IGNORED

Fallout 4 is here...

Muflontillah

Now that they've got some decent combat, I'd love to see them make a new IP that's basically Fallout 4 minus VATS, placed in a more aesthetically interesting environment. Basically like Far Cry but with a more in depth stat system behind the scenes (and with Bethesda's knack for excellent worldbuilding/content). I lost interest in this game a few hours in because I'm so uninterested in spending my free time in a bombed out city or dead wasteland anymore. The last 15 years of gaming have made this style totally unappealing to me. Also it ignores the fact that 200 years after a nuclear explosion, plant life would be vibrant & thriving.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that they've got some decent combat, I'd love to see them make a new IP that's basically Fallout 4 minus VATS, placed in a more aesthetically interesting environment. Basically like Far Cry but with a more in depth stat system behind the scenes (and with Bethesda's knack for excellent worldbuilding/content). I lost interest in this game a few hours in because I'm so uninterested in spending my free time in a bombed out city or dead wasteland anymore. The last 15 years of gaming have made this style totally unappealing to me. Also it ignores the fact that 200 years after a nuclear explosion, plant life would be vibrant & thriving.

I guess Half-Life 2 popularized the trend for environments of bombed-out urban infrastructure, presumably to cast a bleak, apocalyptic vibe overall.

As for ecological revival following nuclear catastrophe, the Exclusion Zone in northern Ukraine proves a fine example, since wildlife is thriving there now. And this is thirty years after the Chernobyl NPP meltdown.

Agree, I love the world. I'm now a level 15 and haven't used power armor once in the game. Lots of dying. But I've maxed out my intelligence, charisma and strength (haven't touched lower level perks yet), and am on brotherhood of steel missions that send me for the first time into Cambridge. Haven't gone to Diamond City yet! Finding Cambridge to be challenging, there are super mutants and raiders everywhere, and with next to no agility it really requires some thinking to get through these enemies. Can't wait to get further though; just have to figure out how to defeat this neon glowing feral ghoul.

To Power Armor, or not to Power Armor?

With it, you obv get increased protection, but being it's the only armor type in the game subject to deterioration, it can be a pain in the arse to maintain, especially higher level PAs that require more materials. The mods tho...if you get a Jet Pack torso mod and Explosive Vent leg mods, you can go full Mario on a bitch.

To Power Armor, or not to Power Armor?

With it, you obv get increased protection, but being it's the only armor type in the game subject to deterioration, it can be a pain in the arse to maintain, especially higher level PAs that require more materials. The mods tho...if you get a Jet Pack torso mod and Explosive Vent leg mods, you can go full Mario on a bitch.

yeah, massive cbf

Well, hopefully Bethesda hears the voice acting complaints and releases alternate voice patches or DLC in the future.

I was a big fan of NV too. The DLC was awesome. Old World Blues was my favorite, mostly because of it's sense of humor. A NV sequel would be great.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post that when I was hunting deathclaws in the glowing sea with my fatman. I was killing them in one pull of the trigger. My fatman is legendary and shoots 2 projectiles at once. I can't remember where I got it, as I've had it for a while now. After a quick google search, it's called Big Boy and is sold by the weapons dealer Arturo in Diamond City. It's obviously expensive, but if you're like me, caps are easy to come by and aren't spent often. So saving up for it is easy.

I don't think I actively use any weapons that aren't legendary anymore. The majority of the time I'm either using my 10mm pistol that does 50% bonus dmg to humans on humans, a 10mm pistol that does 50 bonus points as radiation dmg on other enemies, and a .50 cal sniper rifle that does 50% bonus dmg to super mutants on anything that moves at a distance. The rest of my favorited/easy slot weapons are all legendary too, but those ones are my main choice. Not all, but lots of my armor is legendary too. And my follower Piper, who is now my wife, has a few legendary items on her, although I don't think it actually does much for improving her.

Agree, I love the world. I'm now a level 15 and haven't used power armor once in the game. Lots of dying. But I've maxed out my intelligence, charisma and strength (haven't touched lower level perks yet), and am on brotherhood of steel missions that send me for the first time into Cambridge. Haven't gone to Diamond City yet! Finding Cambridge to be challenging, there are super mutants and raiders everywhere, and with next to no agility it really requires some thinking to get through these enemies. Can't wait to get further though; just have to figure out how to defeat this neon glowing feral ghoul.

Ya, although not a fantasy I would want to experience in real life, obviously, this game world is fantastically fun.

I was having trouble with those glowing one's too at first. Now they're pretty easy, especially with a weapon that does 50% bonus dmg to ghouls. I'm thinking about eventually putting points into that perk that sometimes makes ghouls become friendly to you. Would be kinda cool to have some ghoul friends following you around for a while... I wonder if my wife Piper would be ok with my choice in friends...

There are a ton more locks to pick than terminals to hack, which makes sense. I have a couple hundred locks picked but am only 1 terminal hack away from getting the 50 hacks achieve. That makes me feel bad for messiaen.

The Glowing Sea is probably one of the best environmental transitions/vibe transitions I've ever experienced in any game. Only buzzkill though is the whole "200 years after the war" thing. Just doesn't seem to add up. Whatever, still dope.

Well it doesn't add up especially since nobody in the game actually cares about it, which is kind of bullshit. I don't even understand the point of going for that kind of plot if it doesn't matter in anything else than the main quest.

Yeah it feels like the Glowing Sea was just arbitrarily thrown into the game world. You'd think it would've been the site of a more recent nuclear detonation, but no apparent explanation is given whatsoever. At least in Lonesome Road DLC in F:NV any highly irradiated green area had an obvious reason for being so.

Legendary weapons....so far The Last Minute (Gauss Rifle) is my favorite. If it doesn't flatline your target in one hit, it should at least be an instant limb cripple, for as powerful as it is. Got a Mighty Plasma Rifle once too, which is a beast.

As for Piper, she struck me as rather annoying, to be honest. Upon first entering Diamond City, it looks like she had a mouth transplant from a chimpanzee when the dialogue camera zooms in on her. In fact, I ended up renaming my automatic pipe rifle "Piper's Pie Hole" just because she talks too damn much.

Dogmeat is my favorite follower by far, just because of his sheer canine loyalty. He'll never judge you, he'll always help you in a fight, and he enjoys sniffing out goodies locked in containers for you. Wish I could actually reward him with treats.

^ lol indeed. I have very little problem with the voice acting. the only place it's noticeable is on some non-essential holotapes scattered here and there.

Guest bitroast

getting full voice acting esp for a game as jam packed as fallout 4 is no easy feat.

and by easy i mean. it would be really, really expensive. so .. you know .. its fiiiine. really.

cant see bethesda going thru that process agsin for a patch update.

The problem with the voice is that it's one-dimensional. It mightn't bother you right now as it fits your character fine, but try and go for another playthrough as a madman, an arnold schwarzenegger dude or whatever... Well, it just doesn't work, because it's actually pretty wimpy. Even intimidation lines don't cut it.

But hey at least Bethesda tried. I just wish they went for a new engine instead of transforming the dialogue.

Guest bitroast

mm. yeah. ok good points.

it sort of dictactes the experience into making it a silly one by sheer default of the protagonists voice just being soo stupid. whenever he opens his mouth its just ... way too funny.

The Glowing Sea is probably one of the best environmental transitions/vibe transitions I've ever experienced in any game. Only buzzkill though is the whole "200 years after the war" thing. Just doesn't seem to add up. Whatever, still dope.

I just mean the fact that the Glowing sea was obv ground zero for an A bomb, so to have a comparatively pristine landscape so close kind of neutralizes the impact of that transition, when you think of the map as a whole. I get it, it is a game, not realistic in the least... but it weirdly breaks to immersion for me. It is the same thing with the fact that the world is still a huge a shit heap, but its 200 years after the war. Clearly humans are existing, if not thriving to some degree, why are you still building your homes out of garbage? Clean that shit up you lazy cunts.

*edit

This also applies to all the "pre-war" stuff, like pre war edible food. Money sitting around in perfect stacks. No no no. No. Just no.

That said, I really like the game, I just wish they would have considered all of these little details a bit more. This extends in to my criticism of the game play mechanics. I get that they want you to feel like a scavenger, but having your inventory filled with all of this implausible shit that you have to scrap really ruins the mood for me. Just let me pick up boxes of screws and nails and shit, not desk fans or boxes of asbestos that lying around, as though no other human has walked through the area any any point and thought to use it. JUST SAYING.

i made michael jackson, those vats slow motion kills are awesome with him but when you hear the voice actor it's pretty lame, i wish i could pitch his voice up

give screenshots

show us your jack, son

ok,maybe later when i get to a surgeon cause right now i'm walking around with king diamond corpsepaint. didn't get it quite right either cause of the "limitations" in the faceshaping

did manage to build the perfect mii jacko tough, destroyed so many player and mom's with him in mariokart

Archived