IGNORED

Axoloti: a digital audio platform for makers

kausto

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is some pretty ballin shit. I spent like $600 on that little OTO lofi box and while it is pretty awesome this thing is more capable and 1/10 the price. Good times we live in.

fukc clavia. this is pretty much the nord g3 right here.

...and you can tell by the software interface that he is clearly inspired by the nord modular. the appearance is very similar.

will definitely be picking this up down the road. i love the idea of a portable little hardware box that you can reprogram as needed to fulfill various tasks for live performance. fx processor, sequencer, midi processor, synth,...

This looks really awesome. However, I'm very reluctant to back something on a funding campaign again...I've already had quite a bit of trouble with the Telefuture label kickstarter campaign. I'll wait for this to be available 'properly' before I sink any money into it.

donated. thanks for posting this. I like the nord modular editor, so it'll be nice to have another instrument with a similar interface.

bad tech spec for the money: a 180Mhz ARM Cortex M4 microcontroller with 256kB of SRAM, and 1MB of Flash (STM32F427)

You can get raspberry pi or arduino for cheaper and much more functionalities and way better specs. Then plug them in through usb to a audio interface for more audio io connections.

bad tech spec for the money: a 180Mhz ARM Cortex M4 microcontroller with 256kB of SRAM, and 1MB of Flash (STM32F427)

You can get raspberry pi or arduino for cheaper and much more functionalities and way better specs. Then plug them in through usb to a audio interface for more audio io connections.

True, but you'd need the audio interface. Also, it's dedicated so you don't need to run an unnecessary operating system, and (I assume) you don't have to fuck around in order to get low latency audio processing from it.

True, but you'd need the audio interface. Also, it's dedicated so you don't need to run an unnecessary operating system, and (I assume) you don't have to fuck around in order to get low latency audio processing from it.

From FAQ:

Why not simply use a Raspberry Pi?

A Raspberry has a higher clock speed and much more memory. It is rather a small PC, and that brings in all the maintenance associated with a PC. Running Raspbian uses so much resources of the Raspberry Pi, that little is left for realtime audio duties. The onboard audio output is very low quality and there’s no audio input. If you try this road, you’ll end up with a composition of a r-pi, usb hub, USB sound card, and running USB cables internally.

Axoloti is made to be patched with a PC, where you can focus on the audio algorithms., and then be played without PC, where you can focus on playing your sound.

http://axoloti.be/more-info/hardware-faq/

Guest Hanratty

How much do you think this will cost? It looks a lot like the micro modular. Although, if I remember right, the NM had a lot of modules that this doesn't have. Still, it's really cool looking.

How much do you think this will cost? It looks a lot like the micro modular. Although, if I remember right, the NM had a lot of modules that this doesn't have. Still, it's really cool looking.

At least during the indiegogo campaign, it looks like you can pre-order one for 60 euros plus shipping – significantly cheaper than the NMM, that's for sure. Can't say how it compares in terms of patching/sound/hardware/etc, seems super cool though. Nice to have a modern alternative that's not super expensive (ala monome aleph).

• 7 months later...

Got it today. Installed, connected — everything works fine. Loaded some tutorial patches and demos. It sounds really good.

Still waiting on my shipping confirmation email.

What are you using for an enclosure?

It is more like Max and PD, but with 3000Hz control rate instead of bangs.

Everything is pretty low level, compared to NM and G2. So you can build reverbs as subpatches and use them everywhere.

I really wish I'd gotten two instead of one. I regretted it almost as soon as I'd paid for one but by the time I decided to donate for a second one they were gone.

I hope he gets funding going for the Axoloti Control soon!

saw the promo video yesterday and the idea of getting one grew on me. this could be a great replacement for my CS1X for live performance (i would already have a lot of equipment to move and taking the CS1X although I just use it as a "MIDI expander" - no need for the keyboard - is a bit stupid). I use this synth a lot for pads and I wonder how Axoloti sounds for that.

wow I just saw you can actually download the software for free!! look like I found what I'll do today

edit: well, seems like you need the Axoloti Core to output sounds from the patches you program. Too bad, would have been cool to be able to test the software before buying

hope there are plans for another production soon. Any info about when that could happen? didn't find anything on the site, even a contact e-mail.

I never caught this thread when the campaign was going on, sounds like an interesting little device. Curious to see some hands on experiences with it.

Sent using magic space waves

i'd pay somethin for the software by itself if it put out sound a la that nord modular software that is monophonic but free to use, i dunno if you can get the polyphonic version without the hardware or what

The software is really just an editor, all of the patches are compiled to machine code and loaded onto the DSP board, so I'd imagine making a software version would mean practically starting from scratch. PD would do more or less what you're after, though, and for free.

The Patcher software is, in my opinion, the only interesting thing about this project. The board itself looks pretty much like an STM32 reference design, and the hardware is rather anemic. Hopefully they'll gain some traction and target a more interesting SoC (preferably one with a lot more RAM for delays), or bite the kernel hacking bullet and turn this into a BeagleBone cape (which is what I think they should've done in the first place).

P.S., from what I've read it seems as though the editor creates C++ code from the patches, which are then compiled for the ARM chip. In that case, doing a software version or targeting another platform shouldn't be too difficult. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this project...

Archived