IGNORED

Fat Shaming?

Audioblysk

I think about it this way, we as (still) animals are attracted to people who look healthy and fit, someone who would be an ideal partern, kind of like how the bird with the prettiest and colofour fathers atttact their counterparts.

Maybe im wrong tho, just trowing this idea out there.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know any mentally illness that forces people to eat cheeseburgers and lie on their ass playing video games all day?

And it is way easier said than done, but it's not impossible for anyone without psychical obstacles... psychical illness is a more logical excuse in my world.

I know I might come across a dick right now, but maybe you elaborate so I could understand it a bit more? - I might just be ignorant.

Why are you so concerned with the size of other human beings?

Anyway, so let's look at worldwide obesity rates:

Obesity_rates_have_increased_slideshow.j

Everyone's getting fatter.

Now, what are the chances that people in literally every westernized country in the world just simply decided to be lazy and gluttonous? There is definitely some Just World Hypothesis going on here: you are assuming that people are ultimately and entirely responsible for their own fate, and that everyone who is overweight is overweight simply by dint of their own doing.

What are the chances of that!?!

What's infinitely more likely is that the environment (e.g. food, advertisement, stress) has changed.

As I said, if you read everything I wrote, I'm only "concerned with the size other human beings" if they are whiny about it.

And are you seriously blaming advertisement for obesity? Whatever happened to personal responsibility in life? - are everybody just these easily manipulated headless chickens in your world?

I think the majority of people are sensible, resourceful and strong individuals, even the ones with mental illness are way more strong than you might think, they have to go through a lot of shit on a daily basis, so they're even stronger than the most of us.

Bechuga kind of touched on my opinion.

So instead of always feeling sorry for yourself, do something about it, most of us the western world have money for healthy food and a gym membership.

easier said then done, mate. aka mental illness. and I'm talking the majority of overweight individuals.

not sure where you've got the stats that the majority of overweight indvs weigh too much because of a mental illness. That's more than half of the european population with the majority having some kind of mental illness (which is related to their weight?). if you've got a source, be sure to present it. please?

Seeing the number is growing, especially for children, something's going on the growing up stage which doesn't help. I'm assuming it hasn't got much to do with mental illnesses and more with lifestyle related stuff. I could believe however, that when growing up like that, it would be nearly impossible to reverse it as an adult. And that it's not a thing like simply flipping a switch. At least, not for everyone.

http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/obesity/data-and-statistics

The challenge of obesity - quick statistics
  • The worldwide prevalence of obesity nearly doubled between 1980 and 2008. According to country estimates for 2008, over 50% of both men and women in the WHO European Region were overweight, and roughly 23% of women and 20% of men were obese.
  • Based on the latest estimates in European Union countries, overweight affects 30-70% and obesity affects 10-30% of adults.
  • Estimates of the number of overweight infants and children in the WHO European Region rose steadily from 1990 to 2008. Over 60% of children who are overweight before puberty will be overweight in early adulthood. Childhood obesity is strongly associated with risk factors for cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, orthopaedic problems, mental disorders, underachievement in school and lower self-esteem.

I no longer rely on statistics to form my opinion on the subject. I've had depression and social anxiety most of my life and I've known people who suffer alike and we all have weight issues due it them. In my case I've always had trouble keeping weight on and the others I know more commonly, vice versa. I've always garnered the idea that one cannot improve the health of ones body entirely before you take care of ones mental health.

I don't know any mentally illness that forces people to eat cheeseburgers and lie on their ass playing video games all day?

And it is way easier said than done, but it's not impossible for anyone without psychical obstacles... psychical illness is a more logical excuse in my world.

I know I might come across a dick right now, but maybe you elaborate so I could understand it a bit more? - I might just be ignorant.

Why are you so concerned with the size of other human beings?

Anyway, so let's look at worldwide obesity rates:

Obesity_rates_have_increased_slideshow.j

Everyone's getting fatter.

Now, what are the chances that people in literally every westernized country in the world just simply decided to be lazy and gluttonous? There is definitely some Just World Hypothesis going on here: you are assuming that people are ultimately and entirely responsible for their own fate, and that everyone who is overweight is overweight simply by dint of their own doing.

What are the chances of that!?!

What's infinitely more likely is that the environment (e.g. food, advertisement, stress) has changed.

That doesn't take away personal responsibility, tho. IMO.

fatkid.jpg

Look at this fat, lazy baby!

Seriously though, if you believe what you're saying, then the implication is that infants are getting fatter worldwide because of a moral failing or something?

fatkid.jpg

Seriously though, if you believe what you're saying, then the implication is that infants are getting fatter worldwide because of a moral failing or something?

Moral failing from their parents innit ?

fatkid.jpg

maybe, maybe not

So the working hypothesis is that moral failing has increased worldwide?

I'm also concerned about a thing said at the WHO site: that children need at least one hour of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity every day. And all I'm seeing is parents crying about their kids needing medication because they think they have ADHD.

I've always garnered the idea that one cannot improve the health of ones body entirely before you take care of ones mental health.

Mind and body are strongly connected. I don't believe you can 'cure' one without taking care of the other. And nobody is saying that, obvs.

IMO, it would be easier to start with the body than with the mind. The mind can be a deceptive thing. Physical exercise is as explicit as can be.

The problem with chalking this up to "moral responsibility" is that has almost zero explanatory power.

Why, then, is moral failing increasing worldwide? Why are people choosing to be fatter? Why is there an increased rate worldwide of people having weakness of character?

fatkid.jpg

maybe, maybe not

So the working hypothesis is that moral failing has increased worldwide?

Well yeah obviously.

I'll never blame fat people just because they're fat ! But I agree with Npoess here, really I don't get how some can eat junk food on a daily basis and complain about their chubbiness. Acquiring healthy food is not even difficult, especially in America when there is a larger number of farmer's markets than anywhere else.

The problem with chalking this up to "moral responsibility" is that has almost zero explanatory power.

Why, then, is moral failing increasing worldwide? Why are people choosing to be fatter? Why is there an increased rate worldwide of people having weakness of character?

One thing that's certainly not going to help the obesity pandemic in the western world, is accepting and labelling most people as weak individuals and never confronting them with it from a moral standpoint that says: your bad choices in life are alright, because you're not responsible for your own actions because as a human you're weak.

so like I said: Fair World Hypothesis

Do you guys think that poor people simply don't work as hard as rich people?

And now you're comparing poor people with fat people, that doesn't even make much sense, and is slightly distasteful since most poor people have a hard even getting food on the table every day (as opposed to obese people). Most poor people don't choose to be poor, that's an environmental and structural problem in society. Obesity can't exclusively be blamed on the "society" or surroundings, that has to given a way more personal responsibility for most people.

Guys, it's not an "either ... or" thing. You can argue all day, and at the end of the day each still has made good points without having won the argument. There is no single solution to issues like these.

Guys, it's not an "either ... or" thing. You can argue all day, and at the end of the day each still has made good points without having won the argument. There is no single solution to issues like these.

Hear, hear. Complex problems such as these do not have simple solutions.

One thing that's certainly not going to help the obesity pandemic in the western world, is accepting most people as weak characters and never confronting them with it from a moral standpoint that says: you're bad choices in life are alright, because you're not responsible for your own actions.

so like I said: Fair World Hypothesis

Do you guys think that poor people simply don't work as hard as rich people?

And now you're comparing poor people with fat people, that doesn't even make much sense. Poor people don't choose to be poor.

1) I'm not advocating the view that nobody is responsible for their own actions. I'm saying that you could effect obesity rates simply by tweaking environmental variables. That doesn't preclude moral responsibility.

2) One thing that's certainly not going to help the obesity pandemic poverty in the western world, is accepting most people as weak characters and never confronting them with it from a moral standpoint that says: you're bad choices in life are alright, because you're not responsible for your own actions.

Let's just get one thing clear here:

Fat people = have plenty of food

Poor people = have a hard time finding food on a daily basis

So who should I really the most sorry for?

- and why even compare the two? I think their problems are very far removed from each other tbh imo.

Who should I feel the most sorry for?

- and why even compare the two? I think their problems are very far removed from each other tbh imo.

Not disagreeing but it's important to consider the cost of healthy food and effect that might have on your weight as well.

Foods laden with high fructose corn syrup and other weight affecting additives and fillers are cheaper than whole foods that might help you lose weight.

Just saying that poor people at least in the western world are usually the fat ones.

But that's relatively poor people (which mostly exist in the west), I don't believe they don't have money for carrots if they have for chips and cola.. priorities. It's myth that healthy food is that expensive.

Absolutely poor people don't even have money for food to satiate themselves and their families, which are the majority in third world countries, these people are obviously what I'm referring to when we're talking poor people - just to be clear.

But that's relatively poor people (which mostly exist in the west), absolutely poor people don't have money for food like that.

Agreed!

Hear, hear. Complex problems such as these do not have simple solutions.

Also this.

So who should I really the most sorry for?

my point wasn't about food, it was about two comparable demographics

Archived