turntable without cutting off the corners? You'd have to use something like an EMT broadcast turntable that can play 16" LPs

Not to mention punching a hole in the middle to get it on the spindle

I think it would probably be best to scan the thing. There has been a program developed to taked scanned record surfaces and turn them into music, it's called Digital Needle. Unfortunately the link to the page appears to be defunct (http://www.phys.huji.ac.il/~springer/DigitalNeedle/)

Only other project I'm aware of is IRENE (Library Of Congress) http://irene.lbl.gov/

I'm gonna fucking laser copy my fricking version guys.

Then fuckin 3d print it.

sounds like you been on the Colombian marching powder

Each of the 200 limited editions is

a different

Aphex

ALBUM

That did cross my mind.

Well,

At least I thought about each "printed" record being unique (maybe a different track or different stems). That would really cause some conundrums amongst the fans - how do I listen to it without degrading my copies worth? Very clever.

It would be like a more insane version of what Venetian Snares did with his Bulldozer Ltd Ed. discs

Archived