IGNORED

Reign In Blood LP

calx

No1 contender for heaviest & outright best metal album EVER MADE.

Maybe once or twice a year, prob when late for work, i chuck it on. Its ideal for any commute filled with other people's road rage.

Nothing like some cunt pulling alongside you, threatening to cut your face off, while you slowly unfurl the car window open with this album playing at max decibels.

They soon fuck off, trust me,,,,,,,

Yeah, they were loud as fuck when I saw them a few years back. I believe they were touring for Christ Illusion. Although I was hearing almost nothing but Hanneman's guitar (the guitars seemed to be panned hard left and right through the PA, and I was on the left side of the arena. 'Twas loud but lopsided as fuck from where I was seated. Rob Zombie on the other hand, who I'm not really a fan of musically, sounded as close to sonic perfection as that arena will allow.

Tell you a funny story.

The old school friend who got me into heavy guitar music was believe it or not a devout Chrisitian, who played guitar in a church band lol. At the time I was falling out with hip-hop and was really into Pink Floyd and he started to play me records (you did that back in the day whippersnappers, went round somebodies house to listen to vinyl records) like Guns and Roses, The Black Crowes, Steve Vai and stuff like that. To be fair Appetite For Destruction I really liked, but he actually verbally warned me to stay away from 'thrash metal' (of which I'd never even heard of!), especially a band called Slayer, 'cause...they were satanic and evil and this and that and etc etc. You get the picture. And to be fair I thought I'd hate it anyway as it would just be a load of noise. I could just about cope with Axl Rose's whiney vocals.

Fast forward a few weeks, some of the lads at school I knew were really into skating, and there was a crossover of sorts at the time, as they was all into breakdancing, graffiti and early hip-hop, and now were also getting into punk, hardcore and thrash. One of them leant me a tape with Reign in Blood on one side and South of Heaven on the other (also before that years before I borrowed a tape off him with Schooly D and KRS-1, so he knew the score). I just guess it was one of those half a dozen times in your life when you mind is blown so hard, that a whole new path of discovery is laid out before you. I couldn't believe how awesome it sounded. Then Seasons in the Abyss came out and that was my favorite, I just loved that band so bad.

Robert my old mate from church joined a religious sect/cult abroad somewhere and lost the plot. And that's another story.

Slayer = uncompromising

much respect

recent Kerry King quote:

guitarist Kerry King commented: "We were touring Europe and we had a three-hour ride in some fucking minivan, and I'm just miserable in the backseat, not into anything. So I just stated jotting down hateful thoughts. It's about a dude who wakes up at a crime scene and realises he's killed everybody. It's really cool.”

Lol

"so much tears"

There's a dude at work a bit like that, still bangs on about Slayer, Anthrax and early Metallica like it's yesterday, he's pretty funny but I dunno you have to move on a bit. I'm glad I'm not stuck in some twilight zone timewarp. He latched onto me pretty quick when he found out I used to be into all that, I broke it to him gently that I wasn't really interested much nowadays. For him his music interests haven't progressed since 1990. Fuck that. He's still a great guy though, every time he sees me he does the devil horns lol.

Lol

"so much tears"

There's a dude at work a bit like that, still bangs on about Slayer, Anthrax and early Metallica like it's yesterday, he's pretty funny but I dunno you have to move on a bit. I'm glad I'm not stuck in some twilight zone timewarp. He latched onto me pretty quick when he found out I used to be into all that, I broke it to him gently that I wasn't really interested much nowadays. For him his music interests haven't progressed since 1990. Fuck that. He's still a great guy though, every time he sees me he does the devil horns lol.

I hear yer, but yeah for some people that works, they get that much pleasure out hearing the same albums over and over that they really don't need to change. And that's actually pretty cool :)

I just like to revisit stuff like that now and again to see how well it's aged. RIB is a fine example, a true classic.

Guest Chesney

Tell you a funny story.

The old school friend who got me into heavy guitar music was believe it or not a devout Chrisitian, who played guitar in a church band lol. At the time I was falling out with hip-hop and was really into Pink Floyd and he started to play me records (you did that back in the day whippersnappers, went round somebodies house to listen to vinyl records) like Guns and Roses, The Black Crowes, Steve Vai and stuff like that. To be fair Appetite For Destruction I really liked, but he actually verbally warned me to stay away from 'thrash metal' (of which I'd never even heard of!), especially a band called Slayer, 'cause...they were satanic and evil and this and that and etc etc. You get the picture. And to be fair I thought I'd hate it anyway as it would just be a load of noise. I could just about cope with Axl Rose's whiney vocals.

Fast forward a few weeks, some of the lads at school I knew were really into skating, and there was a crossover of sorts at the time, as they was all into breakdancing, graffiti and early hip-hop, and now were also getting into punk, hardcore and thrash. One of them leant me a tape with Reign in Blood on one side and South of Heaven on the other (also before that years before I borrowed a tape off him with Schooly D and KRS-1, so he knew the score). I just guess it was one of those half a dozen times in your life when you mind is blown so hard, that a whole new path of discovery is laid out before you. I couldn't believe how awesome it sounded. Then Seasons in the Abyss came out and that was my favorite, I just loved that band so bad.

Robert my old mate from church joined a religious sect/cult abroad somewhere and lost the plot. And that's another story.

Slayer has good links to hip hop though as Rick Rubin has done some of the classics on both sides. RiB is a true classic. SoH and SitA are close behind. Hell awaits has a couple of greats. But the short bursts of total groove on Reign is pure bliss. Postmortem has to be one of my favourites.

Getting a bit obsessed with this album again, that fucking snare drum :)

Maybe I'm heading for another midlife crisis lol

Archived