IGNORED

Fallout 4 is here...

Muflontillah

The download speed is going great/steady for me. Although I'm in Canada and you two are in Europe. So maybe just the EU-region steam servers are overloaded.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My videocard is just one model below the minimum specs unfortunately (needs a GeForce 550, mine's a 540). Though I've not even touched the DLC of Fallout 3 or started New Vegas yet so by the time I get through those (~ the year 2023) I might eventually get a new lappy

My videocard is just one model below the minimum specs unfortunately (needs a GeForce 550, mine's a 540). Though I've not even touched the DLC of Fallout 3 or started New Vegas yet so by the time I get through those (~ the year 2023) I might eventually get a new lappy

I got a Lenovo Y50 laptop last year because Alienwares are expensive and corny-looking. Runs great. I think you can still buy them for about 660 quid.

So I've already put in 3 hours, according to Steam. I had some initial difficulty getting it to work, but then discovered that it has to be set to Windowed/Borderless mode if you're playing on PC, which is kind of annoying. I hope Bethesda will fix it to where it can actually be played in Fullscreen mode, rather than being stuck in a black screen with a blue ring loading cursor.

Aside from that, performance exceeded my expectations. I already see the crafting potential for weapons, armor, and structures in this game is vast. I'll do my best not to drop any plot spoilers, except one - that FO4 does in fact take place after New Vegas, as I learned from dialogue with one of the NPCs in-game, after the Great War. Also has a more solemn, desperate vibe overall, compared to FO3 - which I felt had almost Disney-like sentimentality in comparison to this latest installment.

All I ask is Bethesda make the game playable on Fullscreen on PC instead of Windowed only. Other than that, this is just the beginning of a long game adventure.

What I want from Fallout 4 is for it to capture that unique element of satisfaction that I got pottering around Fallout 3's Capital Wasteland listening to Three Dog talk about you on Galaxy News Radio. I enjoyed New Vegas, but it disappointed me that it didn't have that charm to it.

From what I've seen of it already the UI looks kind of clunky and made more for consoles, and while the graphics are pretty similar to Skyrim's, that doesn't bother me. I'm not the type to pre-order games, but I think I'm just going to wait a little until bugs are fixed and mods are released so I can get the most out of my Fallout experience. The load times are apparently aren't great unless you're running it from an SSD, too.

I'm looking forward to the improved gunplay, the longer storylines and such, but I reckon I'm going just to wait until the issues have been ironed out before I buy it. The whole idea of your character having a preset personality and voice when it come out of the vault is a bit disappointing too, I really enjoyed being able to have that immersion when playing Fallout, and I think it'll be broken when I have a voice. I just enjoyed the idea of it being basically you who was walking out of the vault, and you're able to act as you would've acted.

I don't know, I suppose I'll have to check more gameplay of it to be sure on how I feel I guess.

seems fun so far, mostly just excited to have a brand new wasteland to explore, but i cannot see anything when night falls. anyone got any idea how to manually alter the brightness? i only have a cheapass monitor, its on its brightest setting but yeah iu pretty much have to find a chair and wait for morning at the moment because there are no ingame brightness controls.

On Fallout 3 yer PipBoy had a glowlight you could activate when you held down for a second the key/button for getting to the inventory screen. Try the same thing, might be that!

seems fun so far, mostly just excited to have a brand new wasteland to explore, but i cannot see anything when night falls. anyone got any idea how to manually alter the brightness? i only have a cheapass monitor, its on its brightest setting but yeah iu pretty much have to find a chair and wait for morning at the moment because there are no ingame brightness controls.

On Fallout 3 yer PipBoy had a glowlight you could activate when you held down for a second the key/button for getting to the inventory screen. Try the same thing, might be that!

yeah just hold inventory button and your pipboy lights up.

honestly, one of the best games I've ever played and I've only scratched the surface.

couldn't do only melee cause it seems too limited, but oh well.

First time I manage to almost recreate myself in a game with a mugshot pic as a model. Really an awesome and extensive tool, way more concrete than what you see in most Asian games that have sliders that don't mean much.

I've already spent hours organizing my town and building myself some kind of tower shack.

Graphically disappointing, it looks just like a slightly improved The Elder Scrolls Online with more lighting effects, which is really not a good thing. That content though, this game delivers...

I'd say for now this is a typical Bethesda delivery, which is the promise of very good times no matter how they look like.

Damn this game is getting a lot of backlash right now on social media and review sites. Aside from that annoying windowed-mode-only issue, I don't get why there's so much flak.

I reckon the vast majority of gamers today are hard to please.

apart from windowed mode im having a great time. no idea what people were expecting after new vegas, but this is pretty much exactly what i wanted. also knowing there is no level limit, and from what i can roughly count, around 240 possible points to spend on levelling up, im excited for the journey. the level 20 hardcap was the worst thing about the first games.

if I didn't really dig New Vegas, would I like this one..?

I was enjoying the original fallout 3 quite a bit, but new Vegas was kinda meh, I felt.. the plot/character writing seemed a lot weaker somehow.. basically the only memory I have is that I was mega annoyed that they put Romans in the game (really? Romans?), I went and annihilated all of them including their main base, which was way too easy considering how many they were.

fallout 3 otoh there were so many compelling quirky little things to explore, and so much lols.. felt like this was totally missing from Vegas.

Where does Fallout 4 stand in this regard?

Guest bitroast

Fallout 3 / Oblivion / skyrim all had pretty annoying unskippable intros that set the scene / force you to navigate boring cave/closed off area before accessing the open world. Happy to be out in open finallly :):)

One thing i can recommend is to QUICK SAVE regularly. Pretty early on i managed to exhaust minigun ammo on pretty much nothing (trying to wipeout the bandits from rooftop vantage point) and then had autosave kick in with 0 ammo, and got stuck on what seems like pretty preliminary still intro mission with 0 ammo or realistic happy means of progressing.

What I want from Fallout 4 is for it to capture that unique element of satisfaction that I got pottering around Fallout 3's Capital Wasteland listening to Three Dog talk about you on Galaxy News Radio. I enjoyed New Vegas, but it disappointed me that it didn't have that charm to it.

From what I've seen of it already the UI looks kind of clunky and made more for consoles, and while the graphics are pretty similar to Skyrim's, that doesn't bother me. I'm not the type to pre-order games, but I think I'm just going to wait a little until bugs are fixed and mods are released so I can get the most out of my Fallout experience. The load times are apparently aren't great unless you're running it from an SSD, too.

I'm looking forward to the improved gunplay, the longer storylines and such, but I reckon I'm going just to wait until the issues have been ironed out before I buy it. The whole idea of your character having a preset personality and voice when it come out of the vault is a bit disappointing too, I really enjoyed being able to have that immersion when playing Fallout, and I think it'll be broken when I have a voice. I just enjoyed the idea of it being basically you who was walking out of the vault, and you're able to act as you would've acted.

I don't know, I suppose I'll have to check more gameplay of it to be sure on how I feel I guess.

Uh, what issues? This game already has less issues than Fallout 3 has now, many years after it's been released. There really hasn't been any bugs worthy of complaining about, except on the XBone, where some people have reported the framerate dropping down to 0fps. But my buddy has it for XBone and hasn't had that problem at all. Sure there may be some needed touch ups here and there, but I think it's definitely worth buying the game now without having to worry about bugs killing the gameplay experience.

As for the character you play, yes the voice is predetermined, which has pros and cons and will take some getting used to in a Fallout setting. His personality, however, is not predetermined or preset. You still make all the decisions and can play just like you would with previous fallout games.

Also, I loved Three Dog in Fallout 3 as well and am also hoping they have something similar in 4 to help immerse you with a good sense of humor.

As if all the scathing reviews aren't bad enough, now there are major plot spoilers circulating on social media. Why do people have to be shitheads?
Despite having caught wind of these, I'm gonna keep playing because I still think it's a solid game.

As a warning, just stay away from anything Fallout 4 related on social media if you don't want to see some random dipshit give away the plot.

Game is awesome.

Out there in the wasteland cruising around with my dog listening to classical music.

Occasionally chop a bug or mutant with a machette. Get killed by giant mutant beast

Cool

For reals though, enjoying it a lot. No disappointments for me so far.

Loving this game. They managed to make crafting not feel grindy. The environments and the enemies are terrifying and beautiful. The legendary drops are so sick. I got a pistol that shoots exploding bullets yesterday. One criticism is the enemy pathing makes cheesing super easy. I killed a yao guai simply by moving back and forth over a road barrier. Sometimes the AI pathing also makes it extremely hard to hit your shots, because it seems random/glitchy. Also, what's the deal with only being able to equip one hand with a melee item? The pathing really makes for some lulsy occurrences. I had a deathclaw throw a truck up in the air, and then jump over it...

Archived